C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Goes Bad & Battery Is Dead-Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:08 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Battery Tender Goes Bad & Battery Is Dead-Need Advice

As the title says, my several year old battery tender went bad and ran the 4 year old Delco battery to completely dead. I just got a new tender and the battery has charged up to full.

I've heard in the past once a battery is completely drained, problems may happen soon with the battery.

Given the fact the Delco is 4 years old, do YOU replaced it or get a little more use out of what you have? Thanks as always.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

If the battery went completely dead, then it will likely not last very long, especially with the high amperage needed to start a C6.
At 4 years, I personally would get a new battery, for the minimal cost of a new one.
As you know, the C6 is very dependent on a full charged battery due to all the electrical demands and systems.
How many electrical gremlin threads have we seen on this forum that was caused by a weak battery.

Chances are, the lead corrosion on the plates have dislodged due to the total discharge and re-charge of your battery, and all that crud is now sitting at the bottom of the battery, just waiting to make contact with a cell plate, and short it out.

There are plenty of articles on what happens to a dischaged battery on the web. Google away and make your own call.

Out of curiosity, what brand was the Battery Tender.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TexasMadMan (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:34 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I think a new battery is the best option. Just wanted a little push.
To answer, I have been using the Battery Tender Junior.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:38 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
If the battery went completely dead, then it will likely not last very long, especially with the high amperage needed to start a C6.
At 4 years, I personally would get a new battery, for the minimal cost of a new one.
As you know, the C6 is very dependent on a full charged battery due to all the electrical demands and systems.
How many electrical gremlin threads have we seen on this forum that was caused by a weak battery.

Chances are, the lead corrosion on the plates have dislodged due to the total discharge and re-charge of your battery, and all that crud is now sitting at the bottom of the battery, just waiting to make contact with a cell plate, and short it out.

There are plenty of articles on what happens to a dischaged battery on the web. Google away and make your own call.

Out of curiosity, what brand was the Battery Tender.
Absolutely agree.....no way a 4yr old battery is going to comeback!

TexasMadMan (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by blittle
Absolutely agree.....no way a 4yr old battery is going to comeback!

Old 02-09-2017, 06:15 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Thanks for the quick reply. I think a new battery is the best option. Just wanted a little push.
To answer, I have been using the Battery Tender Junior.
Thank You. I have been using the Deltran Battery Tender Plus since 2009, and it's been a beast.
The Jr. has a 5 year warranty, so you can get a new one, or update to the Plus for a bit more amperage.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-09-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:27 AM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Thank You. I have been using the Deltran Battery Tender Plus since 2009, and it's been a beast.
The Jr. has a 5 year warranty, so you can get a new one, or update to the Plus for a bit more amperage.
The new units are crap. Their warranty costs more than just replacing it when you read the details. I had the same thing happen with x2 Battery Tenders and I threw the other x3 I had away (multiple motorcycles). Never again will I buy their junk.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

One of the joys of C6 ownership is becoming literate about lead-acid batteries.

As a rule-of-thumb, each total discharge of a conventional battery results in a loss of about 10% of its capacity when recharged. When added to the deterioration during a "normal" lifetime, a total discharge after four years can easily be the last straw.

If you store your C6 during the winter, the battery will be vulnerable to total discharge if you lose electrical power for an extended period (and don't have a standby generator) or if your tender fails as yours did. To avoid this problem you could replace your battery with a marine-type designed for deep discharge such as the Optima Yellow Top. They are a bit pricey. Mine cost $230 at O'Reilly.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:46 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I have gone 12+ years on my original 6 year warrantied AC Delco battery on 2005. It starts fine but I'll likely replace it with the same AC Delco it came with which is now a AC Delco Silver 30 month battery with 590 CCA or perhaps I should go with the Gold AC Delco 650 CCA 42 month battery?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Any electronic device can go bad...rare but certainly possible. Buy another and move on. At 4 years, you might as well just get a new battery also, although there's no huge hurry...doesn't need to be tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:40 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Talked to Deltran about a similar issue. They said 10 years is about the life span of their Battery Tender Plus. They also said that once a battery goes completely dead, you should replace it due to the potential of at least one dead cell.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:22 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have used the battery tender plus for many years in the Vette and a newer tender for my Lexus. So far no
Issues. These cars are on the tender most of the time

Last edited by enventr; 02-10-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

School me - other than failing to charge the battery, how does a battery tender that goes bad drain the battery it was tending?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
School me - other than failing to charge the battery, how does a battery tender that goes bad drain the battery it was tending?
I think the battery just naturally was discharged by the car...with no tender to keep the voltage up.
dpigguy (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:39 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the battery was on it's way out ,I would change also as was said the tender did not kill the battery it just quit working. IMO I know some guy's do use the jr tender on there cars but I think it's a little to small for a car ,I use a jr on my zero turn mower battery ,as I said JMO.
dpigguy (02-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender Goes Bad & Battery Is Dead-Need Advice

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Goes Bad & Battery Is Dead-Need Advice