C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 09' 6Spd @ 215k Miles | Would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 PM
CowsGoMooooooooo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a 09' 6Spd @ 215k Miles | Would you do it?

Mods please burn this thread with fire and send it to hell!

Last edited by CowsGoMooooooooo; 07-22-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Beyond the eventual price of the car, how much money do you have left over? And, how much work can you do on this Corvette, not just any car?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by AORoads
Beyond the eventual price of the car, how much money do you have left over? And, how much work can you do on this Corvette, not just any car?
As in change a clutch? That wont be easy.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 PM
CowsGoMooooooooo
Intermediate

Depends man, I have to get rid of money for some aid. I have about 10k available, another 3k in a loan that isn't due for another year if I am in school. Still have about 3k in car parts to sell, and my current vehicle has a value of 6300.

This vehicle isn't listed AS-IS in the description or notes, so assuming it's a green light I will discuss more closely with the head of the used car department tomorrow. But as far as I know reading the Arbitration is any mechanical fix or problem greater than $500 the car can be returned.

I've done about everything there is to do a on a super and have access to low professional work prices to fix things. For certain it is running and working. There is nothing listed about any mechanical issues and recently passed a full inspection from the dealership who sent it to the auction which I am trying to get more specific information form tomorrow morning.

Only thing is the CEL is on, which at most I'm hoping it's a clogged cat at that kind of mileage. Every 200k+ vehicle I've had has a cat code on it. I don't mind the super high mileage tells me the car has been driven and was probably all highway going ot be hard to do that in city. Only worried about the clutch for the most part. Would be fun bragging about that many miles on a vette.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 PM
CowsGoMooooooooo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wayback
As in change a clutch? That wont be easy.
Yes clutch. According to the Carfax history not much was reported so this person either did the work themselves or did non dealer work. I'd assume the clutch would already have to be replaced by then, or with averaging 30k miles a year the clutch hasn't been worn that much? (Assuming you pretty much have to do all highway travel to get that kind of mileage on a 2009).
Old 07-19-2016, 08:39 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A huge amount depends on how the car was maintained, are records available ? At 200+K miles a lot of parts are near worn out. I personally would not pay more than $5-6K for the car and then expect to pay about that much to bring the car back up to decent driver condition.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:43 PM
CowsGoMooooooooo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
A huge amount depends on how the car was maintained, are records available ? At 200+K miles a lot of parts are near worn out. I personally would not pay more than $5-6K for the car and then expect to pay about that much to bring the car back up to decent driver condition.
Yeah pretty weak car history report. Inspec and oil at 116k. Maintenance inspec and climate control replaced and PCU inspected at 187k. And another inspection at 215k when they gave it away for auction.

As far as I know I feel most take decent care of th eir corvettes. Pictures still show near perfect car, only a cut on the drivers seat.

I'm not excited abotu the color either but if it goes for aorund 7k I'm all over it. KBB says 10.5k but I highly doub tthere are enough sales that high mileage for that to be accurate.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't go shopping at dealers for used cars, but when I have, I don't recall seeing any that didn't have "AS-IS" on the windshield sticker. Have you? Regardless, you've got the questions answered, so good luck whatever way you go---buy or not.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 PM
CowsGoMooooooooo
Intermediate

I don't go shopping at dealers for used cars, but when I have, I don't recall seeing any that didn't have "AS-IS" on the windshield sticker. Have you? Regardless, you've got the questions answered, so good luck whatever way you go---buy or not.
Yes depending on a dealers used lot at least in kentucky have to have a as is or warranty paper on display.

I'm not buying from a dealer lot I'm looking at a Manheim auction.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CowsGoMooooooooo
...I have to get rid of money for some aid. I have about 10k available, another 3k in a loan that isn't due for another year if I am in school. Still have about 3k in car parts to sell, and my current vehicle has a value of 6300.
Ok, so maybe I am confused a little here. You "need" to get rid of some money so you can qualify for additional student aid. You currently have another $3k in student loan money but are not intending to use that for school. You have an operational vehicle worth $6300. However, you will spend the $10k and the $3k of student loan money to purchase a high mileage Corvette so you can qualify for additional student aid. Did I miss something in this thread?

Once you have spent the money you have in hand, how do you intend to pay for repairs on a Corvette and pay for tuition to get the degree which will hopefully help you land a job (I pray in some field other than economics or finance) so you can repay the loans and student aid?

Please tell me I am missing something here...
Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts

That would be just a bit more miles on it than I would want.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM
CowsGoMooooooooo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
Ok, so maybe I am confused a little here. You "need" to get rid of some money so you can qualify for additional student aid. You currently have another $3k in student loan money but are not intending to use that for school. You have an operational vehicle worth $6300. However, you will spend the $10k and the $3k of student loan money to purchase a high mileage Corvette so you can qualify for additional student aid. Did I miss something in this thread?

Once you have spent the money you have in hand, how do you intend to pay for repairs on a Corvette and pay for tuition to get the degree which will hopefully help you land a job (I pray in some field other than economics or finance) so you can repay the loans and student aid?

Please tell me I am missing something here...
It was a joke. Also for that comment, **** off my thread!

I have enough for school either way, but yes having less cash assets on hand greatly increases the aid I will receive. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

School is a backup plan. I already have a spot in Chrysler's tech program and they'll make more than my schooling however I'm already a year in so I mine as well finish it.

Last edited by CowsGoMooooooooo; 07-19-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 PM
dadsbadhabit
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It sounds like you have it all figured out, go for it.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:38 PM
CowsGoMooooooooo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadsbadhabit
It sounds like you have it all figured out, go for it.
Worst part would be if the clutch is slipping. But hey getting a c6 for like 7k I think would be worth it either way?

Down the road I want a twin turbo beast, so as stuff breaks build it better I guess.

Of all things I find myself worry about the color most LOL.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

save your money and go to school.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:03 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

It was a joke. Also for that comment, **** off my thread!

I have enough for school either way, but yes having less cash assets on hand greatly increases the aid I will receive. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

School is a backup plan. I already have a spot in Chrysler's tech program and they'll make more than my schooling however I'm already a year in so I mine as well finish it.
Your joke isn't funny and you don't have any "cash assets" dummy. Are you seriously asking how you can ditch money that you borrowed from your fellow citizens (us) to allow you to buy a worn out Corvette and then get more money from the citizens (us)? Based on your writing ability it would appear that the citizens (us) have wasted our money on your education thus far. BTW, if you already have a spot in Chrysler's tech program as you allege, why are you asking us to pay more money on your "education"? Pay your own way, leech.

Last edited by RagTop69; 07-20-2016 at 02:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RagTop69:
AORoads (07-20-2016), RobLo (07-21-2016), Wildmanht (07-22-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I wouldn't buy any used car with > 60,000 miles. Been there done that.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a 09' 6Spd @ 215k Miles | Would you do it?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:08 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Having less cash assets on hand greatly increases the aid I will receive. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

Okay, it seems fairly straight forward and easy to understand.

You need to dispose of some of your cash on hand so that you'll appear in need and eligible to receive free taxpayer money.

In a nutshell, that's what you're saying.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 07-20-2016, 07:32 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Chrysler tech program........now there is a solid lifetime career.
Not!!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver
Okay, it seems fairly straight forward and easy to understand.

You need to dispose of some of your cash on hand so that you'll appear in need and eligible to receive free taxpayer money.

In a nutshell, that's what you're saying.

Regards,
-Ward
He's no doubt a big fan of Bernie.....