C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding factory navigation to my 11 GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:42 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep in mind that when you install the OEM nav unit and turn you car on, the nav unit will lock as mentioned previously.

Just be aware that some dealership technicians are not aware that this can be done. I sat at David Maus Chev for over an hour waiting to have the simple process done but I was told it could not be done.

I found some very detailed instructions on this site and I printed them out and had them with me just in case.

I finally talked the service manager into asking the tech to come out and talk. He did and I discussed it with the tech and showed him the instructions. He still said it could not be done but agreed to get his tech tool and try.

Once he plugged it in and followed the instructions he was amazed. He kept repeating that he had never seen the particular menu item.

Two minutes later when he saw the radio unlock he stood up and apologized.

It might be good if you searched here and found those instructions and take them with you just in case.

If you have any difficulty finding the instructions just let me know and I'll help.

The installation is very easy. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Find a local shop that has a tech 2 tool to marry your nav unit to your car. I took the directions with me to the shop and was charged 25.00 vs 100-120 at the dealership
Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,645 Posts

And for those of you who need the directions for marrying the Nav unit to the new car using a Tech Two that you should take to your dealer or Mechanic .....

1- At the main screen, select "Diagnostics"

2- From the Systems selection menu screen, Select "Body"

3- At the "VIN Indent" screen select.....
A- Appropriate model
B- Appropriate air conditioning
C- Nav radio

Next Select the "Body" screen,

A - Select Nav radio

B- In the "Radio Screen", select "Special Functions"

C Then select "VIN Relearn"

Then on the VIN relearn screen Tool will Display , "Do you want to clear the radio theft information?"

To begin clearing, press the "soft touch" key on the top right of the scan tool.

Then the TECH II will display "clearing theft in progress"

Once this cycle is done, press exit on the TECH II and cycle the ignition

The Nav unit will now marry to your car on next startup .
The following users liked this post:
cawar (12-22-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:37 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
Why would you put such a crappy disc navigation system in your car.? After market is so much better.

Bingo!

I hope this isn't the guy I sold my 13 GS unit to...

Last edited by 2k Cobra; 12-02-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Factory Nav.

Forget about adding the Factory Nav. to your car. They are Junk!
Nothing like the one I have in my 15 GMC. Which is very user friendly!
They are very hard to use and understand!
rik8020 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ROJ#79
The only advantage to the stock NAV is the HUD interface. I don't pay much attention to the HUD anyway. Why anyone would use the stock NAV unit when Waze is available for free is beyond me. Oh yeah...you can't use Waze on those old man flip phones.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:47 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Jimnc
The only advantage to the stock NAV is the HUD interface. I don't pay much attention to the HUD anyway. Why anyone would use the stock NAV unit when Waze is available for free is beyond me. Oh yeah...you can't use Waze on those old man flip phones.
Waze is fine when you don't have your music blasting, which is probably most of the time by many members here on the forum. And that is the reason I use the OME nav system with my HUD. And by the way, this old man has a Iphone from Consumer Cellular, the elderly people company.

Last edited by billyboy47; 12-03-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:51 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by ROJ#79
As I stated a few times here on the forum, it is user friendly when you learn the system. I never have a problem with mine for as little use I get out of it in a garage queen car.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra

Bingo!

I hope this isn't the guy I sold my 13 GS unit to...
Guys the OP asked about Factory Navigation installation , not reviews on if its crappy or good , mine is better than yours debate......

Some of us do not want aftermarket units and are quite happy with the Factory Nav . Just as many folks state they have no problem using the Nav as those that report problems

While it is not the easiest system to use it by far is not the hardest .....

Wow how the heck do these threads always derail....

Dave
Old 12-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Guys the OP asked about Factory Navigation installation , not reviews on if its crappy or good , mine is better than yours debate......

Some of us do not want aftermarket units and are quite happy with the Factory Nav . Just as many folks state they have no problem using the Nav as those that report problems

While it is not the easiest system to use it by far is not the hardest .....

Wow how the heck do these threads always derail....

Dave
Dave,

The OP is considering installing a low tech NAV unit at considerable time and expense. I don't think it's derailing the thread for others to give opinions on the efficacy of that decision. It's one thing to have the OEM NAV and live with it rather than go aftermarket. It's another matter to make a decision to install outdated technology when cheaper and more modern alternatives are readily available.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Dave,

The OP is considering installing a low tech NAV unit at considerable time and expense. I don't think it's derailing the thread for others to give opinions on the efficacy of that decision. It's one thing to have the OEM NAV and live with it rather than go aftermarket. It's another matter to make a decision to install outdated technology when cheaper and more modern alternatives are readily available.
Not everyone values features in the same way. You dismissed the OE unit wholesale as if it was a foolish choice, and went beyond facts to slam those forum members who are older with your "old man flip phones" snark. How is that not "derailing"?

BTW, I have an iPhone 7+, and even with that big phone screen, I'd much rather use the OEM nav. People have different prefs -- there is not a single "right" answer here that we have to try to "shame" people into using.
Dcasole (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Dave,

No disrespect intended as I only commented because clearly in post 17 and 22 the OP has made his decision to go with the factory navagation even after others have pointed out that it does not have the latest and the greatest updates

While its not as good as some of the newer units it does have many upsides ...
Its plug and play , no rewiring nessascary except for the vin relearn
No extra items required to integrate the steering wheel controls
It will integrate with his factory blue tooth .....
It displays on the hud
It will be a factory installed look ...
Except for the vin relearn, anybody that can turn a screwdriver can swap this unit into their car

All of these were important to me as well as others i am sure
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 12-03-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by Dcasole
No disrespect intended as I only commented because clearly in post 17 and 22 the OP has made his decision to go with the factory navagation even after others have pointed out that it does not have the latest and the greatest updates

While its not as good as some of the newer units it does have many upsides ...
Its plug and play , no rewiring nessascary except for the vin relearn
No extra items required to integrate the steering wheel controls
It will integrate with his factory blue tooth .....
It displays on the hud
It will be a factory installed look ...
Except for the vin relearn, anybody that can turn a screwdriver can swap this unit into their car

All of these were important to me as well as others i am sure
Dave
Dave,

I want to thank you. I'm the OP of this thread. I did go with the Factory NAV and I'm completely happy with it. You are exactly right, other than the vin relearn, it's a complete plug and play with NO RIGGING to install which is what I wanted.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by torchred_lt1
Dave,

I want to thank you. I'm the OP of this thread. I did go with the Factory NAV and I'm completely happy with it. You are exactly right, other than the vin relearn, it's a complete plug and play with NO RIGGING to install which is what I wanted.
Be sure to find the owners manual for it and learn how to use it. It takes a bit of getting used to but after that it really does work well. Mine has always got me to where I want to go.
Cedar (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Cedar
Pro

I did just that. I found a new one online cheap so I bought it. I also downloaded the PDF version first but I didn't want to print 100 pages and carry it around.

Quick Reply: Adding factory navigation to my 11 GS