C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEALER SAYS BAD CLUSTER ..repair search?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:13 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DEALER SAYS BAD CLUSTER ..repair search?

This company D&D Instruments says they do repair c6 clusters. $249 includes shipping both ways. Website looks impressive and they have been in business for over 20 years. ...

http://ddinstruments.com/ .... any REVIEWS on this company?

Does anyone know of some other company they used to repair this model of cluster. C6 2008 part number 25802191? I have it out now and looking for any damage to the board but it looks clean.

This is what the Chevy dealer test showed: "found multiple DTC's for non communication-tracked to IPC power, ground and serial data checked good- no function."

That's all they said beside I need a new cluster.

Buying a new one is going to cost over $1000 at this dealer. Would be nice if I could replace my old cluster repaired because from what I understand all I would have to do is reinstall it and all my information and mileage would be where it left off.

BTW even though my year is not listed they told me the DO WORK on it.

Thanks for any help!
Ben

Last edited by bksnoopy; 11-16-2016 at 05:17 AM. Reason: left something out of post
Old 11-16-2016, 06:49 AM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

What exactly is the cluster doing or not doing to make it bad?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

No cracked or dull looking solder joints on the board at all?

what is not functioning? nothing at all, only one gauge, the display?
Old 11-17-2016, 05:30 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
No cracked or dull looking solder joints on the board at all?

what is not functioning? nothing at all, only one gauge, the display?
The cluster doesn't work at all. None of the gauges work. The information buttons do not work.

When you start up the car the cluster does not go through the normal gauge movements. Many of the most common things have been checked already .. grounds etc.

Note: 2008 with only 5680 miles.

IF YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO DO. You can read this condensed version leading up to this present problem. But I'm just looking for a good repair shop that does c6 clusters.

My problems started in 2008 when a battery leaked down and on the ECM. At the time I didn't know the ECM was under the battery. The dealer only changed the battery. ......from...2008-2012 I had numerous error codes and in 2012 the car just stopped running. With help from the forum I found out the ECM was under the battery and it was covered with white powder battery acid. .....Back to the dealer ... Even though I had NO warranty being it's 2012.... they said they replaced the ECM + and got me up and running at NO CHARGE. ..They knew it was their fault.. I made a mistake and trusted that they did change the ECM and went on my way ....strange error codes continued ... spring forward to early 2016 with a car that only has 5680 miles on it I started having the "cluster" problems. .... I finally got around to think about the ECM and pulled it off the car. ... Found small battery acid signs attached to one of the connectors on the ECM ... Brought that to the attention of the dealer but they said it was a "matter of opinion that the ECM was or was not changed in 2012. I said it wasn't and they said it was .. and their $400 test tells them I have a bad cluster..I paid the 400 bucks to get my car out of prison.... I Called GM ... no help after they called the dealer GM sided with them because of the age of my car. I told GM I understand about the age thing but they started my problem back in 2008 and even admitted it by changing the ECM at NO Charge in 2012 when the car was also out of warranty .... GM did the sorry we can't help very nice condescending senior rep. of GM...after all that he said ... is there anything else I can help you with....end..

This is a very condensed version. I have taped conversation and videos. It had become a matter of principle but they wore me out and all I want to do is get the cluster fixed or replaced. IMHO I was screwed over in 2008-2016 even though there is no warranty they should have fixed my problem in 2008 when it was under warranty.

I know this is too much information. But when you folks asked what is wrong with the cluster all I could do is tell you the condensed dealer vs. battery vs. owner story.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes I don't ever feel like reading over what I typed.

Thanks for any help finding a cluster repair company or it's going to cost me over a $1000 for a new cluster.

Thank you,

Ben

Special Thanks to ... LV2TOUR ... FOR ALL HIS HELP AND SUPPORT
Old 11-17-2016, 06:33 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I know these people repair clusters because they fixed one of mine in a ford truck and did an excellent job.

http://hrautoradio.com/
Old 11-17-2016, 06:54 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by pokerpro
I know these people repair clusters because they fixed one of mine in a ford truck and did an excellent job.

http://hrautoradio.com/
Thanks for the lead. I'll call them today but their website says: Corvette Cluster (1984-1989) and I have a 2008. But they may have advanced to newer models?

Ben
Old 11-17-2016, 06:56 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Sounds like you still have issues with the acid from the leaky battery that created all the previous problems.
Seeing that everything on the cluster doesn't work, I would be looking at a power source or grounding issue somewhere in the harness. Also, under the battery location are the electrical bulkhead connections that could of suffered from the spill of acid, compromising the connections of the pins inside the connectors.
Something to consider.

GL
Old 11-17-2016, 09:59 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Sounds like you still have issues with the acid from the leaky battery that created all the previous problems.
Seeing that everything on the cluster doesn't work, I would be looking at a power source or grounding issue somewhere in the harness. Also, under the battery location are the electrical bulkhead connections that could of suffered from the spill of acid, compromising the connections of the pins inside the connectors.
Something to consider.

GL
Thanks GL for your advice. I've been looking everywhere in the area where the battery acid was and went. Can't find any traces but I have been cleaning grounds. Cluster's connectors are good to ground, lights up but no way for me to check data. I agree, and it's hard for me to give up looking for something else than the cluster. I'm going to spend some more time checking continuity.

I don't know if you ever pulled some of the grounding wires off the bolts on the frame but I'm surprised how much surface paint is on the bolt and such a small cleaned area for the eye grounding connector. The surface of the bolt with paint around it tests as an insulator. Just a foot note that surprises me and makes me wonder why the paint was allowed to be there?.

I found a place called GM Parts Center and they have my cluster part number 25802191 for $306. Doesn't sound like a bad price. I'm not sure if putting a new cluster in it will have to be flashed or something by a dealer or would the computer in the car recognize the cluster and show correct information ... mileage etc? I understand it would have be finished by a dealer? .....Providing it is the cluster and there is no returns of electrical parts installed. ...... Even the dealer couldn't guarantee the new cluster could fix it and they was around $1000 to put one in.

Still going to do more checking before getting a new or have mine rebuilt.
more later
Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

It would be nice if a spare cluster was available just to plug in for testing, from a junk yard car.
I would also think that the important info like the cars mileage is hard set in the ECM.

(GL=Good Luck)
Old 11-17-2016, 01:41 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

If you need to get a used cluster try Cleveland-pic-a-part. They specialize in used late model corvettes. Just google them and give them a call.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:50 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by extrapilot
It would be nice if a spare cluster was available just to plug in for testing, from a junk yard car.
I would also think that the important info like the cars mileage is hard set in the ECM.

(GL=Good Luck)
The mileage may be stored in both the cluster and the ecm. Also it may have to be programmed for the proper transmission to work.

I don't have much experience in the C6 clusters but have worked on other model cars clusters.

I would have to assume if the cluster isn't even lighting up (backlighting) that you have no power either on the wire to the cluster or beyond the power connection on the cluster but something could have killed the voltage regulator on the board or something.

Most newer clusters will work on 5V and not the 12-14 the car puts out, so they reduce it on the board.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:05 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
The mileage may be stored in both the cluster and the ecm. Also it may have to be programmed for the proper transmission to work.

I don't have much experience in the C6 clusters but have worked on other model cars clusters.

I would have to assume if the cluster isn't even lighting up (backlighting) that you have no power either on the wire to the cluster or beyond the power connection on the cluster but something could have killed the voltage regulator on the board or something.

Most newer clusters will work on 5V and not the 12-14 the car puts out, so they reduce it on the board.

Sorry Grmlock13, I just looked at my post and I should have said the cluster DOES light up. Only the gauges, information panel and warning lights are not working.

I after spending much of the day checking just about everything I could and using all the information sent to me by (Paul .LV2TOUR) here on the forum and then some. .. thanks Paul!

I talked to Doug at www.ddinstruments.com and he said "We do our best and are successful 99.9% of the time with cluster repairs".

I decided to give D&D a chance to repair my cluster. I already spent $400 at the dealer and they told me it was a bad cluster. D&D pays postage both ways and if they can't fix it I will be responsible for $60 bench charge. That seems fair to me. Price for the Corvette cluster repair is $299 and if they need additional parts they will call me and if I decide to have them ship it back and buy a new one from the dealer, I will only be responsible for the $60 bench charge. I have that in an e-mail from Doug at D&D. Anyway I'm exhausted with this problem and need to try something. If I turn it over to the dealer it's going to cost me over a $1000 and no guarantee the new cluster would fix it either.

I tried to get GM to guarantee the cluster would fix the problem and the dealer would not be asking for more service time and parts to continue searching for this problem .... but GM could not give me that guarantee.

The service dealer has customers at the mercy of your trust!
After my ECM problem I have very little trust for this dealer.

Corvette exhausted Ben

PS. I will update this thread after I get my cluster back from repair. If successful this may be a company others might want to use. Same goes if they fail.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bksnoopy
Sorry Grmlock13, I just looked at my post and I should have said the cluster DOES light up. Only the gauges, information panel and warning lights are not working.

I after spending much of the day checking just about everything I could and using all the information sent to me by (Paul .LV2TOUR) here on the forum and then some. .. thanks Paul!

I talked to Doug at www.ddinstruments.com and he said "We do our best and are successful 99.9% of the time with cluster repairs".

I decided to give D&D a chance to repair my cluster. I already spent $400 at the dealer and they told me it was a bad cluster. D&D pays postage both ways and if they can't fix it I will be responsible for $60 bench charge. That seems fair to me. Price for the Corvette cluster repair is $299 and if they need additional parts they will call me and if I decide to have them ship it back and buy a new one from the dealer, I will only be responsible for the $60 bench charge. I have that in an e-mail from Doug at D&D. Anyway I'm exhausted with this problem and need to try something. If I turn it over to the dealer it's going to cost me over a $1000 and no guarantee the new cluster would fix it either.

I tried to get GM to guarantee the cluster would fix the problem and the dealer would not be asking for more service time and parts to continue searching for this problem .... but GM could not give me that guarantee.

The service dealer has customers at the mercy of your trust!
After my ECM problem I have very little trust for this dealer.

Corvette exhausted Ben

PS. I will update this thread after I get my cluster back from repair. If successful this may be a company others might want to use. Same goes if they fail.
OK, then it does point towards a data issue. Hope they will be successful in the repair. If it is a custom IC chip it may be difficult.

All I have to to wish you good luck that it gets fixed
Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 AM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I just checked ebay under C6 speedometer and there are a bunch for around 150 bucks.

Last edited by door2416; 11-18-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by door2416
I just checked ebay under C6 speedometer and there are a bunch for around 150 bucks.
Thanks door2416, I did look at some but you know how e-bay is.

If I can get mine fixed I think that would be better.

If D&D instruments can't fix it they will return it to me and I will have to pay them a $60 bench charge. Shipped it to them (they pay both ways) yesterday the 18th .. expect to be there the 22nd.

I'm hoping it's a power transistor, diode or something easy for them to replace.

If they are successful and IF (A BIG F) they would tell me what was bad on the board, I will share that information in this string. The back of the board is easy to view. I spent some time with a magnifying glass looking for burned or cold looking solder joints, but none could be seen. If they solder a new part in that area I'm fairly sure I would be able to see what was replaced. Might be a common problem .. or not??

Thanks for your thoughts

PLUS: GRIMLOCK13, You are right, there are at least one very busy looking chip on the board and if that is bad I'm not sure if they could get it, if this car has an embedded flash memory chip. I don't understand where all the information is stored, If on that board and that chip is bad..... I don't think GM will share that chip or information with a rebuilder. This whole thing may be just another $60 down the drain if it is a proprietary part that is bad. I guess I will have to crawl back to the dealer and throw myself on the floor at their mercy

BTW: Remember when you could strip a car down and put it on a rotisserie .. restore back to OEM specs. With just a hammer and a crescent wrench. About 12/13 years ago I restored a Boss 302 as if it were a model car. I did it all, even the paint. Still in the family and winning some car shows. My daughter and son-in-law have it now.

What I'm saying is I have a love / hate for these high tech but fantastic newer cars because most of us can't fix them ourselves. Old cars are fun to work on ...> See it here.

Thanks again, Ben

Last edited by bksnoopy; 11-20-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Got a feeling that the cluster is fine, and the problem is the wiring harnesses wires under the battery that is the problem and needs to be repaired instead.

You don't post where you live, but if you where close to me, only takes about 20 mins to pull the cluster out my vet to try in yours, to determine if the your cluster is bad to begin with (hell, could just be a loose connector not plugged all the way in on the back of the cluster). Even funner part, would only take me about another 20 mins if I had to repair your cluster if it came down to that.

Bottom line, the Vet tax can get deep if you don't know how to repair the vet yourself, and got a feeling that without someone like me to trouble shoot the problem and fix if for fee, this repair rabbit hole is going to get deep and frustrating for you instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-20-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:05 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dano523
Got a feeling that the cluster is fine, and the problem is the wiring harnesses wires under the battery that is the problem and needs to be repaired instead...
I agree. I am certainly not an expert but it sounds to me like the dead cluster is the RESULT of an issue, not THE issue. I would think the issue is around, or in, the ECM due to the acid spill.

Get notified of new replies

To DEALER SAYS BAD CLUSTER ..repair search?

Old 12-16-2016, 06:47 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Default Test Done On Cluster

Update on my cluster problem. ....Sorry about such a long post.

I sent the cluster to D&D Instruments. The service manager called me and told me that he wish he could sell me a rebuild job but they can't find anything wrong with the cluster. I could tell by our conversation he wished he could help me. He sent me by email a Corvette service bulletin No: 09-06-03-004D which was an interesting read.

This bulletin may be well known to many of you but it does cover 2011 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

You can view the svc. bulletin here on GoogleDrive.

He was going to send my cluster back to me and charge me the $60 bench charge but he offered to change my information over to a cluster he knows is a working unit in case I had some sort of intermittent problem that did not show up in their test. I said I would think about that but first I was going to call the dealer. Jeff Wyler Eastgate Auto Mall in Cincinnati, OH. I'm posting their name because what I'm telling you is true.

I called the dealer 4 times and he never called me back. After my 4th message the service manager had one of his service writers call me and he told me that they didn't care if it was checked by a repair company they would need 5 hours of dynastic test time to verify their result on top of the first 4 hours they charged me the first time. I asked him if they still think it's the cluster and if they send it out for repair and it comes back with the same problem will I have to pay for the repair? He said "YES, WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO .. YOU A FAVOR OR SOMETHING". ...... Long conversation after that and ended up there being a trust issue on their part because I told him I still don't think they changed the ECM back in 2012 because of the battery acid I found on it a few weeks ago. I tried to tell him that it's not a trust issue it's a possibility they made an error and thought they changed the ECM. ..more back and forth before conversation ended with me telling them I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The car only has 5600 on it and never had another battery acid spill.

I called D&D back and with him being an ex GM Service Manager he was shocked they talked to me that way. He said he wished he could help but the cluster checked fine for them.

Later D&D called me back told me he is willing to change my information over to the cluster that he knows works for the cost of what it would have cost to repair mine this would education them in case my cluster was having an intermittent problem. All he asked is if I would let him know if it works and keep him up-to-date as I drive and use the car. He would like to know himself if this cluster has an intermittent problem. With them having my old board they could use it to figure out what was causing the problem for future business.

You have to trust someone so I decided to let him make the changes. Spending $230 with D&D seemed like it would be worth a chance.

With the GM Dealer ....It was going to cost me at least $500 more for the GM Dealer run their diagnostics again. Not counting the 4 hours I paid already and with the $1000 for the repair having no guarantee with no refunds. They would then need to do additional chargeable diagnostics at over $100 an hour and then try something else.

More later after I get it back from D&D and plug it in.

Last edited by bksnoopy; 12-16-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

When the cluster was in your car it did not work. It never came on for a while then stopped working again. That's an intermitting problem. Sounds to me it's not the cluster!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by weathermaker
When the cluster was in your car it did not work. It never came on for a while then stopped working again. That's an intermitting problem. Sounds to me it's not the cluster!
I agree, but...I would do the same thing: Pay a couple bucks for a proven cluster.

Quick Reply: DEALER SAYS BAD CLUSTER ..repair search?