C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires, Tires Tires for a C6 GS???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 01:48 AM
Warden398
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tires, Tires Tires for a C6 GS???

Hello,

New Corvette owner here!!

Just bought a 2012 GS CE with 16,000 miles, tires are the original GY RF's. They have 4 10th's of tread left and I hear what I feel is a lot of read noise while driving coming from the passenger right rear. Not owning the car from day one I can't say if it's always been this loud but it's my assumption it wasn't based on what I've read regarding the tire size and type.

I've done some searching on the forum but don't see a clear choice being made by fellow C6 owners regarding tires. I'm not tracking the car, it will be driven primary on HWY's. What RF tire is everyone buying? If not a RF what regular tire is the choice?

I guess I'm not sure which way I lean but I really don't care for the road noise. Is it due to the tires getting lower on tread or is it just what comes with having RF's? Maybe I need to look into installing sound deadening material in the hatch area?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Couple things, the GY run flats are very noisy. Even new they have the constant hum. This is exacerbated by the rear cargo area that acts like a hollow drum and adds to the acoustics. I have a Z06 so it's essentially the same body and wheel size. I couldn't stand the GY RF's for these reasons and ride harshness. They felt like solid rubber tires rolling down the road on top of terrible tread life and very heavy physical weight. I switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non run flats) and they have been a remarkable improvement in every facet. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot.
The following users liked this post:
dmoneychris (05-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2016, 05:01 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
Couple things, the GY run flats are very noisy. Even new they have the constant hum. This is exacerbated by the rear cargo area that acts like a hollow drum and adds to the acoustics. I have a Z06 so it's essentially the same body and wheel size. I couldn't stand the GY RF's for these reasons and ride harshness. They felt like solid rubber tires rolling down the road on top of terrible tread life and very heavy physical weight.

C5 and C6 took GY off soon as I could justify new tires. I look for more comfort and Quiet ride first then grip in cooler and wet weather. Living in the PNW we have cooler temps on average. I don't run in the snow and ice, just clear roads.

Just ordered a set of Continental DWS06 which is an A/S, non run flat, high performance tire. Tire rack rated right up there with the best for A/S tires. You might want to check them out on Tire Rack if you don't track your car and want a better ride than run flats or maybe some summer tires.
One of the best ratings on ride Comfort and Noise, wet or light snow, and a little less on cornering etc.

Price for four regular sizes (C6 Base) this last week $885 just for the tires. And they had a rebate(ended now). www.discounttiredirect.com Any other cost of mounting and balancing etc. extra but same as most any tires. I always use Discount Tire had them shipped to local Discount store I use. Free shipping and no sales tax for me.

Good luck, but get rid of the GY at least is your best bet. IMO

Last edited by NOWUCME; 09-08-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:08 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Bridgestone Pole Position RE050A. Best runflat that is currently available in GS/Z06 sizes (this could be debated with the Michelins). Mine have been on the car for 7000 miles now and I'm very happy with them. They have probably 95% of the ultimate grip and handling of the OEM Goodyears but are much, much quieter and ride better. Instead of lasting only 12k miles they are supposed to last 35-40k miles. Get ready for a big ticket - they will set you back around $2100 mounted, balanced, and taxes.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I love my Hankook Ventus evo2's. Quiet, smooth ride,awesome handling,great in the rain and awesome wear rating.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:23 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

I also have the Bridgestone RFT's on my 13 GS. I took the worn out GY's off at 14,000 miles. The Bridgestone's have 17,000 miles on them and they look like they will go another 20,000 easy. I don't track the car so I had the Pfadt Street Alignment applied and the wear is dead even all the way across all four tires. They are so much quieter than the GY Runcraps and much better in wet conditions. I got mine mounted, balanced and out the door for $1,750.00.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:31 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed
I also have the Bridgestone RFT's on my 13 GS. I took the worn out GY's off at 14,000 miles. The Bridgestone's have 17,000 miles on them and they look like they will go another 20,000 easy. I don't track the car so I had the Pfadt Street Alignment applied and the wear is dead even all the way across all four tires. They are so much quieter than the GY Runcraps and much better in wet conditions. I got mine mounted, balanced and out the door for $1,750.00.
You got a he!! of a deal. Mine were $2000 and I shopped pretty hard to find that deal; it includes lifetime balance and I had a Pfadt street alignment done as well.

I forgot to mention the better wet traction; the GY's hydroplaned badly if there was any water on the road. I wouldn't run more than 50 mph on the highway if it was raining.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Tirerack still has 355 pirelli for 102 each rear. (they are 2012 stock) I added 285 p-zero to the front and I am loving it. For $800 shipped to my door and 4 tires for our cars thats as cheap as I could find. They seem to fit just fine as well and I havent had any issues. I even ran an auto x with them already and the balance of the car was the best I have ever had.

Last edited by amlarson2001; 09-08-2016 at 11:31 AM.
dr_gallup (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
Bridgestone Pole Position RE050A. Best runflat that is currently available in GS/Z06 sizes (this could be debated with the Michelins). Mine have been on the car for 7000 miles now and I'm very happy with them. They have probably 95% of the ultimate grip and handling of the OEM Goodyears but are much, much quieter and ride better. Instead of lasting only 12k miles they are supposed to last 35-40k miles. Get ready for a big ticket - they will set you back around $2100 mounted, balanced, and taxes.
I agree with everything BadAV says - meaning I've had 2 sets on my 2011 GS, and loved them. A very predictable tire, that should get you about 30k miles of life for street driving.

HOWEVER, I only paid around $1,200 for everything at Discount Tire, including their lifetime road hazard package too
Old 09-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Hans D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Warden398
Hello,

New Corvette owner here!!

Just bought a 2012 GS CE with 16,000 miles, tires are the original GY RF's. They have 4 10th's of tread left and I hear what I feel is a lot of read noise while driving coming from the passenger right rear. Not owning the car from day one I can't say if it's always been this loud but it's my assumption it wasn't based on what I've read regarding the tire size and type.

I've done some searching on the forum but don't see a clear choice being made by fellow C6 owners regarding tires. I'm not tracking the car, it will be driven primary on HWY's. What RF tire is everyone buying? If not a RF what regular tire is the choice?

I guess I'm not sure which way I lean but I really don't care for the road noise. Is it due to the tires getting lower on tread or is it just what comes with having RF's? Maybe I need to look into installing sound deadening material in the hatch area?

Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the C6GS family...you should post a pic of your new baby! I bought my C6GS a little over a year ago. As the second owner luckily the previous guy put an entire new set of the GY Supercar run flats on just before he traded it for a C7, so I don't have to think of replacing tires yet. I have read a lot of posts about people that can't seem to get any miles out of the GY tires. A friend with a 2012 got a little over 20k out of his and did a LOT of aggressive cornering and jack rabbit starts. I can't attest to the noise, living in a warm climate driving a coupe with the windows up and AC on...also nothing to compare them to yet. I have read a lot of good things about Michelins and since I have always been happy with them on my other cars will probably go that way when its time. Good Luck and have fun with your new Grand Sport!

'13 Grand Sport
Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Hans D
Welcome to the C6GS family...you should post a pic of your new baby! I bought my C6GS a little over a year ago. As the second owner luckily the previous guy put an entire new set of the GY Supercar run flats on just before he traded it for a C7, so I don't have to think of replacing tires yet. I have read a lot of posts about people that can't seem to get any miles out of the GY tires. A friend with a 2012 got a little over 20k out of his and did a LOT of aggressive cornering and jack rabbit starts. I can't attest to the noise, living in a warm climate driving a coupe with the windows up and AC on...also nothing to compare them to yet. I have read a lot of good things about Michelins and since I have always been happy with them on my other cars will probably go that way when its time. Good Luck and have fun with your new Grand Sport!

'13 Grand Sport
Beautiful car! Congrats!
Old 09-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Ronald Koch Jr.
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Another vote for the Hankook non run flats.

Ron
Old 09-08-2016, 05:49 PM
GaVette61
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I read on another thread that Michelin was going to make the PSS A/S3 in the GS rear size but haven't been able to find any info on that. Has anyone heard any more about that?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:26 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
Couple things, the GY run flats are very noisy. Even new they have the constant hum. This is exacerbated by the rear cargo area that acts like a hollow drum and adds to the acoustics. I have a Z06 so it's essentially the same body and wheel size. I couldn't stand the GY RF's for these reasons and ride harshness. They felt like solid rubber tires rolling down the road on top of terrible tread life and very heavy physical weight. I switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non run flats) and they have been a remarkable improvement in every facet. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot.
13 GS
Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronald Koch Jr.
Another vote for the Hankook non run flats.

Ron
Flip-floppin between the Hankooks and the Toyo Proxes, pretty close in price, cant make up my mind
NSF
Old 09-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Warden398
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the information everyone! It's helpful to know what others have experienced and are experiencing. I'm going to start watching prices on the Michelins, Bridgestone and Hankooks.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

Have a 13 GS. Based on all the previous threads I'd summarize it like this :

Non run flat, cheaper . . . Hankook

Non run flat, more $$ . . . Continental, Michelin or Bridgestone

Run flats, all pricey, Michelin or Bridgestone

OEM . . . Goodyear run flats, not popular.

There are non all season or winter tires in original GS sizes. Dont waste time looking. Been rumors every year they are coming, but it ain't happened yet.
Warden398 (09-08-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Tires, Tires Tires for a C6 GS???

Old 09-08-2016, 09:41 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Your going to get a lot of different info on this. I had a set of GY Run Flats on my (bought new) 13 GS. at 14,000 miles I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 (Run flats). The GoodYears were not worn out yet but noisy and hard riding. The Michelins are much quiter, I get a smother ride, and have more grip on dry or wet roads. Very happy with them.

Last edited by tealex; 09-08-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Warden398 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Warden398
Thanks for all the information everyone! It's helpful to know what others have experienced and are experiencing. I'm going to start watching prices on the Michelins, Bridgestone and Hankooks.
Hankooks have a $100 rebate till the end of the month, FYI
NSF
Old 09-09-2016, 05:24 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

This. Bridgestone Potenza s-04 pole position.
Took off my still good hankook ventus evo 2 for them.
They are beautiful and wrap my wheels so nicely it just looks astonishing.
Although the ventus evos were nice and grippy, these are just unbelievably grippy and less noise and even more comfortable. These rank literally right below the michilin pilot super sports in the tire rack from over all performance and comfort and even hydroplanning. Best tires ive ever owned and possibly will keep on buying. I highly recommend it. Only a couple hundred dollars less than the michilins pilot super sports.

Quick Reply: Tires, Tires Tires for a C6 GS???