C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Brake Pad Question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 PM
MrBill3
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist
Default Odd Brake Pad Question!

I looked around the forum at the massive number of brake pad posts but did not see anything that addressed the following:

I recently purchased my 2013 GS from a fellow in south Florida. Driving 2,200 miles to my home, I saw that the OEM brake pads were MAKING A MESS of the front wheels. So I spent time browsing this and other forums, and on the recommendation of many posters ended up replacing them with a full set of front and rear Hawk ceramic padlets, HB531Z.570 in the front and HB532Z.570 in the rear. I then did the following bed-in/burnishing procedure which was shown on one of the HAWK web pages:
1. After installing new brake pads, make 6-to-10 stops from approximately 30-35 MPH applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2-to-3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 MPH.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down.
5. After step 4 is completed, your new Hawk Performance brake pads are ready for use.
After completing the first 3 steps, I drove the car back to my garage (a 1/2 mile drive), but notice an ear-piercing screeching whenever I applied the brakes! I figured this had something to do with not completing step 4, so I left the car in my garage for an hour, then started it up and took it for a short drive. There was still a screeching noise every time I applied the brakes. I thought I might have done something wrong during the bed-in/burnishing, so I performed the procedure again. And again on the way home the brakes were making this horrible noise.

This time I let the brakes cool overnight, then went out for a drive and found that the brakes were quiet. Since then, I've also made a 600 mile drive and they are still sounding fine.

So my questions are:
- Was this screeching normal or had I done something wrong during the install.
- If it was normal, why didn't I read about this in one of the brake threads in this forum or get some form of warning from Hawk?
- Do I need to be concerned any longer?
Thanks, Bill

Last edited by MrBill3; 05-19-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:01 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 268 Likes on 197 Posts

It is always good idea to dab a thin coat of silglyde or high temp silicon on the backs of the pads or wherever they are making contact except with rotor of course. That goes a long way in stopping squeal. Vibrating pads cause the noise, this dampens it allowing the pads to move freely and not resonate.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a different brand and they started to drive a couple hundred miles on them before the had braking. The high squeal though went away in the first hundred or so miles.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:29 PM
MrBill3
Instructor

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
It is always good idea to dab a thin coat of silglyde or high temp silicon on the backs of the pads
The Hawk pads came with high temp grease which I had applied to the back of the pads as they instructed. The screeching was with the grease in place!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Did you start with new rotors? If not did you clean the old material of before putting the new pads on?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-19-2016, 11:01 AM
MrBill3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Did you start with new rotors? If not did you clean the old material of before putting the new pads on?
No and no. The old (drilled) rotors only had 4,500 highway miles on them and they looked perfect. Could rotors have been the problem? If so, there's now enough miles on the new pads that I would guess that I shouldn't have any more problems.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by MrBill3
No and no. The old (drilled) rotors only had 4,500 highway miles on them and they looked perfect. Could rotors have been the problem? If so, there's now enough miles on the new pads that I would guess that I shouldn't have any more problems.
You are correct it was probably the old material on the rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd Brake Pad Question!

Quick Reply: Odd Brake Pad Question!