C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified Pre-Owned problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:50 PM
jt11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Certified Pre-Owned problems

Hey everyone,
I bought my first real sports car last week! It's a '12 coupe. It's more than powerful to me, and looks beautiful. The forum has been great to learn more about the car. I have an issue, and wanted opinions from you all. Will use bullet points to keep it short:

-Certified pre-owned '12 coupe purchased from GM dealership

-Purchased the car last week

-There were a couple of minor issues which have been addressed (bad seal around headlamp, and molding around real wheels falling off)

-Within 36 hours of purchase, I noticed the steering shakes bad over 80 MPH, and contacted the dealership. The sales manager said the issue would be addressed and not to worry

-Car was dropped off yesterday, got it back today. The advisor called me and said the balance was off on the front tires, which they resolved. He said to come pick up the car, but stated he didn't know if the steering shake issue was resolved

-After driving home, I noticed the steering still shakes. I checked the invoice and noticed the comments for the road force reading was in the 20-25 range for both front tires.

-After reading posts here, I realized that was not in an acceptable range.

-I called the service department, the advisor was gone, but spoke to the foreman. He stated the reading was out of spec for the car. I asked why the advisor didn't notify me of this, when it seems to be an obvious problem. It came close to hearing excuses, but that quickly ended.

-Apparently the car became CPO months ago, and not necessarily when I signed the papers. He said he would have to speak to the sales manager again. It sounds like changing the tires are the fix, but the sales manager is not willing to address it.

-I purchased a CPO because I thought GM would stand by their product. I understand maintenance costs associated with sports cars, but to purchase a car that needs repairs before it's off the lot seems ridiculous to me.

-Any suggestions? Am I wrong to expect GM to sell me a CPO car that is stable at normal freeway speeds the day I drive it off the lot?

Looking forward to the good, bad, and ugly comments!

Thanks ahead of time!

For clarification, I am by no means an automotive expert in any way.

Last edited by jt11; 05-20-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Clarification at the end
Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Can you return it?

eta: this was not meant as a flip answer, but as a real answer.

Last edited by owc6; 05-20-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:01 AM
jt11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by owc6
Can you return it?
I'm not sure. Do you think that's the only option? I had a budget, but decided to go over it since it's GM backed CPO (luckily still able to afford it). Manufacturer's warranty seemed like an awesome idea. If the car didn't have the shake, I would have no regrets at this time.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:05 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I would agree that the GM dealer that conducted the CPO inspection should get the vibration fixed. Whether that is rotating the tires on the rim until they get optimum wheel weights and vibration is gone, or replacing the tires/rims if they cannot get rid of the vibration.
Here is part of that CPO inspection:

WHEEL AND TIRE CONDITION (INSPECT PRE-TEST DRIVE AND IN SERVICE BAY)
113. Tires meet 4/32" minimum requirement.
114. Wheel covers/wheel centre hubs OK (if equipped).
115. Tire side walls, valve stems, and wear pattern.
116. Tire size/correct air pressure/lug nuts secured.
117. Inspect wheel rims for damage.

During the test drive.
SUSPENSION/DRIVETRAIN/NOISE/VIBRATION/HARSHNESS
130. No abnormal vehicle noise, vibrations or harshness identified.

http://www.gmcertified.com/PDFs/Cert...st_02_2016.pdf

http://apps.gm.ca/app/GMCanada/Certi...ear~1111~make~

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-21-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:12 AM
jt11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I would agree that the GM dealer that conducted the CPO inspection should get the vibration fixed. Whether that is rotating the tires on the rim until they get optimum wheel weights and vibration is gone, or replacing the tires/rims if they cannot get rid of the vibration.
Here is part of that CPO inspection:

WHEEL AND TIRE CONDITION (INSPECT PRE-TEST DRIVE AND IN SERVICE BAY)
113. Tires meet 4/32" minimum requirement.
114. Wheel covers/wheel centre hubs OK (if equipped).
115. Tire side walls, valve stems, and wear pattern.
116. Tire size/correct air pressure/lug nuts secured.
117. Inspect wheel rims for damage.

During the test drive.
SUSPENSION/DRIVETRAIN/NOISE/VIBRATION/HARSHNESS
130. No abnormal vehicle noise, vibrations or harshness identified.

http://www.gmcertified.com/PDFs/Cert...st_02_2016.pdf
By any chance do you know what speed they officially test drive at? Could it be they test drove it at 55? Before anyone asks, I did test drive the car, but wasn't able to hit 80+ for any sustained amount of time. Traffic, cops, etc. That and I'm coming from a 200HP to a 400+ HP vehicle. I'm still learning to drive something this powerful, and as awesome as it is, don't want to push it until I'm ready.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:14 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Let the dealer fix it. One or two of those CPO inspection forms get pencil-whipped from time to time so it's not unusual for something to slip through.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:21 AM
jt11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by v26278
Let the dealer fix it. One or two of those CPO inspection forms get pencil-whipped from time to time so it's not unusual for something to slip through.
Hey man, I'm with you 100%. That's really all I want. This car is awesome to me in every way. My condensed version of the issue is they don't seem to think it's their issue to fix. Any idea how to convince them to "use common sense"? Not trying to be difficult, and apologize if I come off that way. If I'm being dense, please feel free to let me know.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:21 AM
owc6
Team Owner

I don't know without seeing your contract ( and I'm not a lawyer so seeing it probably won't help), but…..

There are plenty of good used C6s w/o problems coming out of the gate to be had.

It may be nothing, or it may be something in which you are ultimately holding the bag.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:29 AM
jt11
Intermediate

I don't know without seeing your contract ( and I'm not a lawyer so seeing it probably won't help), but…..

There are plenty of good used C6s w/o problems coming out of the gate to be had.

It may be nothing, or it may be something in which you are ultimately holding the bag.
Just checked CPO papers. Seems like I'm beyond the point of being able to return it.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:40 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jt11
Hey man, I'm with you 100%. That's really all I want. This car is awesome to me in every way. My condensed version of the issue is they don't seem to think it's their issue to fix. Any idea how to convince them to "use common sense"? Not trying to be difficult, and apologize if I come off that way. If I'm being dense, please feel free to let me know.
If you did nothing to damage the car in such a short time snd the dealer is pushing back, escalate it as needed it to the service manager, general manager, dealer principal until its resolved. Any reputable dealer would give you a fair shake, so if yours won't, I guess you should check your legal rights. Hope you get it sorted out and can enjoy your car.

Last edited by v26278; 05-21-2016 at 12:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jt11 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:45 AM
jt11
Intermediate

If you did nothing to damage the car in such a short time snd the dealer is pushing back, escalate it as needed it to the service manager, general manager, dealer principal until its resolved. Any reputable dealer would give you a fair shake, so of yours won't, check your legal rights.
I had to google "dealer principal", thanks!!! I intend to do that. Debated on hitting social media, but have never done that, and don't really care to start. Just wanted to get opinions from the forum.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:45 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

By any chance do you know what speed they officially test drive at? Could it be they test drove it at 55? Before anyone asks, I did test drive the car, but wasn't able to hit 80+ for any sustained amount of time. Traffic, cops, etc. That and I'm coming from a 200HP to a 400+ HP vehicle. I'm still learning to drive something this powerful, and as awesome as it is, don't want to push it until I'm ready.
I don't know, but I doubt if it was over the speed limit. Any tire balancing issue that I've ever had, it came at or over the 75-85 mph range.
I know if the Road Force Tech is good, they can get tires balanced with minimal weights by shifting the tire on the rim until he can get it no better. It takes time, so the tech has to be in no hurry.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2016, 12:51 AM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

If you did nothing to damage the car in such a short time snd the dealer is pushing back, escalate it as needed it to the service manager, general manager, dealer principal until its resolved. Any reputable dealer would give you a fair shake, so if yours won't, I guess you should check your legal rights. Hope you get it sorted out and can enjoy your car.
Take your purchase agreement and contract, take the car to the dealership, ask for the general manager, and park your butt in the showroom until they make you happy.

Last edited by the kid C6; 05-21-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:53 AM
jt11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Take your purchase agreement and contract, take the car to the dealership, ask for the general manager, and park your butt in the showroom until they make you happy.
LOL! That's my style, you have no idea. Debating on taking a vacation day Monday for just that.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 AM
jt11
Intermediate

I'm curious if anyone from GM reads these forums. I wonder if they are just apathetic to people who love the corvette and get this treatment from their dealerships.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:23 AM
owc6
Team Owner

I'm curious if anyone from GM reads these forums. I wonder if they are just apathetic to people who love the corvette and get this treatment from their dealerships.
Why, yes they do.

They usually respond and say they are so sooooooosssoooooory to hear of this and they will put you in touch with your local dealer to remedy this toot sweet,

And that's it.
The following users liked this post:
jt11 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 01:34 AM
jt11
Intermediate

Why, yes they do.

They usually respond and say they are so sooooooosssoooooory to hear of this and they will put you in touch with your local dealer to remedy this toot sweet,

And that's it.
I assumed that, but was hoping the assumption was wrong...

Get notified of new replies

To Certified Pre-Owned problems

Old 05-21-2016, 01:42 AM
owc6
Team Owner

I assumed that, but was hoping the assumption was wrong...
Let me rephrase:

They don't usually respond at all, but because you never know when they might be helpful, I keep holding out hope, but so far, their canned response is par for the course.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:05 AM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

LOL! That's my style, you have no idea. Debating on taking a vacation day Monday for just that.
It may take all day, sorry to say. Also, be prepared that GMs and Sales Managers take their days off during the week. At a dealership, almost everyone works weekends, so days off are weekdays.

My advice is to be consistently polite, but persistent. And you may need to be persistent. If things get really bad ... well, ask me later.

Disclaimer: I work for a dealership (not Chevrolet).

ETA, if you financed the car, you can also be persistent and polite with the finance manager (they also get a commission).

Last edited by the kid C6; 05-21-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:17 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Dealers sale their CPO's cars at a premium and they collected extra money from you, so they need to invest in a couple of tires or rims to make it right. That's one of the reasons to buy a CPO car, not having to deal with issues after the sale.

Quick Reply: Certified Pre-Owned problems