C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! Car and Driver rips the C7 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Car and Driver. Nuff said.
I remember years ago one of the major car magazines voted the Renault LeCar the car of the year! The paint fell off in less than three months. Reliability was no better than the paint. It was a little better in the long run, than the Yugos, which fortunately came with a heated back glass to keep your hands warm as you pushed it! It always seemed to me that they always had a pn ax to grind with the American auto industry.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I don't know why people are happy about this. It's not like it makes your car any better. I don't think I've seen a forum with more C7 haters than the Corvette Forum. Strange.
Hey uh VILLAGE....can you say "BIAS".
Old 11-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
I remember years ago one of the major car magazines voted the Renault LeCar the car of the year! The paint fell off in less than three months. Reliability was no better than the paint. It was a little better in the long run, than the Yugos, which fortunately came with a heated back glass to keep your hands warm as you pushed it! It always seemed to me that they always had a pn ax to grind with the American auto industry.
I was wrong, sorry, it was the Renault Alliance, built by French owned American Motors in Wisconsin! Still a sorry car.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM
beamg5
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't know why people are happy about this. It's not like it makes your car any better. I don't think I've seen a forum with more C7 haters than the Corvette Forum. Strange.
________________________________________ ____________________

I'm not convinced that anyone is particularly happy, nor do they hate an inanimate object, like the C7 Corvette. I, along with more than a few forum members, have simply stated on numerous occasions that I/we DO NOT like the appearance of the C7 - particularly it's "camaroish" rear end !!

The C7's obvious functional inability to impress reviewers, on multiple occasions, is simply another reason to stay clear of the C7 IF your already comfortable with your present Corvette - a C6, or otherwise.

That is................why, with the prevailing winds blowing against the C7, does anyone feel compelled to trade/sell a "sure thing," a tried and true product if you will, for potential trouble, a less attractive auto, and a $95K (or more) debit against their financial holdings -or perhaps worse yet- a $1000+ a month payment with a long-term note ?

Gary
Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cuspid
consumers reports listed the c7 #5 on the least reliable list in the December issue. #1 is the fiat 500.
Yes, I just read the current issue and was very disappointed to see the C7 vette place so low in reliability. Frankly, I was stunned. I thought GM was moving forward in quality. I guess not so much.

Last edited by ZR1Cat; 11-02-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

GM has said that every significant part on the new Vette is different from the C6, so any problems of the C7 have nothing to do with our cars.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
Yes, I just read the current issue and was very disappointed to see the C7 vette place so low in reliability. Frankly, I was stunned. I thought GM was moving forward in quality. I guess not so much.

It appears the C7 vette has reverted back to the days prior to the Bowling Green plant when they were built in the St Louis plant. Believe me after owning many pre Bowling Green vettes they were pretty bad from a quality standpoint. They looked good but that is where the positives ended.

Maybe the C8 will finally be the car that the C7 was originally intended to be. Tadge in an interview I watched that he gave not long after the C7 was introduced admitted that the C7 ended up being a evolutionary move instead of the original revolutionary mid engine design that was the original goal. That was caused because the design process was interrupted by GM's bankruptcy causing them to scale the design process back to accommodate for the lost design time and money constraints.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Why is anyone shocked that an all new car has so many issues? 1st year bugs are common with almost any new car model. If your one of those that must have the model as soon as it's out you gonna have to deal with issues till the kinks are worked out.

Last edited by GrandSportRob; 11-02-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
Why is anyone shocked that an all new car has so many issues? 1st year bugs are common with almost any new car model. If your one of those that must have the model as soon as it's out you gonna have to deal with issues till the kinks are worked out.
The problem is that the C7 is now into its third year of production and the quality control problems are still happening.

My 2007 C6 convert was a very early 3rd year of production car and it just turned 9 years old last week and to date all I have had to fix or replace are the windshield wiper refills and the gas struts that hold open the trunk. I did notice that the gas struts on the hood are getting weak and barely hold the hood open compared to when they were new so may have to replace them soon but other than that all I have had to do was the normal scheduled maintenance.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by beamg5
________________________________________ ____________________

I'm not convinced that anyone is particularly happy, nor do they hate an inanimate object, like the C7 Corvette. I, along with more than a few forum members, have simply stated on numerous occasions that I/we DO NOT like the appearance of the C7 - particularly it's "camaroish" rear end !!

The C7's obvious functional inability to impress reviewers, on multiple occasions, is simply another reason to stay clear of the C7 IF your already comfortable with your present Corvette - a C6, or otherwise.

That is................why, with the prevailing winds blowing against the C7, does anyone feel compelled to trade/sell a "sure thing," a tried and true product if you will, for potential trouble, a less attractive auto, and a $95K (or more) debit against their financial holdings -or perhaps worse yet- a $1000+ a month payment with a long-term note ?

Gary
Because, it's objectively better in almost every objectively quantifiable way?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:11 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
I was wrong, sorry, it was the Renault Alliance, built by French owned American Motors in Wisconsin! Still a sorry car.
You had to remind me. I bought one on that recommendation. It is a toss up for the worst car I ever owned, along with a BMW 325xi. I got ride of each one in about 2 years after countless problems.

Unlike the discussions on some other threads I have had good luck with GM, including my vettes.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Car and Driver. Nuff said.

I agree. Car and Driver hates anything made in America/Canada. They almost never mention all the problems that Japanese and European brands have. You know like Honda transmissions failing or how Mercedes cars fall apart and are too expensive to repair or sell for 20% of their original value 5 years later. I could go on and on. It is disconcerting to hear about the new Vettes though. I personally know of some GM workers that have had thier jobs threatened by trying to reject defective parts during the testing process. Dang corporate bean counters!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

+1. Everyone here feels like they have something to prove to be relevant still and dis the new cars. I loved my C6 for the 3.5 years I owned it.

As always you only hear about the bad experiences and no one with good experiences ever makes much noise.

Last edited by SK360; 11-02-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Vettin Man
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I loved my 2015 but I didn't have it all that long. I am ordering another one though so all this drama doesn't bother me obviously. I am glad that I kept my 60th Anniversary 427 Convertible though. No one will pry that thing away from me. Oops.....someone will now start ragging on the LS7. Whatever.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettin Man
I loved my 2015 but I didn't have it all that long. I am ordering another one though so all this drama doesn't bother me obviously. I am glad that I kept my 60th Anniversary 427 Convertible though. No one will pry that thing away from me. Oops.....someone will now start ragging on the LS7. Whatever.
Wow, we're not even done with 2015 yet...
Old 11-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
never buy the first ones of any new product
can't agree with this...two of my three vehicles (all GM) are first year models and have been exceptionally reliable, and as a matter of fact my 07 C6 had the same issues that the prior year models had which means GM never bothered to fix them
Old 11-02-2015, 06:43 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

consumers reports listed the c7 #5 on the least reliable list in the December issue. #1 is the fiat 500.
Saw the same consumers mag. Hold on to your c6 as it just may be worth more than we thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Wow! Car and Driver rips the C7 Z51

Old 11-02-2015, 07:23 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I have a first year 4th gen camaro and onto my 2nd 05 c6. (wicked rain storm crash/write off on 1st c6, not the car's fault_

The camaro engine I spun a rod bearing @ 150k miles, finally broke the rear@ 200k miles and had misc things like a broken upper control arm in the past year. I've had it since 40k miles in 05.

GM quality for 1st year cars is not as bad as it seems, but comparing 05 reviews and 98 reviews of my cars vs the c7 launch and a few years later seem to indicate otherwise.

Last edited by SladeX; 11-02-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default first year, skip it

Originally Posted by Seadawg
The 2005 C6 owners took a similar beating, when they first came out.

Once they get the new model kinks out, it will be a another great vette
yup, had a 2005, real pain, had the first year of 2nd gen Prius (yup, I admit it) and it had some real problems......
Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Yet another Top Five Finish to add to the trophy case!

Quick Reply: Wow! Car and Driver rips the C7 Z51