C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many people use run flat

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 PM
Lebarnh
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered new Run Flats this week. As has already been said, not taking any chances.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:21 PM
rjkrumb
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my vette tires with another set of runflats, my wife drives the car once in a while on trips over 250 miles just for peace of mind. I replaced the goodyears with Michelin's much better ride and less noise. If it was a daily driver around town and short drives I would go with non runflats
Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: I like and use the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval rft. I am on my 5th set, they have a nice water channel for driving in the rain. My 07 is a DD and I drive on the HWY, due to all the road work there are no shoulders to pull off. As always, each to their own.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
run flats are terrible.. just terrible.. it was like driving a DIFFERENT car with the non RF tires i put on.. i couldn't believe it was that drastic and I have F55 mag ride...
Were you using the Goodyear's that came with the Vet, or some other brand. The Goodyear's are trash IMO.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,679 Posts

I just put Michelin Pilot super sports run flats on today and I think they are great . They are not any noisier or ride any harder than the non run flats that I took off

Dave
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
Here is the story. It is a rainy night in a bad neighborhood and you run over a chunk of metal and you cut a tire. What happens next is your story. Think about it and buy what you want.
This scenerio is not how I roll....oh the drama!

Rainy night in a bad neighborhood, a couple of bad choices already.

Going on 52 yrs off driving, and have only had to change a tire on the road once.

Ride comfort every mile, worth the risk for me.

Also have been stranded one other time when a clutch went out. Granted not fun on the side of the road.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:10 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I run run flats on my Corvettes and always have. We take several trips a year and I want to be able to get somewhere. Some will say to get a plug kit and a compressor and go but try plugging a tire at 10:00 pm by the side of the road.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:42 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,202 Likes on 2,688 Posts

Gosh, do I have to post this picture every time a RF vs non RF thread comes up?

This blowout would probably have shredded the tire, and created a dangerous situation on a non RF tire.

HOWEVER, it did not. No indication other than the giant bang and the TPMS saying it was flat, no handling issues on the blowout.

This tire was able to be driven w/o an intact bead for 30 miles. Probably could have been driven many more miles, if necessary.

I'm tired. tomorrow I will tell you about another sidewall blowout on a rainy sunday morning.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:49 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

We chose run flats because the Vette is my wife's daily driver, although I drive it 2-3 days a week as well.

She drives to work when it is still dark, and occasionally she works until after dark. I didn't want her to have to pull off to the side of the road and try to pump up the tire, and seal it and all that.

If I drove it more often than she did, I might have gone with regular tires.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:06 AM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My used vert came with 3 year old Mischelin run flats. I like them.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:15 AM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Run flats have been in use by auto makers since the early 1990's. The vehicles that have run flat tires as stock tire equipment, have the chassis and suspension tuned to work with this sidewall stiffness, and this type of tire.

The safety benefits of run flat tires are greater than any possible trade offs mentioned in ride, price, wear rate, fuel mileage, or what ever conclusion you may have.

There is a reason why, every model year, more and more vehicles come equipped with run flats, and it isn't because they are cheaper than a spare and a jack.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:17 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

This is a FS WO RF with 30,000 on it. Quiet, grippy in the dry and the wet.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2015, 07:52 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 211 Posts

Read all the consumer reports on run flats, you will see that they have tremendously more susceptible to side wall blowouts and chosen as one of the most hated inventions by consumers and the service industry. Lets see, more comfortable ride, much better handling and stopping, longer life, always on shelf, and lot less money, for me non run flats are win win win. I personally rather carry a repair kit and take my chances with an unlikely event of a flat. Including my 79 and 89 vette and my 99 volvo which i had since new, the spare in the trunk was never used even once. My very recent new volvo has non run flats and no spare.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 139 Likes on 130 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I had runflats and bought runflats, better safe the sorry
very true, indeed
Old 10-31-2015, 08:21 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 279 Posts

I replaced the GY RFT's on my 13 GS Convertible at 15,000 miles because they were worn out. Hated them. Bought Bridgestone Potenza RFT's and love them. Quieter and smoother riding. I have 8,000 miles on the Bridgestone's and they show very little wear. Piece of mind for the long road trips we make. We drive the Vette about 12,000 miles a year.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The last time a bought run flats, I bought Michelins which made a huge difference in handling and with much less road noise.

That was 2007. I now run non-run flats.

With the shelf life of tires, run flats are not purchased as much which could account for the tire dealers not stocking them.

You really can't have the idea the run flats you put on will be there forever if you don't use the car much. The rubber will deteriorate before you get their full use.

This reminds me of a story...The last weekend of May this year, about 80 Corvettes gathered in Bar Harbor, ME (we do this every year). There was a fellow Corvette C6 owner with a slow leak. One owner bought out this fantastic small jack and jacked up the car, another brought out his tire repair kit, finally another owner brought out his plastic lined wheel nut socket set as to not mar this owner's new wheels. It was friendship at it's best! A bunch of us were looking on cheering. It was a grand moment! I should have made a list and part numbers of those tools. They were just perfect and took very little room!

Chuck M

Last edited by hotmotorsports; 10-31-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:13 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
What if, what if, what if, what if, what if......to death.
Amen to that!

I'm running the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3, (what if I get caught in the rain).

Get notified of new replies

To how many people use run flat

Old 10-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 558 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally I had planned on going non-run flat when I replaced the original tires; a road trip prior to then changed my mine. My wife and I were on our back home down the ET highway in the middle of the summer when I got a flat. I was in the middle of the desert, nearest town was over 50 miles away, there was no phone reception and it was 115+ degrees out. I was able to drive to the next town & get my flat repaired. As we do a lot of road trips, my mind was changed and have run RF's ever since. The RF I'm currently running and plan on using again are the Michelin Pilots.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:21 AM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my car from the dealer and it obviously had run flats on it. traction was decent, but I knew for a car like the vette a better tire will bring out it's features much more so I decided to sell the run flats and get some nitto invos. They are quieter and perform A LOT better. For me it's worth the risk. I also carry all the goodies, slime, air pump and a tire patch kit. I don't travel through "bad" neighborhoods so I'm not worried about that. Worst case scenario is I have to call a tow truck which my insurance covers anyway.

Now I'm sure since I wrote this post I will get a blow out today and happen to somehow be in the worst neighborhood in Philly lol.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It depends on the type of driving you do, then it also depends upon the supposed amount of risk you are willing to take if you believe you will get a tire sidewall blow out.

For me, I do a lot of road trips, and like the quiet ride of non runflats, so that is what I opted for.
I carry an air pump, a can of slime, a plug kit, a cell phone, OnStar, a pair of side cutter pliers, etc.
I've picked up a few nail/screws and the TMPS let me know I was losing air slowly. At the next rest stop, I pumped the tire up in pressure, then later that afternoon, I pulled out the screw, put in a plug at the hotel, and finished the 4500 mile road with no further incidents.
If I ever get a blow out (rare), then I'll worry about that at the time.
I always travel during daylight hours while on road trips, so no worries about those things happening at night in my situation.
I'm on my 3rd set of Firestone, non runflats and 75K miles.
BTW, the odds of getting a replacement Non runflat tire is much better than getting a replacement RF tire while travelling.
Good Luck in your decision.
I'm very happy with my Firestone Wide Oval non run flats. Just got back from a 3200 mile road trip, and the tires did great on dry road, and really good in a couple monsoons we drove through. They are also smooth, and quiet. You'll hear many different opinions, so good on your decision.

Quick Reply: how many people use run flat