C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Reliable Are 2007/2008's ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:43 AM
ViewSonic
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How Reliable Are 2007/2008's ?

Entertaining the idea of getting a used 2007 or 2008 C6 but I am concerned with long term reliability of these GM cars. I know the 2007 had the LS2 and the 2008+ had the LS3. Looking for something under 50k miles.

The autos had the 6L80E, correct?

What things should I look out for?
Old 01-31-2016, 03:01 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought an 08 in August 2012 with 18K miles on it. It is a daily driver and now has 45K on it. I replaced the tires soon after I bought it and put a battery in it last week. That is it.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:05 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Just hit 150K.
Only minor problems. Nothing that I couldn't fix.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

08 I bought with 38K from original owner 3 years ago

Not a DD, think I have 46K on it now so I do drive it, and only thing I have done is brakes/rotors

Original owner had put Michelin's on, I have nothing to compare it to but he said Michelin's were LOT better ride than factory Goodyears

I guess only issue you can expect is the normal popping a creaking with the top if you get a removable hard top but that is not a huge deal
Old 01-31-2016, 08:31 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

You'll get only opinions and anecdotes with such a small sample size here.

Last "Consumer Reports" summary I saw showed they both did very well...
Old 01-31-2016, 08:41 AM
91RS
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

They are very reliable cars overall. The biggest concerns you would have to worry about on a C6 would be the harmonic balancer or an oil pan gasket leak (both labor intensive repairs). Everything else is minor. Just maintain in properly and you're good to go. Change the oil, change the differential fluid with Dexron LS oil if it isn't been done, install Michelins, and drive it!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You'll be fine with either one you choose.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
08 I bought with 38K from original owner 3 years ago

Not a DD, think I have 46K on it now so I do drive it, and only thing I have done is brakes/rotors

Original owner had put Michelin's on, I have nothing to compare it to but he said Michelin's were LOT better ride than factory Goodyears

I guess only issue you can expect is the normal popping a creaking with the top if you get a removable hard top but that is not a huge deal
There are fixes for the creaking top problem, which, apparently work. I bought my '07 two years ago and there hasn't been ANY noises from the top.

Either there never was a problem, or the previous owner did the fixes.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I'm the original owner of an 07 with 71k miles and I have spent $250 in repairs out of warranty, I perform all the regular maintenance at home. Still on original plugs/wires/brakes/rotors.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Heres the difficulties you'll run into here. A lot of forum dwellers seem to have different opinions on what reliable is. Some will say they are very reliable and then will list several things they have had to fix. Some will say they aren't reliable because they blew out a tail light bulb. So in other words, good luck on any info you get here and take all suggestions with a ton of salt. In my humble opinion, if one wants to call reliability the inclination of any car to break down and leave you stranded then the C-6 isn't to much worse than any other car, with a few exceptions of course.....first thing that comes to mind is the infamous "stuck in park" that seems to be quite common on the A-6s. Bottom line.....do some research and take nothing as religion. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:52 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

They are very reliable, I'm on my second one. Love these cars.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:14 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The 2007 or 2008 drive trains are pretty much bullet proof. Like any other car or truck, regular maintenance/oil changes, brakes, etc. are all part of owning a vehicle.
In 75K miles, I have replaced the water pump at 30K miles.
I replaced the brake pads at 50K for ceramics, and the original pads were
only 1/2 worn. I'm on my original shocks, but I will change them out soon.
I did change the sway bar end links when I changed my brake pads, just cause I could, not because they needed it.

Can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:26 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Heres the difficulties you'll run into here. A lot of forum dwellers seem to have different opinions on what reliable is. Some will say they are very reliable and then will list several things they have had to fix. Some will say they aren't reliable because they blew out a tail light bulb. So in other words, good luck on any info you get here and take all suggestions with a ton of salt. In my humble opinion, if one wants to call reliability the inclination of any car to break down and leave you stranded then the C-6 isn't to much worse than any other car, with a few exceptions of course.....first thing that comes to mind is the infamous "stuck in park" that seems to be quite common on the A-6s. Bottom line.....do some research and take nothing as religion. Good luck.
I gotta agree with this.

I am over protective of my car because I need for work and I travel very long distances in it.
I have no problem throwing money at any minor issue to resolve it.
Maybe if I had to factor in labor rates that would change.

The Harmonic Balancer was the worse job I had to do on the car...

I am about to replace the steering rack because of a broken drive belt mishap.
Still considered minor to me because I was able to drive the car home, over 100 miles.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I bought my 08 from a Chevrolet dealer almost a year ago with 69,000 miles on the odometer. It now has 73,000. Fortunately the dealer performed some of the normal maintenance items while the car was still under the 90 day warranty, such as replacing the hood and hatch struts, the sway bar end links, the differential and trans fluid (because of a popping sound when making slow sharp turns), etc. Some of the known problems I have encountered are the headlight lenses protective coating peeling and requiring replacement. My A6 shifter cable had a problem, as do many other C6's with the A6, requiring replacement. The biggest expense for me, and the one that there should definitely be a recall on, was the dreaded gas smell, which in my case required the driver's side fuel pump, gas tank, and filler tube be replaced. That cost me $3000 because my car being an A6 required the trans to be removed to gain access to the tank and fuel pump. In my case it should have only cost $2000 as I believe there was nothing wrong with the gas tank itself, but the dealer thought it had a leak as well. The plastic fricken gas tank was $997 from GM. Hopefully if there ever is a recall, I will get a refund.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:01 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Overall, I think the C6 in each year has been solid but there are some lemons in every bunch.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
I bought my 08 from a Chevrolet dealer almost a year ago with 69,000 miles on the odometer. It now has 73,000. Fortunately the dealer performed some of the normal maintenance items while the car was still under the 90 day warranty, such as replacing the hood and hatch struts, the sway bar end links, the differential and trans fluid (because of a popping sound when making slow sharp turns), etc. Some of the known problems I have encountered are the headlight lenses protective coating peeling and requiring replacement. My A6 shifter cable had a problem, as do many other C6's with the A6, requiring replacement. The biggest expense for me, and the one that there should definitely be a recall on, was the dreaded gas smell, which in my case required the driver's side fuel pump, gas tank, and filler tube be replaced. That cost me $3000 because my car being an A6 required the trans to be removed to gain access to the tank and fuel pump. In my case it should have only cost $2000 as I believe there was nothing wrong with the gas tank itself, but the dealer thought it had a leak as well. The plastic fricken gas tank was $997 from GM. Hopefully if there ever is a recall, I will get a refund.
GM really should have designed an access panel inside the car under the carpet in case the fuel pump needs to come out. Imagine how much easier that job could be.
The following users liked this post:
Huskerman (02-02-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 12:25 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

No problems with reliability on a 2007 or 2008. Find what you want and check the history of the car then bring it home.

Get notified of new replies

To How Reliable Are 2007/2008's ?

Old 01-31-2016, 01:17 PM
tclhb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original owner 07 with 53k miles. Had the differential noise when new TSB - dealer changed fluid. Had slightly noisy roof - dealer changed mounting pin rollers I think, also a TSB - quiet since, no creeks. Both those problems were free fixes. Had switch for the rear back up lights go out in my 6 speed - about $100.
Basically best car I've ever owned after 5 mustangs, a 350Z, RX-7, CRX, Camaro, etc.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:46 PM
Ron K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2007

I still have my 07, with 51k miles, which I purchased new. The only problem I have had was the transparent roof developed a crack after a year and was replaced under warranty.

Normal maintenance items, new tires and brake pads (ceramic) with no other issues.

It is my third and best Corvette and has been a great car for me.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:50 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

My 08 has roughly 26K. Runs good. Yes on transmission too.

Quick Reply: How Reliable Are 2007/2008's ?