C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery, No key to unlock trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dead battery, No key to unlock trunk.

Had a situation happen to me yesterday, and just wanted to share in case someone else were to have the same issue.

The dilemma was yesterday morning, the battery died. Right as I'm leaving to work, I get in and it won't turn over. Only enough juice was left to open the doors. I'm pretty tilted at this point, so I shut my door and just rode with my wife to get to work that morning. On the way to work, once I stopped being so upset, I realized that I should of left the door open or at least the windows down while the battery still had a bit of power. Reason being that I lost my only key to be able to open the trunk, and haven't made it a priority to go to the dealership to get another made. So on my way back home, we pick up a battery and I'm praying that I can at least open the door. NO LUCK!

So here's the information that may help anyone in the future as to how to get into your car, if you have a dead battery & no key to open your trunk.

I took the new battery I just picked up, and some speaker wire that I had laying around.
I then took a torx bit, and unscrewed a tail light. (Either one will work I'm assuming, but I did the inside right tail light.)
Pulled the tail light out, and unplug it.
You're left with the connector with 1 green wire & 2 black wires.
Green wire I believe is the positive, and the black wire on the outside (not the black wire in the middle) is the negative.
I connected the speaker wire to the positive and negative ends on the connector.
Then processed to wrap the positive wire to the positive terminal on the battery FIRST.
Then I just touched the negative wire to the negative terminal to make contact.

At this point there was enough juice in the system, so I grabbed my fob and pressed the trunk release button. And wallah, the trunk popped.

Now you can reverse the steps to get your tail light put back together.

And now with the trunk open, you have the ability to pull the driver side door cable to unlock the door, open your door and pop your hood to replace/charge the battery.

Figured if this information was useful to me, it might be useful to someone else doing a search on the forum or google. Hoping it gets some sort of visibility.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spiderxkx:
88redconvert (12-02-2022), kenoverbey (11-28-2016), Kevin Mason (12-03-2022)
Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Good news. Never heard of this. Heard of some getting 12v to the starter solenoid to open the door.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:08 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderxkx
Had a situation happen to me yesterday, and just wanted to share in case someone else were to have the same issue.

The dilemma was yesterday morning, the battery died. Right as I'm leaving to work, I get in and it won't turn over. Only enough juice was left to open the doors. I'm pretty tilted at this point, so I shut my door and just rode with my wife to get to work that morning. On the way to work, once I stopped being so upset, I realized that I should of left the door open or at least the windows down while the battery still had a bit of power. Reason being that I lost my only key to be able to open the trunk, and haven't made it a priority to go to the dealership to get another made. So on my way back home, we pick up a battery and I'm praying that I can at least open the door. NO LUCK!

So here's the information that may help anyone in the future as to how to get into your car, if you have a dead battery & no key to open your trunk.

I took the new battery I just picked up, and some speaker wire that I had laying around.
I then took a torx bit, and unscrewed a tail light. (Either one will work I'm assuming, but I did the inside right tail light.)
Pulled the tail light out, and unplug it.
You're left with the connector with 1 green wire & 2 black wires.
Green wire I believe is the positive, and the black wire on the outside (not the black wire in the middle) is the negative.
I connected the speaker wire to the positive and negative ends on the connector.
Then processed to wrap the positive wire to the positive terminal on the battery FIRST.
Then I just touched the negative wire to the negative terminal to make contact.

At this point there was enough juice in the system, so I grabbed my fob and pressed the trunk release button. And wallah, the trunk popped.

Now you can reverse the steps to get your tail light put back together.

And now with the trunk open, you have the ability to pull the driver side door cable to unlock the door, open your door and pop your hood to replace/charge the battery.

Figured if this information was useful to me, it might be useful to someone else doing a search on the forum or google. Hoping it gets some sort of visibility.
You lost your key? Is it not part of the FOB?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 PM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lwise4
On a C-6 the key and fob are separate

USAF
Old 08-18-2016, 01:25 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

My C6 FOB and key are one unit.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Originally Posted by lwise4
It's an 07, I believe the key and fob as one unit was introduced in 08.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

If it had enough power to open the trunk wouldn't it have had enough to open the door?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Old Ben
If it had enough power to open the trunk wouldn't it have had enough to open the door?
It very well could have, but I only left the battery attached for no more than 3 seconds which was plenty of time to pop the trunk. From there I just pulled the cable to open the door.
Regardless, the end result would of been the same.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 902 Likes on 587 Posts

It very well could have, but I only left the battery attached for no more than 3 seconds which was plenty of time to pop the trunk. From there I just pulled the cable to open the door.
Regardless, the end result would of been the same.
I did pul the cable in the trunk once to make sure it worked which it did. My question is, how does that lower the window to open the door?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:14 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I did pul the cable in the trunk once to make sure it worked which it did. My question is, how does that lower the window to open the door?
It wont. but the door will still open with the window up.
Window will not seal properly against the seal if you try to close the door with the window completely up. In fact you have some resistance in closing the door if you cant lower the window a bit.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Having a hard time seeing how this would have worked.

The +/- wires at the tail light are not constantly connected -- only when the lights are on or turn signal has been activated. Otherwise the tail light bulb would be constantly lit while you are parked.

So supplying power to the wiring in the light bulb connector shouldn't complete *any* circuit, and thus shouldn't supply any power to enable the latches to work.

Thoughts?

Maybe it was coincidence that with a low battery, the trunk was able to pop at that time?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kent1999

The +/- wires at the tail light are not constantly connected -- only when the lights are on or turn signal has been activated. Otherwise the tail light bulb would be constantly lit while you are parked.

So supplying power to the wiring in the light bulb connector shouldn't complete *any* circuit, and thus shouldn't supply any power to enable the latches to work.

Thoughts?

Maybe it was coincidence that with a low battery, the trunk was able to pop at that time?
You can try it yourself and see that it works. Not trying to sound rude, but I'm just posting to supply information that will be useful to whoever needs it and is in the same situation.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:47 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

Thoughts?

I agree, but didn't want to start anything. Unless the lights are on, there is no connection to battery power.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:53 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Great info!!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

You can try it yourself and see that it works. Not trying to sound rude, but I'm just posting to supply information that will be useful to whoever needs it and is in the same situation.
No disrespect intended at all, OP. I have no doubt you experienced it just as you said. I'm just trying to figure out the mechanics of *how* it works like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
FortMorganAl (08-19-2016), Prb1948 (12-11-2022)
Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

No disrespect either, but there is no logic to this being the reason the trunk opened. Unless, in some unexplained way, by powering the tail light you somehow caused the BCM to complete a circuit backwards.

What is more logical to me - batteries do not go completely dead. If the battery was significantly low, then there was a significant reduction in the antenna receptivity. I'm betting that, by luck, you were in the best spot to make contact with the security antenna which popped the trunk.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Well, there's one way to find out for sure. Disconnect the battery and try it again.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead battery, No key to unlock trunk.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:25 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

...I am glad you got into your car and were able to replace the battery!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Well, there's one way to find out for sure. Disconnect the battery and try it again.
The thing is - the BCM powers the car's security, so in an unexplainable way, this connect could have powered up the BCM, isolated from the CAN, which, in turn powered up the antenna. If so....I don't have a good feeling about this...
Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I am little surprised that a direct spike on the circuit didn't pop the fuse to the lights.

Quick Reply: Dead battery, No key to unlock trunk.