C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's seat motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:17 PM
C6 Addict
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's seat motor problems

I have a 2008 with no memory or telescopic steering wheel. My drivers seat can move in all directions, except for one. Would this be an issue with the motor, or something simpler such as a faulty switch? How can I find out what's causing the problem? Tried many searches but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Any input helps!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:19 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

which switch? does it make any sound when you activate it? have you checked for any loose connections?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:19 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

FYI-- real easy to remove your seat --- 4 bolts and disconnect the wire harness under it.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:34 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Remove your seat so you can see all the connections.
Chances are, it's a broken wire at the motor side, or at the switch side that is causing the issue.

You can see the wiring color to check at the switch of the direction it does not move
Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-26-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM
C6 Addict
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C6topless
which switch? does it make any sound when you activate it? have you checked for any loose connections?
It seems that my rear vertical motor is what's giving me issues. I hear a click when I engage the switch, so it seems like it's getting at least a bit of power, but then there's no movement. I'll try removing the seat this weekend and take a look.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 AM
C6 Addict
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Remove your seat so you can see all the connections. Chances are, it's a broken wire at the motor side, or at the switch side that is causing the issue. You can see the wiring color to check at the switch of the direction it does not move Good Luck
Excellent schematic. This will be a big help once I get under the seat. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Addict
It seems that my rear vertical motor is what's giving me issues. I hear a click when I engage the switch, so it seems like it's getting at least a bit of power, but then there's no movement. I'll try removing the seat this weekend and take a look.
If there is a click under the seat when you push the switch then the motor is most likely jammed. Could be something in the gears or a bearing. It could also be the internal circuit breaker that you are hearing has just gotten weak. Try to get it turning manually and see if that dislodges whatever might be jamming it. If it is the breaker and it continues to pop you are probably looking at a rather expensive adjuster assembly replacement.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 01-27-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:17 PM
C6 Addict
Intermediate

Well I just removed the drivers seat and took a look around. All the connections were secure and I didn't see any frayed wires. The problem has to be with my rear vertical motor, as every other direction works fine. The motor makes a buzzing sound when the switch is engaged, so I know it's a least getting power. Also tried to see if anything was obstructing its path, but still nothing. I think I might be looking at a motor replacement... Can anyone else chime in with any suggestions?

Thanks again
Old 01-31-2016, 04:58 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Well I just removed the drivers seat and took a look around. All the connections were secure and I didn't see any frayed wires. The problem has to be with my rear vertical motor, as every other direction works fine. The motor makes a buzzing sound when the switch is engaged, so I know it's a least getting power. Also tried to see if anything was obstructing its path, but still nothing. I think I might be looking at a motor replacement... Can anyone else chime in with any suggestions?

Thanks again
If the motor is at the end of its travel and it got jammed, you could try to move in the opposite direction and push or pull against the seat to see if you can get it to move.
The only other thing that one might try, is to remove the motor, if it can be removed,
and see if it turns without being connected to the gear.
It's a shot in the dark. As someone else has mentioned, you may need a new track seat adjuster assembly to fix your issues if the motor can't be removed. The motor is not a part that can be bought separately from a dealer.

Good luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-31-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:39 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Unfortunately having this exact issue on a recently modified seat by a well known vendor. Can't move the front motor up or down. When switch is pushed there is a distinct thump in the motor so power supply is there. Still have to check for damaged wires. Hopefully will be resolved soon. Please advise if you fixed yours!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 PM
C6 Addict
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EdsC6Z06
Unfortunately having this exact issue on a recently modified seat by a well known vendor. Can't move the front motor up or down. When switch is pushed there is a distinct thump in the motor so power supply is there. Still have to check for damaged wires. Hopefully will be resolved soon. Please advise if you fixed yours!
interesting. Will do. I'd like to get under there again sometime this weekend. Let me know if you find a fix!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:32 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Now afraid my front motor may be physically damaged. The motor has "shafts" coming out of either end of it. The shaft closest to the door feels "loose" and can be wiggled up and down if the motor is moved. It's not completely broken off, but doesn't seem to be right. Unfortunately GM only sells the adjuster as a complete unit. Over $550! Ugh.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:04 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsC6Z06
Now afraid my front motor may be physically damaged. The motor has "shafts" coming out of either end of it. The shaft closest to the door feels "loose" and can be wiggled up and down if the motor is moved. It's not completely broken off, but doesn't seem to be right. Unfortunately GM only sells the adjuster as a complete unit. Over $550! Ugh.
You might try going to Vette Nuts (a CF vendor) for a used motor. Good luck
Old 10-17-2016, 03:24 PM
C6 Addict
Intermediate

Here's a complete underside shot of my removed drivers seat.

The thing I'm pointing at here spins when I activate the switch. Kind of like a small axle. It leads into the silver portion discussed in the next picture.

Here's where I suspect the problem is. I'm assuming this is where these flimsy plastic gears are located? I can hear a slight grinding noise coming from here when I activate the switch. If everything was working correctly, these gears should spin, in turn spinning the vertical threaded rod, which should allow that portion of the seat to raise and lower.

Can anyone vouch for my rationale?
What is that whole power seat assembly actually called? I've tried searching for it but I'm not finding the exact part I need. It's looking like my only option is to replace everything.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by C6 Addict; 10-17-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Here's a complete underside shot of my removed drivers seat.

The thing I'm pointing at here spins when I activate the switch. Kind of like a small axle. It leads into the silver portion discussed in the next picture.

Here's where I suspect the problem is. I'm assuming this is where these flimsy plastic gears are located? I can hear a slight grinding noise coming from here when I activate the switch. If everything was working correctly, these gears should spin, in turn spinning the vertical threaded rod, which should allow that portion of the seat to raise and lower.

Can anyone vouch for my rationale?
What is that whole power seat assembly actually called? I've tried searching for it but I'm not finding the exact part I need. It's looking like my only option is to replace everything.

Any thoughts?
Like said above you have to replace the complete unit. My has been replaced 4 times because the front motor kelp stripping the gear that raises the front up for driving position. My has the memory option.BTW: after they pulled the seat and replaced the frame with the motors the 4th time it stripped the gear again in about a month.Bottom line I gave up and just live with it.The young kids working at the dealer don't know their *** from a hole in the ground..
The following users liked this post:
C6 Addict (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 01:00 PM
C6 Addict
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Like said above you have to replace the complete unit. My has been replaced 4 times because the front motor kelp stripping the gear that raises the front up for driving position. My has the memory option.BTW: after they pulled the seat and replaced the frame with the motors the 4th time it stripped the gear again in about a month.Bottom line I gave up and just live with it.The young kids working at the dealer don't know their *** from a hole in the ground..
Yeah I figured that's what I had to do. Wanted some final confirmation before I bit the bullet. Thanks Cherokee!

Does anyone have a part number for this? Or at least its appropriate name so I can search it myself?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Yeah I figured that's what I had to do. Wanted some final confirmation before I bit the bullet. Thanks Cherokee!

Does anyone have a part number for this? Or at least its appropriate name so I can search it myself?
Try this #19293301.GM parts Direct $379.00 with out memory...You might want to call a dealer to verify it.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver's seat motor problems

Quick Reply: Driver's seat motor problems