C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:07 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Correct me if I'm wrong!

I've been doing a lot of reading and looking at used C6 convertibles online.
I've gotten quite an education, and want to verify, that I'm understanding the difference of the various options over the base model, especially the suspension!

I have a limited budget for the car(maybe I shouldn't be looking at Corvettes), and will be using the car mostly for touring.

The year range that I'm looking at is from 05>08, and my thinking is to buy either a base, or Z51, and to stay away from the F55, only because of the cost to repair and replace the shocks with oem. I like to keep my cars bone stock, and won't spend close to $5K on a car that might cost 25K!

So my question is, if I do find a great deal on a car with the Z51option, am I correct in understanding, that if I need to replace the GY high performance tires, the wheel size is the same as the base car, and I can use the less expensive tires that come on the base car?

And does the same hold true for the shocks.

I understand that if I buy a base car, I can always improve the handling by installing the Z51 sway bars, and shocks in the future?

My wife and I are retired, and my leadfoot days are over, but I still enjoy a car that has cojones, and a rag top! And it must be a 6sp.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by marinablu67
I've gotten quite an education, and want to verify, that I'm understanding the difference of the various options over the base model, especially the suspension!

I have a limited budget for the car(maybe I shouldn't be looking at Corvettes), and will be using the car mostly for touring.

The year range that I'm looking at is from 05>08, and my thinking is to buy either a base, or Z51, and to stay away from the F55, only because of the cost to repair and replace the shocks with oem. I like to keep my cars bone stock, and won't spend close to $5K on a car that might cost 25K!

While you're correct, the F55 shocks do cost a lot, they're now down in the $500 each range.

So my question is, if I do find a great deal on a car with the Z51option, am I correct in understanding, that if I need to replace the GY high performance tires, the wheel size is the same as the base car, and I can use the less expensive tires that come on the base car?

Yes, the above is correct. Plus, there are quite a few runflat and non-runflat choices for tires.

Yes, the same holds true for shocks.

I understand that if I buy a base car, I can always improve the handling by installing the Z51 sway bars, and shocks in the future?

Yes, correct.

My wife and I are retired, and my leadfoot days are over, but I still enjoy a car that has cojones, and a rag top! And it must be a 6sp.
And don't forget that there was a fairly significant change in '08 from '05-'07 Corvettes. All Corvettes started with a new engine, the LS3 and a new manual trans, the Tremec TR6060 (vs. the LS2 and the T56 manual trans in the '05-'07).

Good luck, happy hunting and come back on when you have your new car.

Last edited by AORoads; 09-12-2016 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:16 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Yes, you can place the tires with any brand. If you are looking at 05-08, they most likely will not have the OME tires on anyway.
Again, if you change the shocks on a Z51 oprioned car, you will lose the Z51 handlong to an extent.
Final, if you are buying the car for limited use and not planning any high performance driving, such as autocross or track use, I would not even worry about a Z51. The ride is a lot rougher then the base suspension. If the price is right however, and you find a car that fits your budget and has what you want with the Z51,then I would buy it.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Yes, you can place the tires with any brand. If you are looking at 05-08, they most likely will not have the OME tires on anyway.
Again, if you change the shocks on a Z51 oprioned car, you will lose the Z51 handlong to an extent.
Final, if you are buying the car for limited use and not planning any high performance driving, such as autocross or track use, I would not even worry about a Z51. The ride is a lot rougher then the base suspension. If the price is right however, and you find a car that fits your budget and has what you want with the Z51,then I would buy it.
Sage advice...you probably won't like the ride in the stiffer Z51 susp. if you really want a nice Sunday touring around car.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:46 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I wouldn't rule out a C6 with the F55 suspension if everything checks out OK at the time of purchase. The F55 (Magnetic Selective Ride) are very reliable shocks and should last the life of the car in 95-98% of cars (well over 100,000 miles I suspect). I rarely have heard of problems on the forum. (You are right though, that if they did fail they are expensive to replace, BUT you could always change to less expensive shocks [not F55] if that were to happen)

That's what I have and if your going to use it for touring, the F55 is a GREAT suspension. Rides great and you can choose 'Touring' or 'Sport' modes.

If not the F55, I would say the base suspension would be better for touring. The Z51 suspension will give you a much stiffer ride.

If you get the base or the Z51, you can always change the shocks later if you don't like the ride.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 09-12-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:51 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts

I agree with all comments above. I would add that you mention using the car primarily for touring. My interpretation of that is long tours with some spirited cajone runs here and there. Having said that, Z51 is definitely not ideal for you. I strongly suggest a 3LT equipped car, F55, '08 - in that order.

3LT is "fully" optioned with all the right stuff for touring.

F55 magnetic ride is awesome.

08 is first year for the absolutely inspiring and unbelievably venerable LS3

Good luck !
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (09-13-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

All c6 besides 05 autos are 6 speed. Did you mean you want a manual? Auto cars are still 6 speed.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:10 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Don't pass up a deal just because it has mag ride F55. The shocks are designed to last the life of the car. May not be long before they are standard equipment on all sports cars.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

My car has the Z51 option, and I am "older" (retired), but I don't really think the car rides all that rough, at least on decent roads. It's a bit bumpy over speed bumps and the like, but for highway cruising it's not objectionable. Could be that I'm just used to it.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Smitsd
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I also agree with the comments that have been made. I have an 05 convertible with the Z51 pkg. Purchased the car used with minimal knowledge of suspension issues. I like to do some cruising and touring with an occasional kick in the *** to feel that power but I really dislike the ride quality of the Z51 pkg. I know I can and probably will make some changes to improve things but my next vette will have the F55 suspension so I can do the adjusting to what I like.
Good luck on your search and try to buy the newest you can afford to take advantage of any updates made
Old 09-12-2016, 08:04 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

The OPs last line stated he's retired. I assume that means he is in my age group. I don't tour with my Z51 Vette. In fact, if I am going to take a road trip I have 3 other cars, all of which would likely be chosen for a road trip before the Vette. I love the Vette for WHY I have it...and it ain't road trips. If my Vette didn't have Z51, then it might move up from #4 to #3 or 2 for a road trip.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:26 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

In my opinion, the F55 is way better than the Z51 because you can't adjust the ride on the Z51. Good luck.

Last edited by billyboy47; 09-12-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
All c6 besides 05 autos are 6 speed. Did you mean you want a manual? Auto cars are still 6 speed.

Yes I did mean manual!

We're down to one vehicle now, a Silverado 2500HD with auto. I had to junk my last manual car a couple of years ago because of rust, a Wrangler, and really miss a stick.

Thank you all for the response!

These cars really maintain their value over the years, especially for a nice clean low mileage, 1 or 2 owner, clean Carfax!

I think the 08 3LT equipped car, with the LS3, and F55 suspension may go above my budget, especially in Florida, but miracles can happen!

I won't buy anymore cars that are in the NE, or originally were delivered from a dealer in the NE! I've lost count to the amount that I had to junk, because they wouldn't pass the NY safety inspection! Chassis, what chassis?

I know the Corvette may be different, because most owners don't take them out in the winter, but I much rather have a car that lived in the South!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
The OPs last line stated he's retired. I assume that means he is in my age group. I don't tour with my Z51 Vette. In fact, if I am going to take a road trip I have 3 other cars, all of which would likely be chosen for a road trip before the Vette. I love the Vette for WHY I have it...and it ain't road trips. If my Vette didn't have Z51, then it might move up from #4 to #3 or 2 for a road trip.

From what everyone is saying about the Z51, and not having a chance to drive one, this is why I asked about the car being modified in reverse. If I find a great car/deal, it seems just changing the tires and shocks would "improve" the ride, and not cost a fortune down the road if I didn't like the ride! Saying that, I drive a HD pickup now
Old 09-12-2016, 09:34 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

The nay sayers will chime in but don't overlook a nice '05. I put 40,000 trouble free miles on my '05, 6spd, 1SB, Z51 vert. I made several 1700 mile trips in the car and got out with the same silly smile I had when I got in.
Do your search, do your due diligence, and buy the car that best fits your budget.
In fact, check it out...
[URL="http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2005&zip=33 101&transmissionCode=MAN&maxPrice=24000& transmissionCodes=MAN&showcaseListingId= 429854213&mmt=%5BCHEV%5BCORV%5B%5D%5D%5B %5D%5D&vehicleStyleCodes=CONVERT&modelCo de1=CORV&startYear=2005&makeCode1=CHEV&s howcaseOwnerId=65843519&firstRecord=0&se archRadius=0&listingId=430897248&Log=0"]
Get the GMVIS for any Corvette you are thinking about. A GM service writer will print one for free.

Hmmm, the link doesn't look right. The car is on autotrader at Elite Autos in Port Orange, FL.

Last edited by ruxvette; 09-12-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Hmmm, try this link:
http://eliteautofla.com/14902/2005-C...te-Convertible
Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by ruxvette

It's ironic!

I saw this car this morning, and really liked it! I was looking at the description and photo saying it had 80K, but when you read the supplied Carfax, it had 147K on it.

I called him this morning and he said it was Carfax's mistake, and was going to correct it. Looking at it now, it hasn't changed, and I'm not sure about the Z51 option, even though it's listed. Isn't 1G1YY a base car?

In any event, I'm going back down next month whether I sell the house or not. If he still has it, I'll take a ride. I'm just starting to look.

Thanks for the link!

Get notified of new replies

To Correct me if I'm wrong!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:33 PM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default my two cents

i'm not yet retirement age but i'm no kid either, and i can and do appreciate comfort in my ride. i've also coveted the corvette for as long as i can remember and recently purchased my first, an '05 z51 6spd manual vert. it is what it is, and it's what i wanted. my other vehicle is a '16 tahoe lt. it's basically a luxury 4x4 that takes me hunting, tows my bass boat and generally serves as my daily driver. the tahoe can practically put you to sleep with its smooth ride and lane guidance. still, i would not hesitate to take the vette on a longer highway cruise. yes, it rides like a performance car, as it should, but i don't find it to be uncomfortable at all. that being said, if i were taking a trip that involved several days of eight hour shifts behind the wheel i'd probably go with the tahoe, but for a day trip to the beach or a long weekend 200-300 miles from home, i'd jump in the vette in a heartbeat.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:45 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...Carfax's mistake, and was going to correct it. Looking at it now, it hasn't changed, and I'm not sure about the Z51 option, even though it's listed. Isn't 1G1YY a base car?...
Carfax shows 80k miles on 6/2016, then 147k miles on 9/2016. Dash foto shows 80k.
Yes, it's a "base"...which usually means narrow body. Z51 is a performance/suspension option on the base car. It was later incorporated into the GS package in 2010.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:07 PM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default z51 or not?

It's ironic!

I saw this car this morning, and really liked it! I was looking at the description and photo saying it had 80K, but when you read the supplied Carfax, it had 147K on it.

I called him this morning and he said it was Carfax's mistake, and was going to correct it. Looking at it now, it hasn't changed, and I'm not sure about the Z51 option, even though it's listed. Isn't 1G1YY a base car?

In any event, I'm going back down next month whether I sell the house or not. If he still has it, I'll take a ride. I'm just starting to look.

Thanks for the link!
from what i've seen in another thread, nothing in the vin will identify the car as having the z51 package. that can be determined by viewing the white sticker located on the inside of the glove compartment door (usually on the left). the sticker lists a series of 3 digit codes. if one of those codes is z51, the car was delivered with the z51 package. again, i'm no expert on this but i read another thread in which a number of folks related this information.

Quick Reply: Correct me if I'm wrong!