C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed AVIC-8200-NEX on 2011 GrandSport

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Lemonstand
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed AVIC-8200-NEX on 2011 GrandSport

Just had the new Pioneer AVIC-8200-NEX installed on my 2011 Grand Sport. Had front and rear cameras installed too so now I can back and pull into parking spots with added comfort I won't scrape my front bumper. The front camera can also be toggled to operate anytime while driving - kind of useless but cool feature.

The 8200 Nav Maps and apple CarPlay maps are amazing. The head unit has tons of features I haven't used yet but impressed by far. Just thought I'd post some pics for those interested in a similar setup.

Sound quality is amazing and has tons of EQ features. Stayed with factory boss speakers. Bluetooth streaming equality is awesome too.

Also grounded the parking brake wire and did the system bypass so I can use all features while driving.

Cheers.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:58 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 174 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Very nice Lemonstand , I bought the 8100nex don't know what the difference in the two are. I bought mine 3 months ago and still have yet to install it lol.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:42 AM
Lemonstand
Advanced

I did some lengthy research prior to purchasing and apparently very little differences. The only things I saw or read that were newer in the 8200 1. 8200 has more features with iDataLink Maestro (I think it connects now to OBD2) and 2. The 8200 can power off? Or something about powering off the screen.

I actually purchased the 8100 online but the shop ran out of it so sent me the 8200 for the same price.

Good luck with your install !

I only have 1 regret so far. The rear camera I got from eBay for like $15. Uvks straight from china. The quality isn't exactly the best (but I've adjusted coloring and contrast within the head unit) and the camera comes default with static "guide lines". If I were to do it again I would buy a better quality and a camera that has no guide lines. That way I can use the customizable guide lines the unit offers.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 AM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Lemonstand
I did some lengthy research prior to purchasing and apparently very little differences. The only things I saw or read that were newer in the 8200 1. 8200 has more features with iDataLink Maestro (I think it connects now to OBD2) and 2. The 8200 can power off? Or something about powering off the screen.

I actually purchased the 8100 online but the shop ran out of it so sent me the 8200 for the same price.

Good luck with your install !

I only have 1 regret so far. The rear camera I got from eBay for like $15. Uvks straight from china. The quality isn't exactly the best (but I've adjusted coloring and contrast within the head unit) and the camera comes default with static "guide lines". If I were to do it again I would buy a better quality and a camera that has no guide lines. That way I can use the customizable guide lines the unit offers.
Well like you said you only paid $15 bucks, that's no money loss, just get what you really want.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:32 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,595 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Enjoy the new system and tunes.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemonstand
Just had the new Pioneer AVIC-8200-NEX installed on my 2011 Grand Sport. Had front and rear cameras installed too so now I can back and pull into parking spots with added comfort I won't scrape my front bumper. The front camera can also be toggled to operate anytime while driving - kind of useless but cool feature.

The 8200 Nav Maps and apple CarPlay maps are amazing. The head unit has tons of features I haven't used yet but impressed by far. Just thought I'd post some pics for those interested in a similar setup.

Sound quality is amazing and has tons of EQ features. Stayed with factory boss speakers. Bluetooth streaming equality is awesome too.

Also grounded the parking brake wire and did the system bypass so I can use all features while driving.

Cheers.

Looks great where did you buy the radio and front/rear camera's? Also where was the install work done?
Old 10-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Lemonstand
Advanced

Originally Posted by Get_UmJ13
Looks great where did you buy the radio and front/rear camera's? Also where was the install work done?
Radio I bought online from eBay seller DriveInAutoSound. I got lucky on landing the 8200. Highly recommend them. Even if you get the 8100, they still have a great price on that ($799 from what I recall). Front and rear camera I got from random eBay sellers for about $15 bucks each. Don't worry about it being designed as a front or rear as you can invert the image within settings so no need to spend extra $$ on that. Both came straight from china. I recommend to shop for a camera that doesn't have guide lines.

I also recommend connecting both cameras to switched power so they're always on when the car is on. As of right now my front camera is setup that way but rear only operates when powered by reverse light. Which is ok but the head unit can turn either of the cameras on at your choosing (even while driving) and since the backup camera has no power - I currently don't have that luxury.

Also so recommend to ground the parking brake wire and setting the unit to bypass safety settings. Doing both of these let's me have full functionality while driving. Just remember to do both of them and not only one. Bc initially I only had the parking brake grounded and I kept getting an annoying message about inproper wiring of the parking brake.

Best Buy did my install here in San Antonio tx. And I'm impressed with all the things they did for me. THey we're able to reuse my USB and aux jacks in the console. So it looks seamless and factory ready. No ugly USB extensions hanging out.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:16 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I paid $560 for my 8100 brand new.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:59 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 707 Likes on 407 Posts

This is a nice headunit. I just had one installed in my truck. I love the built in lifetime traffic update. I have a Kenwood in my Vette.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:18 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Looks nice. Can you add a subwoofer later? And if you can, do you need an aftermarket amplifier? Do you like not having ***** on the head unit? I've been doing a lot of research lately and I'm try to decide on the aftermaket kit to upgrade my stock head unit and go for an front/rear view visor monitor. I don't care about navigation systems, but I'm still wondering for the extra cost if I'm better off with a new head unit. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Lemonstand
Advanced

Originally Posted by CadVette
Looks nice. Can you add a subwoofer later? And if you can, do you need an aftermarket amplifier? Do you like not having ***** on the head unit? I've been doing a lot of research lately and I'm try to decide on the aftermaket kit to upgrade my stock head unit and go for an front/rear view visor monitor. I don't care about navigation systems, but I'm still wondering for the extra cost if I'm better off with a new head unit. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.
It has subwoofer pre outs and had the guy run the wires to the storage box in the back on the drivers side. I plan to get a 10" stealth enclosure later. And yes you would still need to have an amplifier. Just don't need to tap into the speakers.

ill be honest I liked having a volume ****. Maybe I'll get used to it but I can't instantly turn volume up or down with ease. I tend to look down occasionally.

I rhjnk there are some more than capable head units without navigation that'll give you front rear cameras, rca pre outs, and i think I've seen some with the volume **** too. Maybe that's your route. I prefer in dash navigation vs phone or Garmin mounted navi. This navi is more than capable too. It even has a small speedometer that tells u ur current speed and the speed limit of ur current street. Nice feature.

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
CadVette (10-07-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:34 AM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Love my Avic system. Love the auto recording of CD's and 32 gig of memory.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:40 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Good to know, car looks nice too.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:34 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Do the steering wheel controls still work with this unit?
Old 10-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Lemonstand
Advanced

Originally Posted by fknfst
Do the steering wheel controls still work with this unit?
yes.

Vol up down - retain functionality
Channel up down - retain functionality
Phone pickup - reduce audio to min level (not mute)
Phone hang up - toggle source (cycles through all sources)
1-6 button - manually increments Radio and xm channel by 1 (e.g. Radio 99.5 to 99.7 xmradio channel 40 to 41 to 42 etc.)

Side note: HUD no longers shows channel changes.

Last edited by Lemonstand; 10-09-2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Updated buttons with functions

Get notified of new replies

To Installed AVIC-8200-NEX on 2011 GrandSport

Quick Reply: Installed AVIC-8200-NEX on 2011 GrandSport