C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC says put it in park, but it is.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 AM
renegade10
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DIC says put it in park, but it is.

This started yesterday. I put it in park but the DIC says to put it in park and horns blow when I leave the the seat. I know the transmission is in park. Any ideas as to what I'm in for before I take it to the dealership? Thanks for any advise.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Part of the shift lock control. Possible bad switch/module:

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Description and Operation

The automatic transmission shift lock control system is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:

• The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid

• The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR)

• The transmission control module (TCM)

With the ignition in the ON position, battery positive voltage is supplied to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid located within the shift lever assembly. The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid receives a ground from the RCDLR. The RCDLR receives input thought data communications from the TCM indicating transmission gear position and brake pedal position. With the shift lever in the PARK position the internal park switch of the shift lever assembly closes allowing current to flow to the RCDLR. When the RCDLR receives a data communication that the brake pedal is depressed and the transmission is in the PARK position the RCDLR supplies a ground the shift lock control solenoid control circuit. This energizes the solenoid and allows the shift lever to be moved out of the PARK position. With the shift lever out of the PARK position the internal park switch in the shift lever assemble opens, this de-energies the shift lock control solenoid.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Your car battery will drain quickly if the car thinks it's not in park after shutdown.

Does the car shift into all the gears properly, meaning reverse, drive, and neutral? If not, then I would suspect a broken bushing/grommet that is under the center console. It connects the shifter to the transmission linkage. Or it could be the bushing/grommet near the transmission side. Pretty easy DIY project. Search this forum "stuck in park", and you will see lots of posts and pictures of the repair.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 PM
renegade10
Advanced

Yes it does function normally, nothing has changed. I had the shifter cable replaced last year. I haven't driven the car for 24hrs and just went out to check and the battery is dead as you said it would be. Thanks for your input, any advise? Harry
Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by renegade10
Yes it does function normally, nothing has changed. I had the shifter cable replaced last year. I haven't driven the car for 24hrs and just went out to check and the battery is dead as you said it would be. Thanks for your input, any advise? Harry
Also, the car won't start if it thinks it's in gear. Were you able to re-start the car yesterday after this problem began?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:56 PM
renegade10
Advanced

Yes Dick it did start normally. Just before this happened I had to apply more pressure to the shifter than normal, as if it were stuck in the park position. Whatever was causing that resistance stopped after stopping for a few errands and that's when my problem started. Probably would have made the diagnosis easier had I mentioned that earlier in my post, sorry.

Last edited by renegade10; 09-21-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by renegade10
Yes Dick it did start normally. Just before this happened I had to apply more pressure to the shifter than normal, as if it were stuck in the park position. Whatever was causing that resistance stopped after stopping for a few errands and that's when my problem started. Probably would have made the diagnosis easier had I mentioned that earlier in my post, sorry.
You might have a problem with the locking tab under the shift boot. It could be jamming. It's a black piece of plastic that you could cut off, or tie it back and out of the way. If you were closer to me I would help you with it. I fixed both my locking tab problem and also replaced my shifter cable myself.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:37 PM
renegade10
Advanced

Thanks Rich I will check on that in the morning. I appreciate the advise you've given me. As it works out I had cut the stitching out of the boot on the shift lever when I was stuck with the broken cable thinking I could fix that thru the boot. Of course that didn't go well.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:43 PM
renegade10
Advanced

As it works out the guy replaced the shift assembly and cable as the guy who replaced the cable last year didn't install it right. He was fare with me but still wasn't cheap. Thanks for your input.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (10-08-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 09:56 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

I'm glad you got it fixed, and thanks for letting us know the cause of the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC says put it in park, but it is.

Quick Reply: DIC says put it in park, but it is.