C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People vandalizing your Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:42 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Most cities have requirements for the size and number of parking spaces for any development! The bad thing is most developers will make them the minimum size to get more spaces in!!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:50 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
Picture says it all, went out to dinner, come back to big *** scratch on my car. I only had it for 3 days at this point.
damn! wouldn't you love to get your hands on that guy? sorry that happened
Old 01-16-2016, 08:17 AM
roboticjunky
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 3 different times that someone had sliced 1 tire on my Vette while it was sitting at my house. 2 of the times, the car said I had normal tire pressure.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Not a Vette but I parked my M3 at the airport a few years ago and came back a day later to find that someone stabbed a 1/2" hole in the hood with a screwdriver or umbrella.

The parking garage at my office recently started ticketing cars that don't park within the lines. It's only $5 but within a week every car was neatly parked and the number of available spaces increased about 10%.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 AM
desue
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually find a curb or end parking spot and hug the curb side, giving myself plenty of door opening room. I have found that people will park next to you if you are the only one on that row.
Also common are those AH's that ride your butt, then pass you and swerve back over so close that you think they will take your front end out...those people who try to "race" you, the ones you are at a stop light with, light turns green and they take off like a bat out of hell, maybe to say they beat a Corvette.
If I see another nice car in a parking lot, I do tend to park respectfully next to it (safety in numbers?? haha) and I have come out to find someone with a nice car parked next to me.
As far as vandalism....I found a huge wad of gum on the back bumper of the 79. People can be so hateful (jealousy most likely).
Doesn't just stop at Vettes, we found 2 door dings in our new Camaro in the first week we had it. But that's fixed now since he hit a deer in November, causing $9k in damage.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:34 PM
dbischoff
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On a positive note: I went to home depot to get a few things one day, and parked away from the doors where the lot was mostly empty. I came out to find this cool bright green Porsche parked next to by Z06. Great color contrast, and I know that driver was as concerned for their paint as I am for mine.

The following users liked this post:
Carvin (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Guy2004
.... More than likely he is trying in his mind to send you a message "Hey you are no better than me" ...
That is usually the case.

Perhaps I should get a note to post on a window, I usually will part my beater next to a 'vette. As I said in another post, somebody did that for my 'vette and now I pay it forward.

my 2 cents
Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NMJoe
I'm of the opinion that likeminded drivers who take pride in their cars may tend to park next to vehicles they perceive to be well cared for. My office has ~600 parking spots and by 8:30 AM 95% are taken. Only a few are those 600 spaces are extra wide and well positioned spots that I strive to find anytime I drive one of my vehicles. So, several of us park at the far end of the lot, which is the last area to fill up, and we all park next to each other. An Audi, a BWM or two, a Chevy truck, a Camero, my GS... We all are car guys who take good care of our cars and each of us knows the other isn't out there to be a jerk. To the contrary, we all take pride in our cars and have high confidence that the other owners parking out there want the same thing, which is to leave for the day with our cars and trucks in the same condition as when we arrived.

So I am generally comfortable when I walk out of a store and see that another well cared for car is next to mine, as I think, in those situations, both drivers are seeking the same thing.

Just my outlook on it and everyone has their own viewpoint.

NMJ
This has been my experience as well. People (especially with nice cars) like to park next to nice cars because they know the driver will respect their space and be careful when entering / exiting their vehicle. Many times I have parked in an empty area of a lot only to find a nice vehicle parked to mine. I don't have any issue with it.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6477520
The etiquette is "stay right except to pass." Everyone benefits when we move left, pass, then move right. It shocks me to learn how few drivers are are aware of this. This may not be your situation Proud Owner. But I do know it happens way too much that people camp out in the left lane. That kind of driving is what caused an accident that totaled my first Corvette.
When I am driving in left lane rarely does anybody come up behind me. And if they do I always get to the right and let them pass. Respect. Now if I drove in the right lanes I would be switching lanes over and over and over again. Today a pack of us driving north on George Bush Tollway from arlington came up on a guy in a Honda talking on his phone and driving slow in the passing lane. The guy right behind him passed him and threw a bottle at him which made us laugh. He stayed in the left hand passing lane driving slow.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by TheLadyC6
That is usually the case.

Perhaps I should get a note to post on a window, I usually will part my beater next to a 'vette. As I said in another post, somebody did that for my 'vette and now I pay it forward.

my 2 cents
Or you could get a "My Other Car is a Corvette" sticker
Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 PM
lemans ed
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Proud Owner
What about other drivers riding your ***. One to many times I have looked in rear view mirror and what looks like another car is super glued to my ***.
I have experienced this on several occasions; used to think there was an invisible sign on the back of my Vette only they could see that said "please follow me as close as humanly possible."
Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM
lemans ed
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I don't think that's vandalism, that is just the gregarious instinct at work.

I can't even count the number of times I've come out and found someone parked next to me, even though I am in the literally last spot in the parking lot.

I have plenty more pictures.
i had someone park so close to me once at the grocery store, i had to hang my left leg out and hold the door, back out to get rest of me in. good thing i had an AT. i have stood outside the post office and had to wait for the person to come and leave to get in my car. guess people don't realize that all most half of the side of a vette is door.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by lemans ed
i had someone park so close to me once at the grocery store, i had to hang my left leg out and hold the door, back out to get rest of me in. good thing i had an AT. i have stood outside the post office and had to wait for the person to come and leave to get in my car. guess people don't realize that all most half of the side of a vette is door.
I actually had to track this guy down. I found him with his wife in an adjacent store. I asked him how his wife got out w/o hitting my car, and he said she got out before he backed in. I then asked him why he thought I could get in, but all he did was stammer, and blubber a non answer about how he was parked perfectly.

Again it's not about how he parked, it's about why he chose to park in that particular spot, when there were plenty other ones to choose from. Which would have not inconvenienced either of us.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 PM
jjbravo1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A friend of mine had people tailgaiting him all the time. He's a retired cop.
He bought this off eBay, and he said the tailgaiters stopped. Instantly...

Quick Reply: People vandalizing your Corvette