C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my water pump bad? I don't know how to diagnose it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:00 AM
Malik Ahmed
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my water pump bad? I don't know how to diagnose it.

I had just changed the coolant and did a complete flush on my 06 corvette. I noticed a few drops of coolant leaking from the bottom right side near the battery. I thought it was nothing but today i was driving and white smoke started coming out of the hood. The car wasnt over heating and was at its normal temperature around 200. I look in the hood and smell coolant and the only place i see coolant is on the belts and on the right side of the engine near the water pump. I am like 80 percent sure it is the water pump but i don't know for sure. Also there is a large amount of coolant leaking even with the car turned off. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:49 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If you have coolant on the belts and water pump ,it's most likely the pump leaking. It could also possibly be one of the hoses leaking..Try putting a few sheets of paper towels under the pump over night, then check in the morning to see if, and where, the towels are wet.....WW
Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Check the level of the tank. Is it overfilled and going out the overflow?
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 08:59 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

If it's you're seeing a leak back near the battery and nothing up front, odds are it's not the water pump. It's either overflow from the recent flush/change or a hose has sprung a leak back towards the firewall (possibly a heater hose). Good luck tracking it down, as WW7 suggested, I'd start by placing a few paper towels down under the water pump at the front of the vehicle as well as a few down under the battery/firewall area on the right side over night and check them in morning.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:59 AM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If you didn't have a problem before the flush.there probably is air in the system. some thermostats have a vent hole in them to eliminate this problem some don't. Eventually it will bleed itself out.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:29 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I replaced my water pump at 30K miles due to a leaking water pump seal. I would smell coolant for the longest while, but eventually, I noticed wetness on the belts and pulleys, did a 24 hr pressure test of the system and finally saw the coolant dripping from the back of the pump pulley.
Check to make sure all your hoses are on tight where they fit to the radiator and other connections.

Good Luck
Old 10-31-2016, 05:12 PM
Malik Ahmed
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My camera sucks but this is where all the coolant is dropping from. I checked all the hoses and they all seem to be good
Old 10-31-2016, 09:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If all else fails, GM makes a dye you can add to your coolant and check with a black light. OK to leave it in long term.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my water pump bad? I don't know how to diagnose it.

Quick Reply: Is my water pump bad? I don't know how to diagnose it.