C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

and a great, big ** goes to ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Default and a great, big FARK YOU goes to ...

... the arsehat that let this 60lb brace fall of his truck in I-59 in New Caney, Texas and didn't go back and at least clear it to the shoulder.

An 18-wheeler in front of me obscured this from view until I was right up on it and had no choice due to traffic limitations but to "Gravedigger" right over it. I managed to almost miss it but caught it with the outer edge of my LF wheel, resulting in 2" cut in sidewall and a nice ding in my ZR1 chrome wheel. No damage to rockers or rear wheel/tire since I was able to catch it an angle.

Unfortunately, even though I have road hazard insurance on my tires it doesn't do much good when the tires are no longer available trough standard channels. Yes, the Continental ExtremeContact DW (in ZR1 sizes) that I purchased in May of 2015 have been discontinued and there is ZERO inventory available in the US. After spending more than 2 hours Monday on the phone with every tire distributor on the planet I decided to throw a Hail Mary and contact Continental North America direct. The CSR in Customer Service confirmed that the ExtremeContact DW had been discontinued late last year because they have released a new version (slightly different tread pattern unfortunately) but that the new version is on national back order. After he had confirmed that there was no on-hand availability for any of their world-wide distributors he offered to ship me a replacement ExtremeContac DW tire to Discount Tire from inventory that the manufacturer maintains for emergency allocation (not available to dealers/distributors). Even shipped it to my local Discount store 2-day ground at no charge.

While I still take issue with a manufacturer discontinuing a series of tire without having sufficient inventory of its replacement available to service demand I can't argue with the high level of customer support I received from Continental to get me back on the road.

Now if I could just find a replacement ZR1 front wheel without having to hand $701 (discounted off $935 list price) to a dealer. Before anyone chimes in with the suggestion to contact House of Wheels I checked with Bob and he only has BLEM's and new OEM wheels that have been re-chromed which means the barrels are not OEM silver paint.

So if anyone has a line on a clean ZR1 front chrome wheel please let me know.

Last edited by RC4G; 02-14-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

It's a mud flap bracket, and there's no way a driver could have known it had fallen off.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:10 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

That sucks!!! but glad it wasn't any worse.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
That sucks!!! but glad it wasn't any worse.
^This. That could have done some real damage.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:40 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
It's a mud flap bracket, and there's no way a driver could have known it had fallen off.

Good luck!
I call BS on that.

This frame didn't come unbolted, it was ripped away from where it was welded to the frame mount point. Its not going to quietly come loose.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:27 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

A quick search on ebay and the web found a few OEM chrome ZR1 wheels for $500 or less.

https://midwestwheelandtire.com/prod...lloy-wheel-rim
Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Nice find NGS!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Besides google, craig's and ebay, why not ADVERTISE in C6Parts Wanted? And if that part was at the very backend of the truck (it does look like some kind of undercarriage/car-prevention submarine piece) at 53 foot long trailer, I could see a driver not hearing it fall off.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by RC4G
... the arsehat that let this 60lb brace fall of his truck in I-59 in New Caney, Texas and didn't go back and at least clear it to the shoulder.

An 18-wheeler in front of me obscured this from view until I was right up on it and had no choice due to traffic limitations but to "Gravedigger" right over it. I managed to almost miss it but caught it with the outer edge of my LF wheel, resulting in 2" cut in sidewall and a nice ding in my ZR1 chrome wheel. No damage to rockers or rear wheel/tire since I was able to catch it an angle.

That sucks. Could've been much worse had you not reacted in time. Glad I was headed south on 59 this morning.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:48 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I feel for you, as I don't like thinking about road hazards damaging my vehicles.

I do however, keep an extreme distance away from all other vehicles. This is a habit I picked up riding my motorcycle, and a bit of advice my father gave me.

"Ride for space, not for time."

With that being said, it's really a shame to see your loss and I just learned that one can purchase "Wheel & Tire Road Hazard Protection."

I don't have any personal experience with this sort of insurance, however I think the coverage can be purchased at any time by anybody and for something like $500 - you get a few years of coverage. 1 Incident like this one you just had which may now cost you $700, might have paid for itself.

Insurance is just one of those things, you have to pay for but hope you never need to use.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sad but there's lots of crap lying out on the road.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:23 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Pretty much all of drive keeping far enough behind someone that we can stop as quickly as they can, and not hit them. But, that is not enough cushion for an object lying in the road.
In particular, it is not a good idea to EVER follow in the same lane as a large truck or RV, simply because you can't see ahead, and THEY will straddle a dangerous object, rather than go around it. Of course, on a two-lane, you have no choice.

it sucks, man...just glad you are okay
Old 02-14-2017, 09:24 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Looks like an assembly from a T1000 Terminator Battle Chassis.

He'll be back for it.

I drove through a highway construction zone in my other vehicle one night and got a piece of metal like a large railroad spike through my tire. It ripped my tire to shreds. The tire got so hot once I pulled over, I couldn't touch it for over ten minutes to put on the spare.

I drove back through the construction zone to complain and hold someone responsible, but they denied the metal was theirs.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
A quick search on ebay and the web found a few OEM chrome ZR1 wheels for $500 or less.

https://midwestwheelandtire.com/prod...lloy-wheel-rim
Thanks for the link but that is for a "reconditioned" wheel, not new. If they have re-chromed it then I would rather buy a brand new, rechromed wheel from Bob at House of Wheels than risk a wheel that has been straightened/rechromed.

Definitely worth a phone call though to better understand their definition of "reconditioned".

Last edited by RC4G; 02-16-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ForceFedC4
I feel for you, as I don't like thinking about road hazards damaging my vehicles.

I do however, keep an extreme distance away from all other vehicles. This is a habit I picked up riding my motorcycle, and a bit of advice my father gave me.

"Ride for space, not for time."

With that being said, it's really a shame to see your loss and I just learned that one can purchase "Wheel & Tire Road Hazard Protection."

I don't have any personal experience with this sort of insurance, however I think the coverage can be purchased at any time by anybody and for something like $500 - you get a few years of coverage. 1 Incident like this one you just had which may now cost you $700, might have paid for itself.

Insurance is just one of those things, you have to pay for but hope you never need to use.
I hear you (I own several street motorcycles, too). I too try not to follow behind large rigs but this was just a case of me accelerating in the left most lane around traffic and came up a little quick on the 18-wheeler.

Last edited by RC4G; 02-16-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:52 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
Besides google, craig's and ebay, why not ADVERTISE in C6Parts Wanted?...
Have had an ad there since the day it happened with daily bumps to keep it in current view.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:57 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flash_08CRMVert
That sucks. Could've been much worse had you not reacted in time. Glad I was headed south on 59 this morning.
Was in the southbound left lane just passed the 1485 overpass.

We just bought a house in Northcrest Ranch (242 and I-59) but I'm still bouncing back and forth to our old house in SandCreek (Kingwood) while we get it ready to put up for sale.

Get notified of new replies

To and a great, big ** goes to ...

Old 02-16-2017, 01:32 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Damn that stinks.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

That stinks. It does look like a mudflap bracket. So many of those are smashed into loading docks etc. and they sometimes are barely hanging on. He probably never knew it came off until he stopped.

I just went through a bent rim episode myself. Getting my wheel fixed didn't pan out and reconditioned wheels were all a bust for me. None of them came back round. Ended up getting a new wheel from GM. The wheel and tire insurance was well worth it in my case. I hope you get rolling again soon.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

I know a lot of people don't like making claims on their auto policy, but that's what it's for. Check your Comprehensive physical damage coverage, it should cover damages from road debris.

They'd probably pay for a new tire and wheel. So for $250 you get a new wheel and tire. (once they come in). Or think of it as buying a new tire and getting the wheel for free.

I had a wheel damaged, and the insurance gave me the cash for the wheel and tire. I even got to keep the old wheel and tire. You could keep the bent wheel as a spare.

Last edited by jbc1995fb; 02-16-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: and a great, big ** goes to ...