C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 shift cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
It did occasionally get stuck in Park, requiring a firm push of the shifter towards the dashboard before the release lever/solenoid lock would release, so I sort of expected it was going to go, but when it did is was very sudden, no warning, It was stuck in drive and the shifter just moved freely (Obviously because the cable was no longer attached to the shifter arm) The nylon or plastic bushings in each end of the original cable where completely worn out, the shifter end bushing was actually broken into 3 separate pieces, So I figured I would replace the whole thing just in case there was some hidden internal damage !
My broke in pieces also....Cause...... Because It's hot down there..
Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 AM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

It did occasionally get stuck in Park, requiring a firm push of the shifter towards the dashboard before the release lever/solenoid lock would release, so I sort of expected it was going to go, but when it did is was very sudden, no warning, It was stuck in drive and the shifter just moved freely (Obviously because the cable was no longer attached to the shifter arm) The nylon or plastic bushings in each end of the original cable where completely worn out, the shifter end bushing was actually broken into 3 separate pieces, So I figured I would replace the whole thing just in case there was some hidden internal damage !
Is the rear bushing / grommet the same item as the front (Shifter

Assembly) ?

Thanks !
Old 03-16-2016, 07:46 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
For those of us that think that our cable will out live us.....i've heard stories of them going bad long before they should just as a couple of post have mentioned.....one at 41-K....and another at 56-K. Just our luck......thank ya GM....
In my opinion, it is a weakness of the auto tranny vettes just lurking to bite the unsuspecting on the A$$. Very expensive and very inconvenient when it happens to the less mechanically inclined of us at the worst possible moment. I won't be ordering any more A6s or A8s in vettes.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Spark 2
Is the rear bushing / grommet the same item as the front (Shifter

Assembly) ?

Thanks !
From everything that I have read on the Forum, the answer is absolutely yes. Same grommet in the rear as on the front of the cable.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:35 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

[QUOTE=GOLD72;1591782643]From everything that I have read on the Forum, the answer is absolutely yes. Same grommet in the rear as on the front of the cable.[/QUOTE

For those who asked about the A6 shift cable and cable grommets. (These photos are of a brand new cable)

This photo shows the cable ends and both grommets appear to be the same.

This photo is of the cable end as well as the Dorman 14055 grommet kit. In my opinion, neither Dorman grommet in this kit is an exact match, although the white one looks like it might work. Having never changed the grommets myself, I cannot say for sure.

This photo is the opposite side of the cable grommet

Last edited by unclecookie; 03-16-2016 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rogers 07 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

I use to have to give the firm push also, before I cut the pawl off!! Now at 125,000 I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and replace the cable before I get a tow bill to go with it!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:38 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

My gosh..!!!! Those are the pieces that fall apart and the dealer wants how much to replace them ???. Once again....Thanks GM......thanks for the pics by the way.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

My gosh..!!!! Those are the pieces that fall apart and the dealer wants how much to replace them ???. Once again....Thanks GM......thanks for the pics by the way.
I haven't had this problem yet but just from reading about it, the cost is not in the parts, but in the amount of labor necessary to replace them.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I haven't had this problem yet but just from reading about it, the cost is not in the parts, but in the amount of labor necessary to replace them.
Yup !!! The crappy part is it couldn't possibly cost more than a few cents to make a cable end that just wouldn't wear out ever! Hell, just a straight pin going thru an aluminium bushing with snap ring retainer design would live forever!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Yup !!! The crappy part is it couldn't possibly cost more than a few cents to make a cable end that just wouldn't wear out ever! Hell, just a straight pin going thru an aluminium bushing with snap ring retainer design would live forever!
What I was thinking.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Mine broke when my 2006 was just about 6 years old with 62K miles on it.

I was living in Hawaii at the time and did not have the white space to deal with it myself at the time, and forked over $800 for the dealership to replace the cable.

I am going to bookmark this thread for future reference - next time I'll do it myself.

Hats off to the OP for going to the trouble to document this.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino

Mine broke when my 2006 was just about 6 years old with 62K miles on it.

I was living in Hawaii at the time and did not have the white space to deal with it myself at the time, and forked over $800 for the dealership to replace the cable.

I am going to bookmark this thread for future reference - next time I'll do it myself.

Hats off to the OP for going to the trouble to document this.
My broke on my 08 6 months ago dealer cost $600.00 plus $95.00 tow.GM puts a lot of cheap **** on our vettes so their dealers can get rich!!..A$$Ho!!s
bobbyd99 (02-09-2018)
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

[QUOTE=unclecookie;1591783755]
Originally Posted by GOLD72
From everything that I have read on the Forum, the answer is absolutely yes. Same grommet in the rear as on the front of the cable.[/QUOTE

For those who asked about the A6 shift cable and cable grommets. (These photos are of a brand new cable)

This photo shows the cable ends and both grommets appear to be the same.

This photo is of the cable end as well as the Dorman 14055 grommet kit. In my opinion, neither Dorman grommet in this kit is an exact match, although the white one looks like it might work. Having never changed the grommets myself, I cannot say for sure.

This photo is the opposite side of the cable grommet

In that 14055 kit, I used the white bushing. I assume the other bushing is for a different GM application.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Spark 2
I've read this post and several previous posts.

Lots of great information!

The only thing that I question is whether to use Dorman Kit #14041,

or Dorman Kit #14055?

I've seen both numbers mentioned and like all forum members, I'd like

to do the best in this situation.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Spark 2
In the 14041 kit, I understand that the grommet to use is individually labeled 5074045 in small molded print on one end.
SteveDoten (03-24-2019)
Old 03-17-2016, 12:00 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks. I suspect the need to "help" it get out of park was caused by the extra slack in the worn bushings. So the first time that happens to me I'll do a pre-emptive strike and replace the whole thing. I just hope it doesn't happen in the middle of a 6K mile road trip.
CMIUC (01-08-2023)
Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Heh, interesting.

Having a machine shop in my backyard, I guess if (when?) it happens to me I'll make my own out of bearing bronze.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Heh, interesting.

Having a machine shop in my backyard, I guess if (when?) it happens to me I'll make my own out of bearing bronze.
Granted, the bronze would be virtually indestructible, however, I doubt that would stop the cable itself from breaking. It also might transfer a lot of transmission noise through the cable to the shifter if the cable were equipped with metal grommets, instead of nylon, Teflon, or delrin, or whatever the factory cable ends are made of. JMHO

Last edited by unclecookie; 03-17-2016 at 01:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 shift cable replacement

Old 03-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by unclecookie
Granted, the bronze would be virtually indestructible, however, I doubt that would stop the cable itself from breaking. It also might transfer a lot of transmission noise through the cable to the shifter if the cable were equipped with metal grommets, instead of nylon, Teflon, or delrin, or whatever the factory cable ends are made of. JMHO
Well sure, beefing up a weak part of a system puts more strain on the next weakest part, but I thought the big problem here WAS the grommets -- not the cable itself . . . ?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

TO ALL THOSE FOLLOWING THIS THREAD:

First of all thanks for your help / comments!

I have foun a source for the correct bushing / grommet.

No need to buy a packet with only one that MIGHT fit?

Please see Flee Bay 111717807194.

This shouldn't be against Forum rules since no other vendor is offering

the same?

Last edited by Spark 2; 03-17-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:51 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Well thank you very much BRUZE, I never would have guess that in a million years. I know you've mentioned before that I am challenged, and I can't help it....but I ain't quite that challenged...LOL.....do me a favor and whip me up a couple of those little brass B@#$@#DS while your at it as i'm sure all this talk will make mine fall apart..

Quick Reply: A6 shift cable replacement