C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People vandalizing your Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
JKHolman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ...

Originally Posted by jrose7004
There are a lot of people that I notice don't have the ability to drive large trucks in everyday life. They park too close because they have no idea how big their truck is.
Oh,...they know.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:26 AM
JKHolman
Racer

Default ...

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
In this case both vehicles are parked legally (backing into a space isn't legal everywhere though), but the parking spots are way too narrow. Blame the business for that.
Take a close look at the photo - The truck parked closer to the away line to give the Corvette ample room. On the away side is another vehicle. The truck ensured safe parking for himself, but was careful to give the Corvette enough room all the same. He was looking out for his (what appears to be) shiny truck, which is his prerogative.
I myself will park next to a shiny, nice vehicle if I cannot isolate my parking.

Edit: taking another look at the photo, I realize that makes a tight fit for the Corvette driver. I stand corrected.

- JKHolman

Last edited by JKHolman; 01-14-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: ...upon further review...
Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF
God Bless Handicapped Parking

USAF
Amen brother!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:56 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
No, they are not, and if you think this is acceptable, this attitude is part of the problem. Harming someone else's car is not acceptable, however inadvertently or minor in your eyes, and thinking the damage you left behind is just part of life, and not your responsibility, is just wrong, both morally and legally. Everyday, more and more people think this way.

And THIS is why most of us park WAY out in the North 40.
Assume much? I lightly scratched a couple other vehicles over the years... which somehow means I took no responsibility? And naturally I see this damage as minor? Maybe I should have told the whole story, but at the time I posted, I just didn't foresee these assumptions coming from CF. Now I know better.

One of the vehicle owners was right there, and we talked. The other, I waited about 20 minutes before they came out, then we talked. To answer your question, no I did not leave a note because it was not necessary. I definitely would have left a note for the second owner if they did not appear. In both cases, I offered to fix it, and we resolved the issue to our satisfaction, right there and then. I was early-mid 20s those instances... pretty responsible, yes?

I agree, door dings are not acceptable. But I do choose to accept them. Here is what I mean: for the damage to my vehicles that other people leave behind, I choose to accept it as part of owning and driving a vehicle. I do this for my own serenity. No matter how regularly or how far I park out in the "back 40," sooner or later I find a scratch or scuff on my paint. Otherwise, what do you suggest when I find new damage? Stay upset and miserable for a week? Wait for hours for the owner to appear (or not) and then accuse them, only to find it was not them but the previous vehicle that parked next to me, who is long gone? See... there's more to my life than a sports car, and to me, a small scratch is not worth losing my mind over. This doesn't mean I don't care at all -- I am considering that other people feel differently about this -- but I do pick my battles, for myself.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:00 PM
beefC4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I alway try to find and end where I can swing that enormous door open.
The following users liked this post:
02Zvert06 (01-21-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 04:07 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I guess you missed the part where I asked in bold type:

"Did you leave a note? With contact info?"

No offense intended. Glad to hear that there are still some honorable people around.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by beefC4
I alway try to find and end where I can swing that enormous door open.
Amen. I park so I can get in and out of the car. I like to open that door all the way getting in and getting out.
So I try to park "alone" out of the way. I like to walk too. It's good for me.

But I've not chosen wisely a bunch of times. I can't read minds ahead of time. They find me and park close to the drivers door so I can't swing it open enough.

It's amazing how a motel parking lot fills up overnight even though you thought you parked where no one would want to park next to you.

Mike
Old 01-15-2016, 03:11 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
The thing that I absolutely do not understand in the slightest is when I deliberately park my car out on the fringe of the parking lot, where the nearest car is probably 15-20 parking spots away...

and when I come back out to my car, there is always at least that one annoying driver that parked right next to me in their ordinary vehicle, on the fringe of the parking lot. Never mind there were dozens of other parking spots all around my car and several much closer parking spots to the store/building that were also available.

I mean, they have to know that I'm trying to avoid other vehicles when they yank their clunker in next to my Z...
I might be that guy. Sometimes I will "run interference" for a Corvette by parking near it. I know I will not hurt it, and want to protect him. Especially if he only has one open side. Then it's like tucking the car safely into the cradle. Nighty-night.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Steener
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
In this case both vehicles are parked legally (backing into a space isn't legal everywhere though), but the parking spots are way too narrow. Blame the business for that.
Agreed - parking slots at the malls seem to get a little tighter every time they repaint the lines. With all the SUVs and big pickups out there these days, they should be making the spots bigger.

I usually park a little off by myself, leaving maybe half a dozen empties between me and the next guy. I must say, about half the time, when I get back to my car, someone will have parked right next to me, even though there's still four or five empty spots closer to the store to choose from.

Once in awhile though, I'll come out and another vette will have parked beside me. That's kinda nice.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:51 AM
_razar_
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This required some gymnastics to get in the car.... waited about 20mins for the other person but couldn't wait any longer.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:12 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I park out in the north 40 usually as far from the group as I can. I will sometimes see a car which has parked near me too but in all cases, it's been another who wants to be apart from the opening door war.

Taking two spaces, in close or out far is the same as putting a sign on your car, "Please key me."
Old 01-15-2016, 10:35 AM
JKHolman
Racer

Default Nice...!

Originally Posted by _razar_
This required some gymnastics to get in the car.... waited about 20mins for the other person but couldn't wait any longer.

You have one hot looking Corvette! At least WE got to see her.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:46 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Lets see i've walked out to my cars to find....

My C5, someone put out their cigarette on my rear bumper near the hatch, and had the nerve to leave the cigarette butt their. It left a yellowish brown stain. Same car, my driver window was shattered by a basketball. How do i know, the ball was left right next to the car.

My C6, someone tossed half a watermelon on the hood.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:54 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Picture says it all, went out to dinner, come back to big *** scratch on my car. I only had it for 3 days at this point.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

It is illegal in most communities to park next to a Corvette, unless it is another Corvette.
JKHolman (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 05:03 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by bgspot
Lets see i've walked out to my cars to find....

My C5, someone put out their cigarette on my rear bumper near the hatch, and had the nerve to leave the cigarette butt their. It left a yellowish brown stain. Same car, my driver window was shattered by a basketball. How do i know, the ball was left right next to the car.

My C6, someone tossed half a watermelon on the hood.
Can you tell me where you live so I don't park my C6 anywhere near there while on a road trip?
Old 01-15-2016, 05:43 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Can you tell me where you live so I don't park my C6 anywhere near there while on a road trip?
Bossier City, LA.

Get notified of new replies

To People vandalizing your Corvette

Old 01-16-2016, 12:34 AM
ZR1OUS
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
Picture says it all, went out to dinner, come back to big *** scratch on my car. I only had it for 3 days at this point.
I would love to walk up on someone doing that with an aluminum baseball bat...and yes it would have to aluminum not wood so it will not break. F'N Loser
Old 01-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't care if you park next to my car. I take pride in my car and its appearance. If you are one of those who thinks damage to another persons $100,000 car is just part of ownership I say beware of the man with a bad attitude and a three pound ball peen hammer in the trunk.
JKHolman (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 07:41 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BROCKYJACK
Amen brother!
I get dirty looks when I park in the crippled parking spot as get out of the Vette!! Then my wife gets out with her cane and all is well!!

Quick Reply: People vandalizing your Corvette