C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is new halo weatherstrip needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 01:19 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Default Why is new halo weatherstrip needed?

Well it is time for a exterior mod to keep the old car fresh. I decided to paint the yellow top and halo.

I painted cars in my youth so debated whether to do myself or take to a local paint shop. Think I will have it done.

Questions:

1) When the top gets painted, does the weatherstrip that touches the paint get removed or taped off?

2) If i remove the halo to take in, do they not just tape off the weatherstrip or does it get removed?

3) Why does the back halo weatherstrip have to get replaced as I have read? gets damaged on removal? hard to reinstall used weatherstrip?

So options to me seem to be:
1) Take entire car in, tell them to tape off weatherstrip on both pieces and spray it.

2) take in top and halo that I remove and have them tape off weatherstrip and paint. Is there good chance that I will scratch halo on reinstall as some have mentioned?

3) take in top and halo and tell them to remove whatever weatherstrip needed to do it right and be prepared to buy any pieces that dont go back on.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Laid Back11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did #3. Only did my halo, I have the glass top.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

The problem with not removing the weather strip is thst chances are you will have a small line of the underlying color visible somewhere.

I have also read that some have successfully put the rear weather strip back on after removing as well. May be worth trying to remove it if you were planning to buy one anyway. If you don't damage it while removing you could glue or tape it back on after paint.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:10 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

They replaced mine when top and halo were painted. It was glued on and has to be replaced. Not very expensive compared to the whole cost.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

Option #3 and what Mr. Wayback said.
I have no personal experience with this but having worked at a body shop this would produce the best results.

Last edited by _05C6_; 01-18-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: because

Get notified of new replies

To Why is new halo weatherstrip needed?

Quick Reply: Why is new halo weatherstrip needed?