C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 fuse box relay position

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Kancho
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 fuse box relay position

Greetings, We are trying to find out the (EXACT) way the relays are to be placed in the fuse box. Almost all of them can be placed one of two ways. I have been told that it does not matter but this makes no sense. It also doesn't matter if i get photos from several friends as they all are different. surely there must be a factory version or way that the relays are first fitted? I have found this schematic but its of a C5 where it basically shows all the correct position and what i would think would be BATT = MAIN POWER. Is there anything like this for a C6 fuse box relay positioning around? Thanks, Paul

This is the C5 Schematic that i think if we can find the same for C6 that it would answer my question or show exactly which way the relays need to be inserted.

If you look here you can see the same relay numbers but facing diferent ways.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Kancho
Almost all of them can be placed one of two ways. I have been told that it does not matter but this makes no sense.
There's no diode in parallel with the coil and the plastic housing is ungrounded, so the 4-pin relays are reversible.

The coil is wired across diagonally opposite pins, as is the switched circuit. So if you flip the relay 180°, the same circuits are connected to the same pair of pins, just the other way around.

The black relays have NO and NC circuits so they have 5 pins, and only go in one way.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The regular relays are reversible...as long as you put them in the correct socket, not only does it not matter which way, but there is no 'correct way'...they are just put in the socket. If i were you, I would just put them in so that they all have the writing facing the same way. Mine have never been touched since the factory and they are all random.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Kancho
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Please see the links below. My problem is exactly the same. And now that we know that it does not matter which way the relays gets inserted and seem as though we have already swapped the starter relay twice, it cant be a relay issue. The first link shows what happens to the car. the second link, please scroll down in the forum page till you get a round GM badge as part of the post which seems to be a GM NOtification to something related to this issue. Please read through and after seeing the video if anyone has experienced anything like this and had it resolved i would gratefully appreciate advice.

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiast...ing-sometimes/
Old 02-19-2017, 01:26 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Hi. Please see the links below. My problem is exactly the same.
Replace the battery and check the battery cables.

The zillion spurious warning messages happen when the voltage drops.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Replace the battery and check the battery cables.

The zillion spurious warning messages happen when the voltage drops.
I agree...all of those can be seen in that picture of the gauge cluster. Low battery voltage or bad connections at the battery and/or starter solenoid.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:55 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi, i know the post was a long time ago but do you still have the 23 steps (3 pages) you referred to in this post?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-battery.html

if so can you please email it to xxx thank you

But clearly from the video and as said above, your issue is simply a dead/bad battery or cables.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 fuse box relay position

Quick Reply: C6 fuse box relay position