C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Headlight Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Default C6 Headlight Lenses

Mr. Tadge Juechter,

C6 headlight lenses are developing hundreds of small cracks that negatively alter the appearance and performance of the headlights. This is not simple oxidation, but cracks that cannot be polished out with the numerous DIY kits available at auto supply stores. It seems to be happening to nearly all C6 headlights. Some earlier than others depending on usage. Fixing the lenses using OEM parts requires replacement of the entire headlight housing at substantial cost.

Why do the lenses develop hundreds of small cracks in a relatively short period of time?

Is there a less costly way to restore the original appearance and performance of the lenses?

Will GM offer a better quality replacement lens that does not require replacement of the entire light housing?

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Subscribed. I have one headlight that is crazing like this, and the other one is fine........
Old 01-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

I posted this question here in the Ask Tadge forum several months ago and got crickets. If you have deteriorating headlight lenses, this is the way forward. GM is not looking back at us.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593788640
Old 01-27-2017, 11:17 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

My experience with the headlight lenses is limited. But, I'll share my experience.
My headlight lenses weren't crazing or cracking very much at all. However they were pitted.

My wife was cleaning the lower valance with some denatured alcohol. She got the can mixed up with Acetone. And she wiped my lenses down with Acetone. That instantly hazed the lenses to a milky white. Because I use acetone every day commercially, I knew I could polish the lenses to get them back to new appearance. No Sweat! lol

Well, I was able to accomplish the polishing task but it was much harder than I expected.

As I sanded the surface of the lens to remove the damaged surface, I realized there was some sort of coating on the lens. It was harder that I was used to for acrylic parts. But I did break thru the harder surface and the lens polished out nicely. The right lens wasn't damaged by acetone but I decided to sand and polish it anyway. I only sanded the harder coating and tried not to go thru it. It polished out good too. But it took a lot more time and effort.

I assume the coating is a protective layer. And I assume its probably some sort of poly carbonate.

I suppose the crazing could be under the harder surface, and that's why its not coming out under normal procedures. If it is under the harder surface, that surface can be removed by sanding. I don't know how long the new surface will look good with out the harder surface to protect it. But if the lens is ruined anyway, It's worth a try.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the OP is overstating this, big time. I think, as later posts suggest, it comes down to what has been used to clean the headlight, and the conditions the car is stored in, especially during the day. The key is keep them clean and protected. The surface of this plastic needs protection/maintenance just like the painted and other plastic surfaces on the car. Choose not to provide that protection, cleaning with appropriate products, then polishing and sealing with material appropriate products is asking for trouble.

The headlights on my 2008 C6 look as new - and I invest time on a regular basis to keep them that way.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:29 PM
sellshort
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there anyway to clean the inside of the Headlights with out taking them totally apart? I believe mine just need to be wiped on the inside. 2012 GS 3lt torch Red.. Thanks Bill
Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 PM
chevyvette1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by sellshort
Is there anyway to clean the inside of the Headlights with out taking them totally apart? I believe mine just need to be wiped on the inside. 2012 GS 3lt torch Red.. Thanks Bill

Old 02-13-2017, 11:58 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

My 2012 headlights started having flakes of plastic coming off them after about two years. Like they were delaminating. No cracks were seen. Both were replaced under warranty at 35,000 miles. Now at 55,000 miles no issues noted on this pair
Old 02-14-2017, 12:08 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Mr. Tadge Juechter,

C6 headlight lenses are developing hundreds of small cracks that negatively alter the appearance and performance of the headlights. This is not simple oxidation, but cracks that cannot be polished out with the numerous DIY kits available at auto supply stores. It seems to be happening to nearly all C6 headlights. Some earlier than others depending on usage. Fixing the lenses using OEM parts requires replacement of the entire headlight housing at substantial cost.

Why do the lenses develop hundreds of small cracks in a relatively short period of time?

Is there a less costly way to restore the original appearance and performance of the lenses?

Will GM offer a better quality replacement lens that does not require replacement of the entire light housing?

Thank you.
But wait, it gets worse! Now the headlight assemblies themselves are discontinued.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 AM
nzkiwivet
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight08
I think the OP is overstating this, big time. I think, as later posts suggest, it comes down to what has been used to clean the headlight, and the conditions the car is stored in, especially during the day. The key is keep them clean and protected. The surface of this plastic needs protection/maintenance just like the painted and other plastic surfaces on the car. Choose not to provide that protection, cleaning with appropriate products, then polishing and sealing with material appropriate products is asking for trouble.

The headlights on my 2008 C6 look as new - and I invest time on a regular basis to keep them that way.
mine have been well looked after and kept clean and covered by the original owner for the first 8 yrs of its life in NJ.I have done the same since I have owned the car.At first look the lights look clear and good,but I happened to be inspecting it by torch light one night and you can see the small flecks and crazing starting.I think it could be due to some reaction with some sort of polish or wax etc that has been used on it at some point?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Midnight08

My car has just slightly over 30K miles. It actually has been washed very little in 8 years as I rarely drive it in inclement weather and it stays beautifully clean. When I wash it I don't use the wrong cleaning products or tools. I still contend the material is not durable enough or we would not have this business starting up to supply new headlight lenses for what are still very late model cars.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:57 AM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sellshort

Another 12 GS here, slight film/haze on inside of lens. If I could just wipe with a bit of Plexus, I am thinking...
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM
avoZ28
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at a dozen corvettes before i purchased and they all had some sort of issues with the headlights whether it were tiny cracks, faded and looking old. i got lucky with mine they are actually in pretty good shape but when you turn the headlights on you can see the light exposing all the little dings from the rocks/pebbles hitting the lenses.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
My car has just slightly over 30K miles. It actually has been washed very little in 8 years as I rarely drive it in inclement weather and it stays beautifully clean. When I wash it I don't use the wrong cleaning products or tools. I still contend the material is not durable enough or we would not have this business starting up to supply new headlight lenses for what are still very late model cars.
I can respect where you are coming from, and am making no assumptions about how you, or anyone else, has taken care of their car. That said, clearly the move to plastic headlights (versus glass) has revealed many more drivers with problematic headlights, regardless of the brand. I would suggest that this is mostly a function of lack of preventative maintenance on the part of owners. Plastic headlights are going to need much more attention than glass. Simple physics. In my experience, my older truck (165K miles) is in better condition than most Corvettes I see. I figure this is simply a matter of the reality that I choose to invest more time than most to take care of the outside of my vehicles than most, whether they own a "beater" DD, or a sports car. Many wish for their vehicles to "look good," but most won't invest the time to get them there, nor the maintenance to keep them there. I would suggest this is a big part of why people like going to shows - to see how good a car can look, but assume it's not viable for a DD. In ultimate detail, that is true, but in fact DD can look amazingly good all of the time, if a person wants it to. My wife, in the middle of snow melt, slush and rain, gets comments from staff about how good her car looks, though it has over 100K miles and is driven in all conditions, not just nice days, like most of us drive our Corvettes.

Bottom line, it would be great for auto makers to produce for us a car with headlights that need no time from us to look and work at their best. Until our design expectations change, little chance of going back to glass.
The following users liked this post:
lynnt (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 03:53 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I hate GM for not backing up parts that should still be available. Including not fixing issues decades old like the harmonic balancer. It's clear they have not yet learned what makes customers satisfied after the bankruptcy. How does that C.E.O. keep her position? Union?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

There is a wealth of info here in the forums covering probably every aspect of the head lights and reasons why they are not holding up. From the best info I've got is that GM, as part of the bankruptcy/bailout, is that they [GM] would not have to supply replacement parts for these model years hence they are not available but does pave the way for people like me to lead the way for aftermarket lens and soom complete assemblies.

Last edited by RLSebring; 02-14-2017 at 05:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vcheng (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 06:16 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 218 Posts

Did they fix the issue on C7s? They appear to hold up better, but they may not be old enough yet. Just curious.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Headlight Lenses

Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RLSebring
There is a wealth of info here in the forums covering probably every aspect of the head lights and reasons why they are not holding up. From the best info I've got is that GM, as part of the bankruptcy/bailout, is that they [GM] would not have to supply replacement parts for these model years hence they are not available but does pave the way for people like me to lead the way for aftermarket lens and soom complete assemblies.
I started this thread as an "Ask Tadge" in the hope of getting some information from GM regarding C6 headlight issues. A fool's hope without doubt, but if you don't ask there is zero hope.

Do you have any insight into the durability issues with these C6 corvette headlights that you can share with the forum?

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Has anyone used REJEX on their headlights?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by 89L98
Has anyone used REJEX on their headlights?
I haven't used this, but a few other products. Key point that often is lost - products like this only protect - which is fine, except that most plastic headlights need light to heavy corrective action before applying a sealant, wax, or special coating.

I've worked on several headlights that were brought back to new looking after light to heavy correction, some looking somewhat yellowish. No sealant, wax, nor coating will improve the look of a plastic headlight - just preserve it in it's current state.

Quick Reply: C6 Headlight Lenses