C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Corvette starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:09 PM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2009 Corvette starting issues

Hi, i own a 2009 Vette that has been giving me starting issues since last year, i thought since the battery was now 7yrs old that it was the problem but it was not. I just installed a new battery and i did check the voltage, The starting problem is intermittent, when i push the start button it will make about 4 loud clunk noises, each time there is a clunk the check engine light will blink on the dash and everytime the clock is reset back to 12:00. Sometimes after the clunking noise it will start and sometimes it will not. I shot a video of it giving me this problem today. Any help would be much appreciated, the warm weather is here and i would like to not worry ahout getting stuck somewhere. Not sure if i can put the video on here though
Old 03-13-2016, 04:19 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can upload the video to youtube or a photo hosting website and post the link here. I would say that it at first glance it sounds like the bakelite connection on your starter has broken and is making intermittent contact. It is a seemingly common issue and will intermittently result in a single click when trying to start before ultimately just not starting at all. Not sure why you are experiencing the other issues though so it could be more severe, but I would check that to begin with.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:37 PM
millsy
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvette-kyle
You can upload the video to youtube or a photo hosting website and post the link here. I would say that it at first glance it sounds like the bakelite connection on your starter has broken and is making intermittent contact. It is a seemingly common issue and will intermittently result in a single click when trying to start before ultimately just not starting at all. Not sure why you are experiencing the other issues though so it could be more severe, but I would check that to begin with.
Ok thank you, trying to upload it to flikr, im pretty computer illiterate. I also noticed in the video that each time it clunked the headlight flashed also. Last year i had the dealer put in the jumper wire on the recall, jot sure if that had anything to do with this problem

Last edited by millsy; 03-13-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:39 PM
millsy
Advanced

Not sure if this will work?? https://www.flickr.com/photos/141056059@N03/shares/7FAKoh
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141056059@N03/shares/7FAKoh

Last edited by millsy; 03-13-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

You need a new starter! The starter solenoid is working but the gear on the starter is not moving onto the flywheel.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 03-13-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:54 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Video works. To be honest it sounds just like a failing connection at the starter. I've had this issue multiple times and that's the same clicking noise. I can't explain why it's happening multiple times though because it would only give me a single click but I would definitely look at that first. If it is indeed that connection it is only a matter of time now before it completely breaks off and leaves you stranded somewhere. How many miles do you have on the car? Do you have aftermarket headers? These usually bring heat closer to the starter which accelerates the process of it becoming brittle.

If that isn't the issue I wouldn't know what to look at next but I'm sure that someone else will be able to chime in and help you out
Old 03-13-2016, 05:04 PM
millsy
Advanced

Originally Posted by TCW
You need a new starter! The starter solenoid is working but the gear on the starter is not moving onto the flywheel.

Tom
Ok thank you, did my video link work i never have tried this before, here is another one from today
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141056059@N03/25464707950/in/datetaken/
My friend who is a certified VW mechanic, let the jokes begin, wants to know if the starter on this car is easily accessible, since i would have him put it in vs the dealer.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:07 PM
millsy
Advanced

Video works. To be honest it sounds just like a failing connection at the starter. I've had this issue multiple times and that's the same clicking noise. I can't explain why it's happening multiple times though because it would only give me a single click but I would definitely look at that first. If it is indeed that connection it is only a matter of time now before it completely breaks off and leaves you stranded somewhere. How many miles do you have on the car? Do you have aftermarket headers? These usually bring heat closer to the starter which accelerates the process of it becoming brittle.

If that isn't the issue I wouldn't know what to look at next but I'm sure that someone else will be able to chime in and help you out
The car has 11,000 miles on it, bone stock, never had one issue with it
Old 03-14-2016, 01:29 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Look where they worked on it last....

[QUOTE= Last year i had the dealer put in the jumper wire on the recall, jot sure if that had anything to do with this problem[/QUOTE]

If the dealer performed that recall, you might want to make sure they properly tightened the battery connections at the fusebox. Your issue sounds like a poor connection or a bad starter or solenoid. In any case, I would do a thorough inspection of the battery connections, cables, and terminations, both B+ and ground, at all connections between the battery, fusebox, and starter. Do the same for the negative cable. Check the terminals and both ends of the cable.

Garry
Old 03-16-2016, 04:15 PM
millsy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
If the dealer performed that recall, you might want to make sure they properly tightened the battery connections at the fusebox. Your issue sounds like a poor connection or a bad starter or solenoid. In any case, I would do a thorough inspection of the battery connections, cables, and terminations, both B+ and ground, at all connections between the battery, fusebox, and starter. Do the same for the negative cable. Check the terminals and both ends of the cable.

Garry
Does the C6 suppose to have the quick disconnect on the battery neg cable, the green **** thing. Thats the problem, i touched it and it made the car cycle on and off, it is very tight though, i did it again and this time it gave me a shock, its definitely the problem. I will take a pic asap. Also i looked the part up and it says not for use on the C6, huh?? http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/battery-quick-disconnect-switch-top-post.html
Old 03-16-2016, 04:33 PM
millsy
Advanced

Originally Posted by millsy
Does the C6 suppose to have the quick disconnect on the battery neg cable, the green **** thing. Thats the problem, i touched it and it made the car cycle on and off, it is very tight though, i did it again and this time it gave me a shock, its definitely the problem. I will take a pic asap. Also i looked the part up and it says not for use on the C6, huh?? http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/battery-quick-disconnect-switch-top-post.html
Said the pic is wrong format, i put on flicker. I checked all the other cable and grounds with my mechanic friend, the starter wires and starter, we were at a loss until he left and i touched that green ****, i guess this will bring u to the pic, im computer illeterate. https://www.flickr.com/photos/141056059@N03/?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Does the C6 suppose to have the quick disconnect on the battery neg cable, the green **** thing. Thats the problem, i touched it and it made the car cycle on and off, it is very tight though, i did it again and this time it gave me a shock, its definitely the problem. I will take a pic asap. Also i looked the part up and it says not for use on the C6, huh?? http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/batte...-top-post.html
I have no idea what that is (didn't check video), but my '07 doesn't have it.

However: You MUST HAVE A GOOD GROUND, and as someone mentioned above, that means the ground cable must be in good shape and BOTH of its terminals must tight and clean.

I don't know why, but more electrical problems in vehicles (from my experience anyway) seem to be caused by bad grounds than anything else.

It is always the first thing I check. If everything is good, then move on to the next thing.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:16 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Does the C6 suppose to have the quick disconnect on the battery neg cable, the green **** thing. Thats the problem, i touched it and it made the car cycle on and off, it is very tight though, i did it again and this time it gave me a shock, its definitely the problem. I will take a pic asap. Also i looked the part up and it says not for use on the C6, huh?? http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/batte...-top-post.html
That green disconnect **** is definitely NOT supposed to be on there. I would get rid of that terminal and put a whole new one on.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:23 PM
millsy
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVRose
That green disconnect **** is definitely NOT supposed to be on there. I would get rid of that terminal and put a whole new one on.
Thanks this has been an intermittent problem for awhile, came on the car from the dealer brand new,
Old 03-16-2016, 07:34 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Thanks this has been an intermittent problem for awhile, came on the car from the dealer brand new,
That's unbelievable! Not saying I don't believe you but I can't imagine a dealer doing that to a brand new car.

Last edited by EVRose; 03-16-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:36 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

That is a disconnect but it's not a factory part. The Corvette battery terminal connectors are easy to over tighten so they may have broken that and replaced it with this.

After listening to your video, I would wait until it's dark, open the hood and watch for fireworks when you have someone else try and start the car. Seriously, the starter draws at minimum a couple hundred amps during start up and whatever is disconnecting is going to be sparking some as it connects and disconnects.
If you don't see any sparks, then I would guess the problem is internal to the starter. However, normally when the starter solenoid - the part that slides the starter gear into the flywheel and then makes the circuit to turn the starter motor - is going bad, it usually doesn't become intermittent, it just fails.
I would get this fixed before you damage something else....that's a lot of current that's clunking in and out.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:42 PM
millsy
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVRose
That's unbelievable! Not saying I don't believe you but I can't imagine a dealer doing that to a brand new car.
Yup GM service line said its not suppose to be there, the dealership said the same thing. GM said they will call the dealer to work something out, i asked for them to pay for it since it came like this. GM gave me a case number so i will let u know how it goes after the appointment is made, GM said the dealership will call in 1-2 days. Thanks for all the advice. It seems no one here has one either, kinda screwed up if this is the case, makes zero sense.

Last edited by millsy; 03-16-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Corvette starting issues

Old 03-17-2016, 05:00 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

That green disconnect **** is typicially used on cars that are stored for extended periods of time. It's for convienence to make it easy to disconnect the battery with just a simple turn and removal of the **** so it will not drain. It's also considered to be used as an anti-theft type of device. Ditch it and buy a battery maintainer if you don't use the car on a regular basis.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:27 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
That green disconnect **** is typicially used on cars that are stored for extended periods of time. It's for convienence to make it easy to disconnect the battery with just a simple turn and removal of the **** so it will not drain. It's also considered to be used as an anti-theft type of device. Ditch it and buy a battery maintainer if you don't use the car on a regular basis.
Those generic green **** battery disconnects are frequently seen on older Corvettes (like in my avatar); however, the generic ones are crap and are often the cause of problems like the one you're having.

I nearly had a fire in my '65 over a failed green **** disconnect.

Lose it.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:05 PM
millsy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Those generic green **** battery disconnects are frequently seen on older Corvettes (like in my avatar); however, the generic ones are crap and are often the cause of problems like the one you're having.

I nearly had a fire in my '65 over a failed green **** disconnect.

Lose it.
So after 3 weeks GM refused to replace it, pretty much called me a liar. I swore on my 5 yr old sons life to them it came on the car. All i asked for was to have it taken off. So i swore that i will never own or buy another GM in my life. Neither will my wife, mom or dad. My mechanic took it off and put on a new end, NO FING CHARGE. GM just lost a $100,000 future vette purchase, and i will not have my car serviced at a Chevy dealer unless the repair requires a special tool not available to non Chevy garages. Thanks for all the help,the starting difference is night and day.

Quick Reply: 2009 Corvette starting issues