C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To lower or not to lower. That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 02:14 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To lower or not to lower. That is the question

Got some aftermarket wheels for my Vette and the better offset shows the gap a bit more on my base C6. I really would like to lower it on stock bolts and get an alignment afterwards. But not 100% sure. Certain angles it looks worse than others. I am just on the fence to lower it and don't want to regret lowering it due to affecting the performance of the car negatively just for a look.

Would lowering it on stock bolts help for a better look and still keep the rake which I want?

thanks guys for all and any input
Old 09-02-2016, 02:21 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

When I bought my car it was lowered over 2" in the front which made it almost impossible to drive anywhere without scraping. Drove me nuts, frequently had to slow down driving back roads which is not what driving a sports car is all about! I raised it back to factory settings and like the car soooo much better. So a little is probably OK but don't over do it.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:29 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

You've answered your own question, lower it to get rid of the gap, use your stock bolts... show us pictures when done.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:32 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Will do.

Yeah I found a 12 page thread with lowered c6's on here and some guys go crazy when lowering their vette. But man it would make mine look so much better. I am trying to figure out how much I want to lower the front and if I want to have the rear bushing cut in the rear to get the rear a bit more lower. But not sure if that is a good idea to do that to the rear if I still want to have a factory style rake. Plus I don't want to over stress the rear axle if it changes the geometry of it and could cause it to wear more.

I scrape mine when I exit my driveway if I don't leave with a good enough angle. but I know its just the air dam below and to scrape that is normal.

Last edited by 4drturbo; 09-02-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:37 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

depending on where you live and the roads you drive on would determine how low you can go.
Mine is low... I brush the occasional speed bump but thats about it.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:40 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Roads are awesome out here, I live outside of the city.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

The rake of the car was figured out by engineers of which I am not one, so I chose to stick pretty close to it. I lowered the back what I could without cutting anything Front is stock
Do Vettes look "KOOL" lowered, hell yeah but the trade off was not worth it for me
NSF
Old 09-02-2016, 05:11 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

I've lowered mine twice. First round was turning the stock bolts all the way up. Still too much gap for me, I rode with it like that for almost 6 months.
I recently had the front and rear bolts cut and I couldn't be happier. Yes, there are some situations where I need to slow down but that is the trade off.
Handling wasn't compromised IMO. Then again, I don't track the car. It is my daily.
With my car being black, the shadows make it difficult to see the wheel opening gap.
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Yeah that is too low for me. It does look great though especially with those c7 z06 repros. Can you fit a jack underneath it?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Yeah that is too low for me. It does look great though especially with those c7 z06 repros. Can you fit a jack underneath it?
Thanks. Yes I can fit a low profile floor jack underneath.
I would suggest turning the bolts all the way and see how you like it. It will make a noticeable difference.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:47 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Someday I make look at a air ride system. My problem has always been scraping on roads with dips engineered to channel water down the street. Can't drive on certain streets. If I do, drivers come up behind me trying to pass or get angry with the one fingered salute because I slowed down for a dip in the road.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:59 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
Someday I make look at a air ride system. My problem has always been scraping on roads with dips engineered to channel water down the street. Can't drive on certain streets. If I do, drivers come up behind me trying to pass or get angry with the one fingered salute because I slowed down for a dip in the road.
If you get in the habit of turning on your hazard lights while doing this, people don't get angry at all. They get it.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Decided to lower it. I like doing my own work usually, but having a corvette shop that does them all the time and will get the heights perfect on the corners. Just lowering on stock bolts. Excited for a new look it gives.

Here are some current photos after a detail of the stock height. Stock height isn't that bad at this angle.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:18 PM
_05C6_
Pro

*four wheel drive mode activated* :-)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Wheels with lesser offsets that are in the aftermarket designs only make the car look higher...especially at stock height. You need to get rid of all that fender gap to make it look good.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:23 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

About one inch will get the job done and still make the car drivable on marginal paved streets. I did mine several years by using the stock bolts and cutting two rings off the rear adjusting bolt cushions. Looks good and drives fine, no issues what so ever.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:35 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
Originally Posted by owc6
If you get in the habit of turning on your hazard lights while doing this, people don't get angry at all. They get it.
Now that would **** people like me off even more. Get your POS off the road if it can't cross a crack in the pavement. I nearly rear ended a lowered pickup truck once because it almost came to a complete stop to go over a small bridge that has a little hump. WTF, a pickup truck so low it's non-functional? At least a lowered Vette does look good.

Since I got my GS back up to factory ride height it rides better too. I think the ride height sensors for the magnetic selective ride control get confused when you lower it.

Get notified of new replies

To To lower or not to lower. That is the question

Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by _05C6_
*four wheel drive mode activated* :-)

Originally Posted by LFZ
Wheels with lesser offsets that are in the aftermarket designs only make the car look higher...especially at stock height. You need to get rid of all that fender gap to make it look good.
Makes, sense...well said.

I do have a better offset then stock base with those wheels.

About one inch will get the job done and still make the car drivable on marginal paved streets. I did mine several years by using the stock bolts and cutting two rings off the rear adjusting bolt cushions. Looks good and drives fine, no issues what so ever
Yeah I hear the rears doesn't lower as much as the front does. But that kind of makes sense since you want to have a rake with these cars.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:49 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

To lower, that's always the answer....
Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 AM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Now that would **** people like me off even more. Get your POS off the road if it can't cross a crack in the pavement. I nearly rear ended a lowered pickup truck once because it almost came to a complete stop to go over a small bridge that has a little hump. WTF, a pickup truck so low it's non-functional? At least a lowered Vette does look good.

Since I got my GS back up to factory ride height it rides better too. I think the ride height sensors for the magnetic selective ride control get confused when you lower it.
100%
If you just use the car to cruise to Starbucks and Show and Shines....go ahead and lower it. If you actually DRIVE it....leave it alone!

Quick Reply: To lower or not to lower. That is the question