C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Pull Down questions... Help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM
Donzi4me
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Hatch Pull Down questions... Help appreciated

2010 Grand Sport. Having trouble with my rear hatch opening. A few weeks ago I accidently slammed the rear hatch closing it. Not bad but harder than usual as I lost my grip coming down.
Now my hatch will not open unless I use the key in the rear bumper. I did some trouble shooting today and there is power to the actuator. When I push the hatch into the latch, the pulldown will engage and close the hatch as normal. But it will not release with the fob or the dash button. I have to manually release the hatch with the key every time. Push it shut and the pulldown engages so the motor is fine.

Question, does this still sound like something is broken inside the actuator assembly causing it to not release the hatch? Hate to throw over $350 at it only to find out that's not it... Anyone with experience on these? THX
Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 276 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

The locking mechanism is out of adjustment. There is too much pressure against the lock for it to release electrically. Try holding the fob or rear hatch button while pushing down on the lid. Would't be surprised if it released.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Donzi4me
Pro

Originally Posted by MKenM
The locking mechanism is out of adjustment. There is too much pressure against the lock for it to release electrically. Try holding the fob or rear hatch button while pushing down on the lid. Would't be surprised if it released.
Ken
Just tried it and it DID open.... However I shut it again and now I can't get it to pop open again without the key. Pushing like crazy on the rear hatch while holding the fob button. Worked the first time, but can't get it to work again... How are these adjusted?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:58 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

To my knowledge you have to remove the cover from inside the cargo area to get at the locking mechanism. The other question that I have is when the hatch is closed is it exactly flush with the fenders?

If not there are two adjustment points on the deck lid. If you run them in a little that should release some pressure.

Last edited by MKenM; 01-24-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Donzi4me
Pro

Yes the hatch is completely flush with the fenders.

I forgot to add... I have the trim off and have access to the actuator. With the hatch fully open, I push the latch with a screwdriver simulating the hatch closing and the latch pull down engages and closes. Remember the hatch is wide open at this time and nothing is in the latch. I push the fob button and nothing happens. I thought I read somewhere that the release button sends a signal to the relay and grounds it and the hatch pops open.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:22 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure about that maybe someone else will chime in. Does the hatch release work on the dash? Does your fob unlock and lock your doors? Do you have another fob? Does it work?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Donzi4me
Pro

Not sure about that maybe someone else will chime in. Does the hatch release work on the dash? Does your fob unlock and lock your doors? Do you have another fob? Does it work?
No none of the buttons (dash or rear bumper or fob) will work and open it. Leaning towards replacing the actuator mechanism. Just looking for a second opinion before I purchase.

Both fobs work great as I just replaced the batteries and operate all the doors and passive locks.

Last edited by Donzi4me; 01-24-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:28 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

To my knowledge you have to remove the cover from inside the cargo area to get at the locking mechanism. The other question that I have is when the hatch is closed is it exactly flush with the fenders?

If not there are two adjustment points on the deck lid. If you run them in a little that should release some pressure.
One side of my hatch is ever so slightly high compared to the body. Where are these adjustment points?
Old 01-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Donzi4me
Pro

Update on this problem if anyone is following or does a search.

Replaced the hatch pulldown with a new (used) unit and all works as expected. It was the hatch actuator.

Dealer wanted $500 for the part and $180 to install.
Gmparts direct was $340 + tax & shipping
Corvette salvage yard was $95 for a used one and guaranteed to work or money back. 30 day warranty. Gave it a try and it worked out,

Took all of 20 mins. to install ...
The following 3 users liked this post by Donzi4me:
1badcorvette (08-05-2021), BMF_C6 (07-23-2021), GoodDog1 (08-02-2022)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 AM
lobstah24
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetexas
Does the bumper have to come off to replace ? I have popped the inner trim off to see the bracket, but don't see how to remove it.
Read post number 5.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:33 AM
redgambler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the hatch won’t open even when pressing down on the hatch.
When I first got my car the hatch would open from 60 feet from in my house. Now you gotta be right next to the car. A couple of times in the last year or so the radio amp wouldn’t be working. A couple of times the drivers door would have a hum in the door speaker. Does the body control module control all keyless entry functions all power functions (accessories power till door open). All fob functions? I got some stuff going in and out leading me to believe I got something going with the key functions and the fob functions. Sorry so long. PS also a battery drain.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:01 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by redgambler
Well the hatch won’t open even when pressing down on the hatch.
When I first got my car the hatch would open from 60 feet from in my house. Now you gotta be right next to the car. A couple of times in the last year or so the radio amp wouldn’t be working. A couple of times the drivers door would have a hum in the door speaker. Does the body control module control all keyless entry functions all power functions (accessories power till door open). All fob functions? I got some stuff going in and out leading me to believe I got something going with the key functions and the fob functions. Sorry so long. PS also a battery drain.
Maybe the fob needs a new battery. Be sure to buy it from some place that sells lots of them like Walmart. Car battery is also suspect.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:33 AM
redgambler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just changed car batteries and fob batteries I will change them again. I did a voltage test on the fob battery before I put it in and the battery in the car is a new red top optima.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:20 PM
sep1234
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This started happening on my 2019 Z06 the very first winter. Before I go ripping this apart, have any of you found a good solution? Is there an adjustment, or perhaps is a stronger spring needed? I see comments back and forth but no conclusion.

Thank you all,
Jamie

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Pull Down questions... Help appreciated

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Pull Down questions... Help appreciated