C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
OK. You win. Your C6 is a superior car and beats the C7 in every category.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Why? I like all generations of Corvettes and have owned almost all of them. I post in all sections. These threads are always very stupid. Not just blaming you. When the C8 comes out there will be a bunch of dumb threads like this in the C7 forum.

It just always comes off as people trying to convince each other that they don't want the latest model. It's lame.

OP, no offense meant but if you are going to ask people "what do you think" you should be willing to accept their opinions.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
The pattern I see is that a number of members are powerfully attached to the idea that the C7 is objectively "better" in every way, so much so that they accuse anyone who disagrees of rationalization.

In reality, almost everything we care about is subjective, outside a few measurable quantities no one is arguing about. Such as the LT1 is more powerful. Or the C6 is lighter.

This is what I'm talking about. You confess to hating the C7 tail lights, but two sentences later you pronounce the C7 "better in every single category PERIOD." It's weird.

Perhaps it seems unimaginable that anyone could genuinely prefer the C6, but it's true.
Tail lights fall under a "category"???

I didn't like the C6 tail lights too LOL

So there's that.

You're right looks are subjective. I mean why do people date fat girls? lol

So i guess you're implying GM went backwards with the C7 lol. At least from an innovation point of view. Cause it's starting to look like that.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:19 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
The pattern I see is that a number of members are powerfully attached to the idea that the C7 is objectively "better" in every way, so much so that they accuse anyone who disagrees of rationalization.

In reality, almost everything we care about is subjective, outside a few measurable quantities no one is arguing about. Such as the LT1 is more powerful. Or the C6 is lighter.

This is what I'm talking about. You confess to hating the C7 tail lights, but two sentences later you pronounce the C7 "better in every single category PERIOD." It's weird.

Perhaps it seems unimaginable that anyone could genuinely prefer the C6, but it's true.

Exactly.

Everyone who owns a C6 knows all about the C7 as well. Some like the C7, have the resources, and move on. Others decide, for whatever the reasons, to stay with their C6. And a few have even moved to a C7 and then back to a C6.

I have posted, that for me, I fully believe the C7 is more advanced, with more technology, better interior materials, more performance, and a huge sales success for GM . . . but I do not want one and will not buy one because of the radical styling.

I have posted that I did not like the way the C7 looks in any form and I will not buy any car, and especially a weekend toy, that I find so unattractive. Its my taste, my money, and I pick what's in my garage.

I have posted that I wish everyone with a C7 many miles of enjoyment.

And yet . . . I, and others like me keeping their C6s, have been accused of making excuses, being envious, or even not having the money to buy a C7. For me, none of that applies.

One poster has even admitted he doesn't like the looks of the C7 but bought it anyway. To me that's ridiculous. And he has been comparing his new C7Z06 to a base or GS C6, when a closer comparison would obviously be a C6 ZR1.

If new C7 owners are so joyous that for some reason they feel the need to report to all the remaining C6 owners how superior their new cars are, they can go for it.

But don't be so thin skinned when not everyone agrees. The C7, while a great package, is far from perfect. The interior is tighter. Many don't like the cylinder deactivation. Many have said the 7 speeds in the manual are unnecessary. There have been problems with engine failures, Z06 overheating, and now a bunch of torque tube failures in the A8 transmission. The paint quality on many cars is questionable. The infotainment system, which is also used on many cheaper GM vehicles, has had some issues as well. GM is now offering the Corvette motor, suspension and exhaust in the Camaro. And the Z06 motor is in a Cadillac.

My 13 GS coupe has a hand built LS3 motor, a dry sump oiling system, a 6 speed transmission, magnetic ride control, and the NPP exhaust. The 3LT gives me Bluetooth, satellite radio, keyless entry, heated seats, iPod and USB connections, HUD, GPS, Bose stereo, and memory heated seats. I find it beautiful every day I look at it.

I wish every one with a C7 happy days. I'm good just the way I am.
The following 2 users liked this post by csf:
Ahrmike (02-02-2017), COvert-red (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Which cluster you feel like today?
The options are so great.
The C6 looking back now reminds me of the C2 vs a C4. The jump is that revolutionary. Inside and out

Originally Posted by RichKiss
I'm not a big fan of the C7 nor am I a big fan of widebody. But put those two together and man do you have one mean and ferocious sexy car. Other than that, it's C6 for me.
^^^^^

carlisle 2016, my first is what sealed the deal for me. I went from a 2008 3LT F55 NPP one owner to a brand new 2016 3LZ Z06.

Couldn't be happier and I loved my LS3 C6.

it was almost as quick as friends base C7 manuals. But the advancement 10 years in technology cannot be denied. The interior design is stellar. The car feels ferrari like inside and out.

forget the hp difference, the new Z06 is a bona-fide supercar and at 20% in october? It was a no brainer.

the C6 is a great vette. The C7 is just better.

When looking at any c6 by itself it's a beautiful corvette.

but, when the C7 shows up its readily apparent that the modern and "newness" of the C6 has long since passed. Only the ZR1 or a 427 vert and a few Z06/GS color combos mostly vert in my opinion stand up when in same screen as a C7.

Anyone that says this rearend isn't sexy as hell is lying to themselves. Beauty in the eye of the beholder regardless. Its exotic and supercar-esque

C7 is such a leap to the future these cars will look current well beyond the life span of the 9yr run of the C6 due mostly because the c6 wasnt too far a depature from the C5 sans exposed headlights.

C6 are great cars but to compare to then next Gen as a "which is better?" Is silly. Each gen was a marked improvement over the one prior. There may be small things a previous gen was better at but the car as a whole has ALWAYS advanced for the better.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 01-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
dvilin (01-24-2017), Vet Interested (01-22-2017), Z0HS1CK (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:08 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I 100% agree with 16/C7Z.

No one is saying the C6 is ugly. And you'd be really dumb (excuse the choice of word) to think the technology is NOT better in the C7.

So really the argument now is just looks. And yes looks are subjective. But unless you're saying GM went backwards with the C7 in their design, really anyone with eyes and a brain will know the C7 is a more "eye catching" design. Which was probably GM's intention.

They made a design that was really over the top TO PREVENT AGING.

Look at how car manufacturers design their cars now. Very aggressive, vents, sharp corners etc etc.

That's how the C7 was made. The C6, while still beautiful doesn't fall under any of that design unless you talk about widebody C6's.

It's a better looking car.

Perfect? No way.

But ask anyone, who's not a C6 owner, or hell not a corvette owner at all which car looks better. That's the market GM was going for.

And they knocked it out of the park with the design.

Btw, a C6 owner made this thread. So insecurity began in post #1. Everyone can see that.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 01-22-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:06 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Styling, lined up side-by-side, I believe they're more similar than different.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:27 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Anyone that says this rearend isn't sexy as hell is lying to themselves.

Well it does look kind of like the front of a 1979 Trans Am, and that was a pretty cool car . . .
The following users liked this post:
Gotta-Qik-C7 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I 100% agree with 16/C7Z.
The C6, while still beautiful doesn't fall under any of that design unless you talk about widebody C6's.
Agreed! I think the Wide Body C6 Vettes hold their own against the C7.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:33 AM
racehorse
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insecurity? I said that I liked the looks of the C7 but I liked the looks of the C6 better. The rear end looks like a Camaro to me not a Corvette. My son has a 2016 Stingray and I like it but don't love it. I'm not a big person but feel cramped in the driver's seat. The C6 may have a dated look to some but the smooth lines are more appealing to me as that of a '63 Jaguar XKE. However, there is a chance that the C7 may grow on me in the future but it's been out since 2014....
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by racehorse
Insecurity? I said that I liked the looks of the C7 but I liked the looks of the C6 better. The rear end looks like a Camaro to me not a Corvette. My son has a 2016 Stingray and I like it but don't love it. I'm not a big person but feel cramped in the driver's seat. The C6 may have a dated look to some but the smooth lines are more appealing to me as that of a '63 Jaguar XKE. However, there is a chance that the C7 may grow on me in the future but it's been out since 2014....
Oh so you are mad your son is faster than u ! lol jk everyone relax, guys buy the vette they like and that's it. Who cares what gen it is, they are all vettes
The following 3 users liked this post by thegame:
ExRedRacer (01-23-2017), racehorse (01-23-2017), Z0HS1CK (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

The C7 is clearly better objectively in every way than the C6 with the possible exception of styling, which is mostly subjective, and that's fine. Styling is a huge factor on a car, so I can see you understanding that the C6 is an older, slower Corvette than the brand new cars, and still wanting a C6, which is more capable than 90%+ of the sports cars on the road today including many newer ones. And you can buy a beautiful low mileage late model C6 for half the price of a new C7, so if that floats your boat, why not?

Products evolve and change over time, hopefully for the better. That is how it's supposed to work, so why would it surprise anyone that after 10 years of rapid technological advancement and hundreds of millions of $ in GM R&D and car development - that GM came up with a better Corvette. You better hope they did after all that, WTF?

Last edited by patentcad; 01-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Suns_PSD (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad

Products evolve and change over time, hopefully for the better. That is how it's supposed to work, so why would it surprise anyone that after 10 years of rapid technological advancement and hundreds of millions of $ in GM R&D and car development - that GM came up with a better Corvette. You better hope they did after all that, WTF?
They said the same thing when the C4 first came out...
Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
They said the same thing when the C4 first came out...
In some ways the first C4 was huge advancement over the C3.

Whatever, if anybody likes the C6 more than the C7, they should drive that car. And then they can try to catch me on the track.

See ya.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
When I was in high school, the C2 was in production and everyone loved it. By the time I had a real job and money for a Corvette, the C2 had been replaced by the C3. So I studied both cars to see what I wanted. I discovered the C3 was longer, wider, and heavier. Bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside. Smaller trunk, poor visibility. And to my eye, garishly overstyled. So I thought "why the f would I buy one of those?", got a lightly used C2, and was happy.

We went through various Camaros, a C5, and now on our second C6. I was eagerly awaiting the C7. But when it came out and I compared it to the C6, I discovered it was 1968 all over again- longer, wider, and heavier. Bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside. Smaller trunk, poor visibility. And to my eye, garishly overstyled. So I keep thinking 'why the f would I buy one of those?" I've driven them a couple of times, nice but nothing special for me. I enjoy the speed and performance but the difference is too small to notice except on the track.

Yes, I'd like a new car with 0 miles and factory warranty. But so far, not enough to buy a C7.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:29 PM
racehorse
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned 3 C3s . Kept hoping they would grow on me. I liked the body style but not as much as the C2. The flip up head lights was one thing I wanted to get away from. The C6 did exactly that.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:18 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As this horse gets shredded into smithereens, I did a quick search regarding online documents that address automobile styling. I'm not sure that I've ever come across one in which a major auto manufacturer felt the need to "defend" a styling decision at the very show that introduced it. Whether or not there are other examples, it is interesting that this one seems to have garnered such an earnest effort from the man responsible:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/03/...-peters-video/

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs C7

Old 01-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
In some ways the first C4 was huge advancement over the C3.

Whatever, if anybody likes the C6 more than the C7, they should drive that car. And then they can try to catch me on the track.

See ya.
Oops, gotta throw the BS flag here. The first C4 was built as a 1983 model and we all know how that went. It was such a "huge advancement" over the C3 the Chevy decided not to introduce it for another year.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

if someone handed me a wad of cash and said c6 or c7 any trim i'd choose the viper.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:38 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by dkz
if someone handed me a wad of cash and said c6 or c7 any trim i'd choose the viper.
Then you would walk in a Dodge dealership and say where are the vipers and they would point to a discontinued sign lol

Quick Reply: C6 vs C7