C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar - Free Basic Service for 3 Years

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 AM
LCSteve
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
It is cell phone based not Sat phone. I did the free three year deal and all it includes is emails to you and your dealer when service is due and if you have a problem such as I got an email on a cool morning when a tire was low. Extra for 911 cals if air bag goes off and extra for stolen car recovery and extra for turn by turn and phone. It covers nothing except giving you junk mail from your dealer when you need an oil change.
I fell for the free 3 mo /3 yr gimmick only because I wanted to use the phone app to be able to unlock my doors if I lost my keys (would have kept a 3rd fob w/o battery installed in the car) or locked them inside. Turns out they exclude C6 Corvettes and only C6 Corvettes it seems on the phone app. If you try and log in it just says you don't have a qualifying vehicle. The rep confirmed that it doesn't work with the Corvette. Knowing this I asked to have my service cancelled and let me tell you that was a fiasco and multiple calls/emails and at the end of the day they only cancelled the 3mo service. No one can figure out how to cancel the 3yr basic service after repeated attempts.

So be careful if you might not want it someday it seems once they set you up there's no going back. You can though opt out of the dealer service notifications if you prefer but it also makes their system seem to develop OCD ticks.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by LCSteve
I fell for the free 3 mo /3 yr gimmick only because I wanted to use the phone app to be able to unlock my doors if I lost my keys (would have kept a 3rd fob w/o battery installed in the car) or locked them inside. Turns out they exclude C6 Corvettes and only C6 Corvettes it seems on the phone app. If you try and log in it just says you don't have a qualifying vehicle. The rep confirmed that it doesn't work with the Corvette. Knowing this I asked to have my service cancelled and let me tell you that was a fiasco and multiple calls/emails and at the end of the day they only cancelled the 3mo service. No one can figure out how to cancel the 3yr basic service after repeated attempts.

So be careful if you might not want it someday it seems once they set you up there's no going back.
Yup, the C6's OnStar HW isn't new enough to use the smartphone app. Been discussed many times. It's just too old. C7 and newer.

Not sure why they couldn't turn off your "Service"... I've had it turned off many times (negotiation tactic for price). Also not sure why it's a big deal. If you have retracted your consent to have it on and you're worried about them (now) illegally tracking you -- do you think they would care that you didn't have a contract? "Oh no, we better not illegally track this guy -- he doesn't have a contract!"

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-19-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 AM
LCSteve
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Yup, the C6's OnStar HW isn't new enough to use the smartphone app. Been discussed many times. It's just too old. C7 and newer.

Not sure why they couldn't turn off your "Service"... I've had it turned off many times (negotiation tactic for price). Also not sure why it's a big deal. If you have retracted your consent to have it on and you're worried about them (now) illegally tracking you -- do you think they would care that you didn't have a contract? "Oh no, we better not illegally track this guy -- he doesn't have a contract!"
Nah not so much worried about them illegally tracking me as much as I'm more concerned when I park my car in the airport garage for 7-10 days with poor cell reception and no GPS signal. Don't want OnStar to struggle to connect repeatedly and drain my battery while I'm away. At least if I have some use of the service and this happened I could rationalize some of it as a potential side affect of it but if it's of no use to me and it happens well then it would just seem like a waste.

Wasn't looking to hijack this thread I simply wanted to post my experiences and discovery that it didn't work as expected since when I searched the topic I never saw a post where our cars didn't work with the app. I never specifically searched that topic because it didn't occur to me that with such a newer car that would even be a potential problem.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by LCSteve
Nah not so much worried about them illegally tracking me as much as I'm more concerned when I park my car in the airport garage for 7-10 days with poor cell reception and no GPS signal. Don't want OnStar to struggle to connect repeatedly and drain my battery while I'm away. At least if I have some use of the service and this happened I could rationalize some of it as a potential side affect of it but if it's of no use to me and it happens well then it would just seem like a waste.

Wasn't looking to hijack this thread I simply wanted to post my experiences and discovery that it didn't work as expected since when I searched the topic I never saw a post where our cars didn't work with the app. I never specifically searched that topic because it didn't occur to me that with such a newer car that would even be a potential problem.
I semi-regularly leave my car at the airport, deep in the ramp for 9 days at a time (friday night through the next weekend Sunday). I had weak signal and no sky view for GPS and even *with* OnStar fully enabled, my car always starts right up when I return, so you shouldn't have an issue if your car and battery are in good working order.

The "not working with the app" thing was frustrating for me too... I have the very latest "C6 gen" OnStar hardware in my 2012 (v9.2) and was disappointed that it *still* wasn't new enough to work with the app, but oh well. Would have been nice to have, but its in no way a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

So I contacted OnStar to confirm that while I understood that the RemoteLink app is not supported with the C6 I wanted to verify that the basic service 3-year subscription can't be utilized to unlock the car by calling OnStar via phone.

Unfortunately, the OnStar rep. did confirm that the free subscription does not include unlocking the vehicle via contacting OnStar directly but the upgraded pay subscription service does so it is not a physical hardware limitation.

So while the free service works fine for my 2014 Denali it doesn't resolve my issue of gaining access to either of my Grandsports in the event it autolocks incorrectly.

As for the poster who suggested to just not leave the FOB in the cup holder that suggestion is just not all that useful in the real world where people actually drive their Corvettes regularly. The reality is that there are going to be times when you don't control access to the key FOB 100% the time, like when taking the car in for service, valet parking, hand-washing, etc. Additionally I have owned two Grandsports for several years with both being configured for autoloack and this is the ONLY time (out of hundreds of opportunities) that the car did not sense the FOB in located forward of the seats.

Last edited by RC4G; 04-20-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply: OnStar - Free Basic Service for 3 Years