C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Spark Plug Wire Install Tip

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Default MSD Spark Plug Wire Install Tip

So I decided to change out my stock red GM performance wires to MSD after installing Kooks headers, mostly because one stock boot was resting on one of the primary tubes. The shop wrapped the boot with that high heat silver tape, but I wanted to try the MSD's since the boots are longer and flexible. I read on this forum about guys having trouble getting MSD's to click onto the coils in particular (two clicks). Sure enough, I had the same problem, wondering what the heck was going on. I couldn't even get them to click once! I had used dielectric grease on both ends. The trick is to use a pick or a very slim screw driver and release the air pressure inside the boot at the coil. Once I slid the boot on about halfway, I inserted the pick alongside the coil into the boot and pulled out a bit, and I could hear a pop/whoosh which was of course the air rushing out. Then I had to push really hard (had to use a plug puller tool on one of them) to get those suckers to click onto the coils, but with a little muscle, they all clicked twice and seem to be very secure. The spark plug ends were easy - with a little grease they clicked on each plug once with just a normal amount of pressure. I didn't retain the factory metal boots since I'll be installing a set of Hinson cool sox (1200 degree). See the picture below. The wire second from the left at the plug was bent a bit to keep it off the header where the stock wire was resting previously. The car fired up (dare I say more quickly than with stock wires?) right away and found idle pretty fast too. So far, with 0 miles on the wires, I'm happy with them. I have a drive with my club this weekend to put her through the paces and make sure everything is working as expected.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 AM
MDSilverVette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Have not heard of that. I use them and didn't have an issue when I put them. They work great though.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:45 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Good tip, as I think that the OEM's have the same issue with popping off in so many posts here.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Its called "burping" and is a fix for plug wires coming lose. Ive shown this to mamy members in my club. Got a swelled head but I learned it here....LOL

Clif
The following users liked this post:
Must_Have_Z (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Thank God for this forum. Without it, most of my projects, even simple ones like getting spark plug wires to "click" twice, would fail miserably!

You guys rock!

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Spark Plug Wire Install Tip

Quick Reply: MSD Spark Plug Wire Install Tip