C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Factory nav into 1lt question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM
TannerC15
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another Factory nav into 1lt question

I've tried to do some research and it's only managed to cloud my understanding even more. Hopefully someone can set me straight.

I have a 2012 1lt corvette, non-Bose.

Wanting to install a factory GM navigation head unit.

I do not care if the navigation function works. I just want the bigger display, radio/aux functionality, and CD player.

What year car do I need to get a head unit from?
What harness parts do I need to buy? Is there a simple way to make the nav work or will there be any other loss of functionality if I don't hook up the navigation?

Thank you,
Tanner

Please do not tell me to buy aftermarket, it's not what I'm trying to accomplish.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:18 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 557 Likes on 452 Posts

Don't know if you saw this thread but look at posts 41 and 42, post 42 is by Ray Kawal, one of our electronics DIY gurus.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...done-it-3.html
The following users liked this post:
TannerC15 (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Some Cliff's notes:

*Regardless of year, you'll have to have the used radio 'married' to your car with a Tech2 after its installed (VIN Relearn Proceedure). *No* radio functions will work until this is performed. The radio will work in ACC mode, up until the car is started.. then... locked, and its off to the dealer for the procedure.

*If you want your steering wheel control buttons to work (right spoke, for volume/station), you'll need a 2007 or newer Nav unit.

*If you want your steering wheel BlueTooth buttons to work (left spoke), you'll need a 2009 or newer Nav unit (if so equipped -- pretty sure 2012 1LTs had no BT, but there you are).

*If you want the built-in aux/usb ports, you'll need a 2011 or newer Nav unit. (I have to double check that... I *think* its 2011.)

*If you don't care about the Navigation functions being operational, you do NOT have to add the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire jumper. Everything else (radio, cd, XM, aux) will work fine. Nav will come up but will malfunction. You'll still need to do the VIN relearn, but no *wiring* mods or additional harnesses needed if you don't care about Nav functions -- just plug and play.

(Personally, I'd take the little extra time and trouble to hook up the single VSS wire and have an operational nav (its not that hard), but technically you don't NEED it for all the other radio functions to work)

Last edited by Kent1999; 03-07-2016 at 06:09 PM.
TannerC15 (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 07:10 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Don't know if you saw this thread but look at posts 41 and 42, post 42 is by Ray Kawal, one of our electronics DIY gurus.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...done-it-3.html
I installed the factory Nav unit in my 08 2LT without Bose and followed Ray Kawal's well written instructions (including photos) and quite pleased with the results. I also think that if you are going to the trouble to install the Nav unit, you might as well do the job right and connect everything to make it operate as intended. Ray has pre-made harnesses and instructions to make the job a breeze. You will have to buy a Nav antenna separately, but it is only about $45.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:39 PM
VetteIwin
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Like UNCLECOOKIE I to installed a Factory Nav into my 2008 1lt non-bose..I bought the Nav off of ebay plus a Nav antenna..Install was a breeze plug and play..The only issue was the Nav did have the positioning issue along with no estimated arrival time..The reason for this was I did not have a VSS wire in my harness..This past winter I installed factory HUD and while I had everything apart I added the VSS wire via wire tap harness I purchased off of Ray Kawals site for like 10 dollars..Now it works perfectly..As mentioned it will go into theft lock after starting car..I took it to local Chevrolet dearlership and had the radio programmed to the car..Mine is a 2008 so I don't have the USB..Several good writes up on this site that helped me with both the HUD and NAV...Good Luck...
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM
TannerC15
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys. I picked up a nav unit yesterday, this is all great info
Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM
dfinkw
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TannerC15
Thanks guys. I picked up a nav unit yesterday, this is all great info
Like you, I'm considering the NAV model. Currently have the BOSE system in my C6 with the 6 CD changer. Wondering if the NAV unit you purchased can load more than one CD at a time?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinkw
Like you, I'm considering the NAV model. Currently have the BOSE system in my C6 with the 6 CD changer. Wondering if the NAV unit you purchased can load more than one CD at a time?
FYI: None of the factory C6 NAV radios can load more than one music CD at a time.

There are two slots on the Nav radio: one for a single CD, and one for a Nav DVD (and no, the nav DVD slot cannot play music or movies.)

Last edited by Kent1999; 03-08-2016 at 12:44 PM.
dfinkw (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:47 PM
dfinkw
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kent1999
FYI: None of the factory C6 NAV radios can load more than one music CD at a time.

There are two slots on the Nav radio: one for a single CD, and one for a Nav DVD (and no, the nav DVD slot cannot play music or movies.)

Thanks. Sounds like the wife's 08 Escalade unit. Figured it probably didn't, but there is always hope!! Good info to ponder.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Factory nav into 1lt question

Quick Reply: Another Factory nav into 1lt question