C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone explain this one on TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:02 PM
sonic1519
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default can anyone explain this one on TPMS

For over the last 2 to 3 months i was getting a warning on my right rear tire saying check tire pressure low air in the tire. but i knew there was nothing wrong with the tire after checking it each time. even took it to discount tires and had them check it out nothing. so i figure ok gotta buy a new TPMS stem for the tire. ok here's where it gets interesting. before i ordered the stem i replaced the air in all four tires with nitrogen. that was over a month ago and the warning light has not come back on again....

when the light was on it would show anywhere from 0 to 35 and in between... now it always shows the same pressure...
Old 04-14-2016, 11:29 PM
jpshoar
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if my previous issue with TPMS is the same as yours, but I also had a warning light saying my front right tire was low on air. It even gave me another warning that said it was flat and to not drive over 55 mph despite adding air to it. I took it into service and found out that it was actually my back right tire that was low on air, so both my front right and back right TPMS were bad. I'd also like to add that it was more than just assuming a TPMS was bad since my car would swerve slightly to the right in a straight line. Hope this helps!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

seems to by removing the air in the troublesome tire you must have allowed the TPMS to reset and solved your problem.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:23 AM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Also... Nitrogen does not vary (as much) from temperature differences. Some tire pressure monitors can be over sensitive, just 1-2 lbs low can cause the light to come on. Sounds like you have solved the problem
Old 04-15-2016, 01:01 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

How old are your sensors? If they're nearing the end of their battery life you'll get those kinds of intermittent false warnings. If that's what it is, you'll see them again soon enough. My sensors are 9 1/2 years old now, which means they're about due for repkacement, and over the past 6 months or so I've gotten the occasional false warning on my left rear, IIRC going a month or more between warnings does happen.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Unless you knew for sure that the DIC reading the RR was actually the RR, it could have easily been the LR. The TPMS reads LF, RF, RR, and LR in that order. If the wheel with a sensor that was originally sequenced as a RR is swapped with the LR and the system is not reset to match the new location, the DIC will continue to follow the sensor, but not the location.

Apparently, the release of air and re-pressurization cleared a fault in the sensor. However, if the DIC constantly reads the identical pressure when the tire is cold or hot, then the sensor is stuck and will need replaced. Check it with a hand tire gauge and drop the pressure about 5#, then drive it a bit to see if the DIC changes. If no change, replace it.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:37 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Mine would act up then go away,then act up again and go away. Finally just replaced them,problem solved. Nitrogen didn't do squat for you,just a coincidence IMO
Old 04-15-2016, 06:36 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by v26278
How old are your sensors? If they're nearing the end of their battery life you'll get those kinds of intermittent false warnings. If that's what it is, you'll see them again soon enough. My sensors are 9 1/2 years old now, which means they're about due for repkacement, and over the past 6 months or so I've gotten the occasional false warning on my left rear, IIRC going a month or more between warnings does happen.
Also, the outside (and tire temps too) are getting warmer for spring, and it will make the TPMS battery voltage go up slightly as the temps increase.

I have a front TPMS that acts up on cold days (even when the pressure in the tire is correct), but on the warmer days we are now having, it has acted normally.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace it later this year.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I use to get low pressure signal showing zero, or sometimes 10 pounds then go away for while, but it came back. When they read XXXX I replaced them, battery went dead in the sensor.

Get notified of new replies

To can anyone explain this one on TPMS

Quick Reply: can anyone explain this one on TPMS