C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ques about updating nav disks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Old Man in a C
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm going to go against the grain here and say you can't polish a turd. My 2012 navigation is just that.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Man in a C
I'm going to go against the grain here and say you can't polish a turd. My 2012 navigation is just that.
I am going to step out on a limb here also....

Does it get you from point a to point b ?

Does intergrate well with all the other systems in the car ?

Does it display on the HUD ? I love the chime sound when i have to turn

Does it need some fancy interface to make the wheel controls work and other things that are tied to the radio ??

Does it look like a factory installed radio? i dont like the looks of aftermarket stuff

Does the head unit sound good when you add aftermarket amps and speakers ? ( something you would have to do anyway with a aftermarket head unit right )

I personally dont need graphics that look like the latest from a PS4 game ... i dont need to watch a DVD .... and if i want pandora or anything else i can use my USB port or aux jack

Do the graphics suck ... hell yes the darn thing was designed back in 2004 ..back when only a few cars had navigation and for its time it was one of the best but since when do you need Playstation graphics to get you where you are going?

And anyone complaining about how hard it is to use , read the manual ........

I will take my factory nav over aftermarket .....

Just my opinion

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 03-04-2017 at 08:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
4SUMERZ (03-05-2017), owc6 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole

Does it need some fancy interface to make the wheel controls work and other things that are tied to the radio ??

Does it look like a factory installed radio? i dont like the looks of aftermarket stuff

Does the head unit sound good when you add aftermarket amps and speakers ? ( something you would have to do anyway with a aftermarket head unit right )

I personally dont need graphics that look like the latest from a PS4 game ... i dont need to watch a DVD .... and if i want pandora or anything else i can use my USB port or aux jack

Do the graphics suck ... hell yes the darn thing was designed back in 2004 ..back when only a few cars had navigation and for its time it was one of the best but since when do you need Playstation graphics to get you where you are going?

Just my opinion

Dave
My opinion as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by EVRose:
4SUMERZ (03-05-2017), Dcasole (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 04:56 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevjud
Anyone ever purchase from this site? It states some disks are new, others are used but they have been tested.

http://www.carsnavigation.com/tag/part-number-23286274/
I bought mine from this site. I didn't realize that the disk were coming from overseas though. I just checked to make sure it was a legit website using SSL encryption. After ordering, I received an email stating they ran out of product in Canada, and that it would be shipped from a different distribution center. It took about 4-5 weeks to get it, and I was surprised that the package had come through customs from Bosnia.

It works just fine.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:14 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Man in a C
It is not as easy to use as a Garmin but is far more capable with far more options including the ability to review and choose from 3 different route options. I also like not having to mount a GPS unit and then remove it every time I stop.

The ability to see the next turn info when you are in heavy traffic in a city like LA or Phoenix in the Heads Up windshield display is invaluable and would not give that up for anything. Between my vette navigation and my smartphone I found i hadn't used my Garmin 3790LMT in over 6 months so I sold it.

Last edited by RJRSW; 03-04-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Just my opinion

Dave
The only advantage the stock nav has over my Pioneer 8200 is the HUD interface. The 8200 does everything else plus it looks better with 7" high res screen, sounds better, has numerous additional features (Apple CarPlay, HD radio, backup camera, Bluetooth) and it doesn't require $179 updates.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'd miss the HUD integration for sure.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jimnc
The only advantage the stock nav has over my Pioneer 8200 is the HUD interface. The 8200 does everything else plus it looks better with 7" high res screen, sounds better, has numerous additional features (Apple CarPlay, HD radio, backup camera, Bluetooth) and it doesn't require $179 updates.
Ur entitled to your opinion and i mine ...
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RJRSW
It is not as easy to use as a Garmin but is far more capable with far more options including the ability to review and choose from 3 different route options. I also like not having to mount a GPS unit and then remove it every time I stop.

The ability to see the next turn info when you are in heavy traffic in a city like LA or Phoenix in the Heads Up windshield display is invaluable and would not give that up for anything. Between my vette navigation and my smartphone I found i hadn't used my Garmin 3790LMT in over 6 months so I sold it.
with it all

Turn by turn is invaluable
Old 03-05-2017, 03:19 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I updated to each new DVD since 2008, and on version 9, a newly constructed highway near my hometown, that was completed in 2013 was not on the map.
On version 10-2016 update, this new highway was on the DVD.
So, it is best to get the latest version. I would say that any highway or road finished in late 2014 would be on the latest version 10 (2016).
The POI's have also added many new hotel and restaurant brands that were not on the previous versions.
I always make a copy from the original to use, just to be sure that the original DVD does not get damaged.
How do you do that? I thought it sounded like a good idea, but a DVD holds 4.7g and the GM Nav disc has 6.9g of data. How do I make a copy? Thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
How do you do that? I thought it sounded like a good idea, but a DVD holds 4.7g and the GM Nav disc has 6.9g of data. How do I make a copy? Thanks
You need a dual layer DVD burner and Disk ...

I make copies all the time
Old 03-05-2017, 03:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

You need to download a free software IMGBURN to copy the files and burn them to a "Verbatim" 8.5GB DL + R DVD. Memorex DVD's work as well. I've never had any issues using Verbatim, so that is what I would recommend. Staples is one of the stores that carries the Verbatim DL+R 8.5 GB Dual Layer DVD's.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I agree 100% on Verbatim...DVDs are picky, especially Double Layer discs...Verbatim are the best and most reliable...so less chance of ending up with a coaster.

I was surprised to find no copy protection on the NAV discs, so it was a very easy copy. Since I usually park my car with the top down in the summer, I was a bit concerned that the DVD can be removed from the drive with the car still locked. This was the main reason for the backup copy. I don't care if they steal a $1.00 DVD+R DL...I would be upset if they stole the original disc.

Last edited by cclive; 03-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Well, I tried to download IMGBURN and it loaded so many programs on my computer that I uninstalled them all and quit. Everything from antivirus programs to driver checkers to windows repairs added tool bars, changed my browser to yahoo, and more. It said I had 704 errors that needed to be repaired and asked for money. I uninstalled about 7 programs that it downloaded and I still never saw the IMG program. I'll just have someone make me a copy, this is a one time thing.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Did you download it from the IMG burn Website ??
http://www.imgburn.com/

Sounds like you got a bunch of malware ......

Dave
Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Did you download it from the IMG burn Website ??
http://www.imgburn.com/

Sounds like you got a bunch of malware ......

Dave
I did, and I did.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:27 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I did, and I did.
I sent you a PM with a link to the IMGBURN file to set up the program.
No need to get it from their site, and extra programs that are not needed or wanted.
If anyone else wants the link, send me a PM. I won't share it on here.

Get notified of new replies

To ques about updating nav disks

Old 03-06-2017, 12:03 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Disc based navigation is 15 year old technology, and it's about as unreliable as they come.. Get yourself a decent head unit or cell phone with navigation on it.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

You need a dual layer DVD burner and Disk ...

I make copies all the time

I have made copies of the last 4 map upgrade discs as soon as I received them by first creating a disc image backup file using image burn and then burning a dual layer DVD from that file also using image burn. It has worked fine in my 2007 nav unit every time with no read errors and no coasters burned ever. I never run the original disc just put them away as soon as i make the disc image copy. I always set image burn to the slowest burn speed available.

I have used HP DL DVD+R media for all of them and have always had good luck with them and use a high quality Pioneer DVD burner to burn the disc that I use in the car.

What I use

Software= ImgBurn version 2.5.8.0
DVD drive= Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-116D
DVD= HP DL DVD+R

Last edited by RJRSW; 03-06-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:28 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Well, I tried to download IMGBURN and it loaded so many programs on my computer that I uninstalled them all and quit. Everything from antivirus programs to driver checkers to windows repairs added tool bars, changed my browser to yahoo, and more. It said I had 704 errors that needed to be repaired and asked for money. I uninstalled about 7 programs that it downloaded and I still never saw the IMG program. I'll just have someone make me a copy, this is a one time thing.
You have to be very careful when you download a program. There was a checkbox you need to clear to tell the website you don't want the extra programs. Always view the download page very carefully before clicking Download. Some try to fool you by insinuating you won't get your program if you uncheck a box.

Quick Reply: ques about updating nav disks