C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad Life

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Brake pad Life

Just replaced the 3rd set of brake pads on my Car (07 w/Z51) The original pads lasted about 68,000 miles, they were the original GM pads (The really dirty/dusty abrasive ones) that managed to destroy the rotors and ruin the chrome on the wheels. Back then, I replaced the rotors and the pads with GM ceramics and haven't had a single issue with them. The car now has 127,000 miles so I decided it might be about time for a new set, With about 60,000 miles on the Ceramics, the rotors were in perfect condition and the pads had about 20% life left on them, with pretty even wear on all 4 corners. I also flushed a few ounces of brake fluid thru each caliper which was surprisingly clean so all appears to be good!! Considering I don't baby my car at all, the brakes and suspension parts seem to be holding up really well. A little routine maintenance and a few bucks (127.00) for the pads and fluid and all is right with the Vette once again !!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Your doing really well to baby the car, and I go through the Z51 HD pads in about 30K instead.

As for the rotors, they get turned at the first 30K to clean and square them back up, then replaced at the 60K mark since there will not be enough metal to turn them again.

For you the Ceramics part are a perfect match, as for myself, the ceramic pads give up too much initial bite and feed back over the HD pads instead.

As for the HD brake dust, doesn't bother me in the least since the car gets washed every few drives anyways to knock the road dust/grim off the back fender cover that it will collect quickly anyways.
Note, I pulled my rims to clean and Jonson wax the inner barrels on detail cleanings every few months, so the brake dust is not a sticking problem between the water only power washes/towel dries the car gets every few drives to knock the dust off instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-12-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, a lot depends on your individual driving needs, I didn't notice any difference in the stopping power of the ceramics, but the lack of dust and longer rotor life was really the deciding factor in my choice.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pad Life

Quick Reply: Brake pad Life