C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honeymoon is over- Mag Ride Shocks failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Evander Holyfield
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Agreed. For a 5 year old car, they're really not even that dirty...
Old 02-19-2017, 08:08 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

As a comparison, these were mine on an approx. 6000 mile 2013 ZR1.

The following users liked this post:
Evander Holyfield (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Evander Holyfield
Racer

Thanks for the comparison- I assume yours have zero issues?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:06 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Evander Holyfield
Thanks for the comparison- I assume yours have zero issues?
No issues at the time. But, since I was still within the 3/36 month warranty I replaced all 4 of them. I had the car in the air while I was doing other work at the time so just I popped them out & put the new ones in last year. If it was out of warranty, I would have just wiped them off.
Evander Holyfield (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

So I crawled up under the rear wheels (don't currently have a lift or convenient access to one) and took some photos of the rear shocks, which were "allegedly" the worst ones- per Huffines Plano Chevy. I'm thinking they are full of s***.

While both shocks were somewhat dirty, they were bone dry. I used both tour and sport modes yesterday evening. Again, zero issues in feel- the car drives smooth and responsive in both tour and sport modes, no harshness to suggest any shock failure. Still way smoother than my 2008 Corvette ever was.

There was a small amount of brown residue under the driver's side rear shock, on the metal (photo enclosed). It appeared to be dry for a long period of time; no telling what the substance is. Maybe this was what the dealer was alluding to. Passenger rear shock and metal both clear.

Driver Rear Shock Photo 1. Small amount of brown-ish residue (dry) on metal beneath shock.

Driver Rear Shock Photo 2

Passenger Rear Shock Photo 1

Passenger Rear Shock Photo 2

gawwddd ... the bottom of that car looks nearly new. You can actually read the labels on the shocks, nothing wet. That brown material is a substance scientifically known as "dirt".

I think we know a Chevy store that should be avoided at every opportunity. They were too lazy to spray ATF on those shocks to even sell their fraud.

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LowRyter:
Evander Holyfield (02-19-2017), LS WON (03-09-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Good for you! Forget that dealer, move on and enjoy that beauty!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:47 PM
Evander Holyfield
Racer

Originally Posted by LowRyter
being from DFW area, I am guessing you might know the reputation of this dealer?
Not really. I took my '08 Corvette there maybe twice for oil changes, and they never messed it up. That's the extent of my knowledge.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Not really. I took my '08 Corvette there maybe twice for oil changes, and they never messed it up. That's the extent of my knowledge.
I did a double take and remembered you were the OP. That's why I deleted that post that you quoted.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

so if shocks are leaking wouldn't that affect the dampening ability of the shock? I don't understand how GM can say a little leakage is ok but a little more is bad. To me, if they're leaking, they're leaking.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Evander Holyfield
Racer

Originally Posted by Jughead
so if shocks are leaking wouldn't that affect the dampening ability of the shock? I don't understand how GM can say a little leakage is ok but a little more is bad. To me, if they're leaking, they're leaking.
I don't think mine are leaking at all, so it may be a moot point. The TSB that another member posted talks about being within "spec". So a little seepage may be OK.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Come to think of it, I'm going to add a new semi-annual task to my checklist when I put Red up on my Bendpak BL-5000 lift. It raises the car to just exactly the right height to allow these old bones to polish the chrome wheels and also to swap winter & summer wheel & tire sets. Whenever the wheels come off, I'm grabbing a cleaning rag for the F55 shocks.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow, talk about a swindling dealer. Those shocks have nothing more than road grime and wear on them. I don't see any "seeping" or otherwise noted "wetness" that they were talking about.

Furthermore, to assume that all 4 corner's shocks had failed at the same time on a 5000 miles car is beyond believable for practically anyone.

Wipe them off and drive. If a code pops up, address it one at a time. Until then, you're still trouble free man.

Congrats on the new car again!
Evander Holyfield (02-20-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:13 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an F55 shock fail on my 2008 coupe at about 32K and you could hear and feel it over even minor road surface problems. The right front corner started "pounding" and you could feel it through the whole car! The local dealer checked all 4 corners of the suspension and noted that there was "some seepage" at all 4 shocks, but that was normal based on their tech's experience. I bought a used front F55 shock from a CF member and had them install it; the pounding immediately disappeared and all has been fine since. Based on my experience, if you have an F55 shock fail you will definitely know it and they all appear to weep a little fluid over time......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Evander Holyfield (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

"Weeping" or "sweating" is what describes those shocks. Wipe them down and get them cleaned up and then check them in a few months...my bet is that they will be just fine.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
gawwddd ... the bottom of that car looks nearly new. You can actually read the labels on the shocks, nothing wet. That brown material is a substance scientifically known as "dirt".

I think we know a Chevy store that should be avoided at every opportunity. They were too lazy to spray ATF on those shocks to even sell their fraud.

Last edited by LS WON; 03-09-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Well, it hasn't even been 24 hours since I posted about my absolute elation and excitement regarding my new Corvette purchase here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-sport.html

Fast forward to today, when I went to take the Corvette to get an oil change. The oil change went fine, as scheduled. Mobile 1, dry sump, etc.

The service technician at Huffines (Plano, TX Chevy dealer) came out and says that they completed a 32-point inspection, and "both your front and both your rear shocks are leaking." The quote for replacement for all four shocks plus an alignment: $4,896.95.

Huffines Plano quote to replace 4 mag ride shocks

I said- the car only has 5,900mi on it (800 of which were all smooth Interstate miles from a couple weeks ago to drive it home). How on earth could the mag ride shocks be failing?

The service tech said maybe it didn't get driven enough and the gaskets or seals failed resulting in a leak. He confirmed the original factory warranty expired October of 2015. I said 5,900mi shocks should not be failing- is there anything GM/Chevy can do? He said the only time he was aware of GM/Chevy customer relations helping out is on original owner vehicles. I'm owner #3.

I've read a few different forum posts on failed mag ride shocks, so I'm hoping all four don't actually need to be replaced. There has been zero leaks/puddles in my garage where the car is housed. The ride certainly doesn't seem bad (I've owned an '08 Corvette, and this one rides WAY better). Unfortunately there is no warranty (and GMPP doesn't cover shocks any way even if there was), so I need to figure out a solution. What a crushing blow to be hit with an estimate that is well over 10% of the purchase price of the vehicle without even owning it for a month.

The car is visibly immaculate. It was hardly driven, and clearly always garaged. I highly doubt it has ever seen precipitation- you could eat off the engine bay, it's really that clean.

Hopefully everyone else's day is better- I just needed to vent. Suggestions welcome.

Edit- Photos of rear shocks added to page 3 of thread.
I'm a retired mechanic from 47 years in the repair industry. Since I wasn't sure of what I wanted to be when I grew up I tried several areas starting out Heavy Duty on Caterpillar Machinery then went Motor Transport working at a Navistar Truck Dealer which led to an opening in the Truck Shop of a large Ford Dealership where I was eventually invited to work on the automotive side. Due to what I saw going on around me on a daily basis I left disgusted and went back to Heavy Duty where I finished my out my working career.

If I can offer a word of advice to anyone who is dependent on someone else's opinions, diagnosis and honesty then establish a relationship with an independent garage and preferably one that specializes in your type of vehicle.

The things that I witnessed first hand at a "Stealership" are far too numerous to list here but let me make a few points one being the "system" is set up to make money and as much of it as possible not to help you or do you a favor. Up-selling work that isn't necessary is a common practice. I also saw brand new, still in box parts, stashed in mechanics tool boxes that someone paid for but were never installed. That also means someone was charged the labor for installing them and the mechanic was paid for something he didn't do (they have to make the payments on those $50,000 Snap-On tools they are in hock for somehow).

My last straw happened one night while I was working the afternoon shift. One of my co-workers was assigned a head gasket job that had a flat rate time allotment of 8 hours. 3 hours later he was done, got paid his 8 hours "flat rate time" and went to a friends stag party. I walked over to the bay he was working in after he left and found a brand new head gasket deliberately torn up and smeared with dirty engine oil in an attempt to make it look used. I came in the next day and gave my notice and went back to working on machinery.

Good luck with any dealings you might have with a dealership. If you find a good and honest one stick with them.
The following 6 users liked this post by Icecap:
c5arlen (04-26-2017), Corvette_Ed (03-10-2017), HOXXOH (03-10-2017), johnusa (04-06-2017), joliett (10-22-2017), tikiman (04-02-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Icecap
I'm a retired mechanic from 47 years in the repair industry. Since I wasn't sure of what I wanted to be when I grew up I tried several areas starting out Heavy Duty on Caterpillar Machinery then went Motor Transport working at a Navistar Truck Dealer which led to an opening in the Truck Shop of a large Ford Dealership where I was eventually invited to work on the automotive side. Due to what I saw going on around me on a daily basis I left disgusted and went back to Heavy Duty where I finished my out my working career.

If I can offer a word of advice to anyone who is dependent on someone else's opinions, diagnosis and honesty then establish a relationship with an independent garage and preferably one that specializes in your type of vehicle.

The things that I witnessed first hand at a "Stealership" are far too numerous to list here but let me make a few points one being the "system" is set up to make money and as much of it as possible not to help you or do you a favor. Up-selling work that isn't necessary is a common practice. I also saw brand new, still in box parts, stashed in mechanics tool boxes that someone paid for but were never installed. That also means someone was charged the labor for installing them and the mechanic was paid for something he didn't do (they have to make the payments on those $50,000 Snap-On tools they are in hock for somehow).

My last straw happened one night while I was working the afternoon shift. One of my co-workers was assigned a head gasket job that had a flat rate time allotment of 8 hours. 3 hours later he was done, got paid his 8 hours "flat rate time" and went to a friends stag party. I walked over to the bay he was working in after he left and found a brand new head gasket deliberately torn up and smeared with dirty engine oil in an attempt to make it look used. I came in the next day and gave my notice and went back to working on machinery.

Good luck with any dealings you might have with a dealership. If you find a good and honest one stick with them.
Thanks for confirming what many of us have seen from our side of the fence, so others will believe us when we give warnings to the uninitiated.

Get notified of new replies

To Honeymoon is over- Mag Ride Shocks failure

Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Get a 2nd opinon, I did!!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

this is why I recommend my local garage to all because of genuine honesty in repairs to our cars. Burd's auto bays in Steamwood,il Vette -Audi - trans am - honda - toyota.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 PM
easyrider7467
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I have the Magnetic ride too. I had my PPI done by a Dealer he said "your Shocks are leaking and need to be changed"

I said; "really?" "thanks what do I owe you for the PPI?" That was 3 years ago, I own a 2008.

I agree with just drive the car. I understand some minor leaking is normal. I Clean my shocks beneath the boots about twice a year, and I can tell you that it is very minor the leaking, very minor if any at times.
Elkwood (04-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Honeymoon is over- Mag Ride Shocks failure