C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Shifter cable grommet

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
At both ends the grommets are retained via interference fit shoulders which makes removal and new installation a PITA when work space is constricted.
No kidding. I had to cut around the shoulder on the old grommet on the transmission end to get it out. Pushing the new one in also took quite a bit of force. It isn't an easy job when laying on your back and working upside down.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 AM
Magik
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

For you guys who did the transmission end, did you have to yank out the exhaust? I did the shifter end last year, but just tonight while backing my car out of the garage... Bam the transmission side grommet came apart. After getting under the car and finding the bad grommet/linkage, I feel there's almost no way go get my hands on it without taking apart the exhaust pipe that's blocking it.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Magik
For you guys who did the transmission end, did you have to yank out the exhaust? I did the shifter end last year, but just tonight while backing my car out of the garage... Bam the transmission side grommet came apart. After getting under the car and finding the bad grommet/linkage, I feel there's almost no way go get my hands on it without taking apart the exhaust pipe that's blocking it.
I haven't replaced my rear grommet yet but someone posted months ago that disconnecting the cat backs from the intermediate pipe and pushing the cat backs rearward will give you the space you need.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Magik
Racer

Ok. Thanks! I started loosening the clamp bolt last night, but didn't have enough time to start removing the muffler. I guess she'll have to come off.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

mine went out last sat. night shifter side@ 19k mi..a little kinda pita installing the rubber
grommet but can be done.piece of cake.will do the trans side this month after my sc install.will have to do that on my 2 post lift.FYI dorman part#14041 and 14055 for both sides and napa part#615-1422 and 615-1433.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:34 AM
Magik
Racer

Yeah, shifter side was no problem for me when I did it last year. The tranny side however is kicking my a$$. Moved enough stuff to get my fingers on it, but can't pop the grommet in as easy as I did the shifter side. The recepticle is plastic also and seems to give a lot when trying to squeeze the grommet in with the pliers.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. 😡
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Magik
Yeah, shifter side was no problem for me when I did it last year. The tranny side however is kicking my a$$. Moved enough stuff to get my fingers on it, but can't pop the grommet in as easy as I did the shifter side. The recepticle is plastic also and seems to give a lot when trying to squeeze the grommet in with the pliers.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. ��
I put some silcone spray on the new gromment, and that seemed to help get it in easier. Heating it up in hot water might also help make it more pliable. I managed to replace mine without removing the exhaust, and with the car up on a set of ramps.

This is just one more reason in a growing list of reasons why I'll never buy another GM product with an automatic transmission. In fact, I may never buy another GM product period.

Last edited by CSixDude; 06-23-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Shifter cable grommet