C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the corvette wave a thing...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Is the corvette wave a thing...?

I have a jeep wrangler and there is an entire subculture for wrangler drivers that includes a jeep wave with a pretty specific set of guidelines:

http://jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php

I've had my C6 for about 5 weeks now and this is my first dip into the corvette waters. I'm hearing a thing or two about a corvette wave. Is that a thing? If yes, what's the protocol?

Just curious, I think the jeep wave is pretty funny and I've learned to participate. Also caught myself doing the jeep wave while in my vette. That's my bad, I prefer other wrangler drivers to look focused, not confused.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:06 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yes it's a thing. Just simply wave at your Corvette brothers. Here's one from OKC!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Yes it's a thing. Just simply wave at your Corvette brothers. Here's one from OKC!
Just curious, what's the success rate on the return wave?

Anecdotal data on the jeep wave:

Male driver 85%

Female driver 20%

2-door wrangler 90%

4-door wrangler 45%

Adult owned and driven 80%

Present for a non-deserving 16 yr old 15%

Repeat offender fleeing from crime scene 98%

Confused guy test driving 0%
Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes, you wave at fellow Corvette owners. Been doing it for years. In most cases I get the wave in return but not 100%. Passed a new C7 with paper plates in heave traffic the other day. As I pull along side the woman in the passenger seat looks over and sees me and give me a very animated wave and the male driver leans forward and joins in with the wave. BIG smiles on their faces.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Yes, you wave at fellow Corvette owners. Been doing it for years. In most cases I get the wave in return but not 100%. Passed a new C7 with paper plates in heave traffic the other day. As I pull along side the woman in the passenger seat looks over and sees me and give me a very animated wave and the male driver leans forward and joins in with the wave. BIG smiles on their faces.
This is my first vette. Not sure when the smile wears off but sometimes my face hurts
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr Bee:
dmoneychris (04-07-2017), doomi (04-07-2017), drew_c6 (04-07-2017), RagTop69 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 611 Posts

i catch myself still waving even when driving the girlfriends mercedes.... yeah, the vette drivers look confused
Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes it is ... have driven Vettes for years and always wave. In my experience, about 90% or more return the wave regardless of gender, age or year Vette. I've also found that most of the 10% that don't wave are new owners. When I had my C3's & C4's and the C5 first came out, a lot of the C5 owners didn't wave, I know the same seemed to be true when the C6 first came out and now I've seen it with the C7 owners, however, like all before them, they are coming around ... there is a learning curve lol

Last edited by Welker1; 04-07-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
This is my first vette. Not sure when the smile wears off but sometimes my face hurts
That's also a Corvette "thing". 😂 Enjoy your Vette and welcome.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I have a jeep wrangler and there is an entire subculture for wrangler drivers that includes a jeep wave with a pretty specific set of guidelines:

http://jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php

I've had my C6 for about 5 weeks now and this is my first dip into the corvette waters. I'm hearing a thing or two about a corvette wave. Is that a thing? If yes, what's the protocol?

Just curious, I think the jeep wave is pretty funny and I've learned to participate. Also caught myself doing the jeep wave while in my vette. That's my bad, I prefer other wrangler drivers to look focused, not confused.
None of this is new; it's been going on for decades, for as long as I can remember (pushing 67 here).

- My brother-in-law had a couple of MGTDs in the '60s, they waved to each other, as did all British sports cars as I recall.

- Motorcyclists always waved. But Harleys would never wave at J.a.p. bikes -- although that may have eased up now.

- Corvettes have done it for as long as I can remember

- I suppose any subculture of cars does it today. Your regular family sedan, trucks, basic transportation vehicles don't bother.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

So many C7 and C4 drivers not waving in my area. I stopped waving first. haha. If I happen to notice them waving, I'll definitely wave back though.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 611 Posts

i get more c5& c6 waves than c7
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
So many C7 and C4 drivers not waving in my area. I stopped waving first. haha. If I happen to notice them waving, I'll definitely wave back though.
Maybe it's your face.

One might think: "He looks batshit crazy. If I wave at him, he may pull out a gun and waste me."
Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Dr. Bee, we need to share a wave and a beer, my friend.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 PM
itsaaron
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It's a thing in my town and I'm personally not a fan. I think my dislike for it is because I feel like I look like a Harley rider giving the sideways piece sign down by my leg...aka, I look like an idiot.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:39 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by itsaaron
It's a thing in my town and I'm personally not a fan. I think my dislike for it is because I feel like I look like a Harley rider giving the sideways piece sign down by my leg...aka, I look like an idiot.
I wave in the Vette and on the bike. BTW...It's not a "peace" side down by my leg. It's actually wishing the other other rider a safe ride. The two fingers are understood to mean "keep both wheels on the ground" or down if you like. Hard to do that with your hand held at shoulder level...you might look like you are throwing up gang signs or something.

Last edited by MH663; 04-07-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 PM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default What is "The Wave"?

From the August/September
1969 issue of Corvette News

Ever since Corvette No. 00001 first met Corvette No. 00002 on the road, their drivers saluted each other with waves.
Today, unfortunately, this grand and glorious tradition is wavering. WAVE WHEN YOU PASS ANOTHER CORVETTE!

There's one item of standard equipment that comes as a pleasant surprise to every new Corvette owner. It's an instant wave of recognition he or she receives when he meets one of their ilks on the road. The first time it happens, they will be taken by surprise. He immediately thinks: 1. He has been mistaken for Sterling Moss.
2. His lights are on. 3. He has just been given the bird.

Soon, however, the new Vette owner anticipates, indeed even relishes, encountering other Vettes as he drives. During this period, he experiments with his waves, running the gamut from the gaping "yoo hoo" to the ultra cool "two finger flip." He perfects his timing, making sure he affects neither a too-early wave, nor the jaded "oh brother" too-late variety. Determined not to be one upped, he even develops a defense mechanism for non wavers, usually settling on the "Wave"? My hand was just on the way to scratch my head" approach.
(This is especially useful when you're not driving your Vette, but you forget, and like a dummy, you wave anyway.)

Indeed, one of the most perplexing problems facing a would-be waver is what to do when driving next to a fellow Vette owner. Passing him going in opposite directions is one thing. Greetings are exchanged, and that's that. But what happens when you pull up next to a guy at a light, wave, nod, smile and then pull up to him at the next light, a block later? Wave again? Nod bashfully? Grin self-consciously? Ignore him? Or take the chicken's way out and turn down the next side street? If you're expecting an answer, you won't find it here. Sad to
say, some questions don't have any. SAVE THE WAVE!

Girl-type Corvette drivers also have a unique problem: to wave or not to wave. This miss or misses who borrows her man's Corvette for the first time is immediately faced with this quandary. Should she wave first and look overly friendly, or ignore the wave and look like a snob? Most ladies who drive their own Vettes prefer to suffer the latter rather than take a chance of being misread. For this reason, all girls are excused for occasionally failing to return a well-meaning wave. So are new owners who are still learning the ropes.

There is no excuse, however, for a guy who refuses to return the wave, not out of ignorance, but of arrogance or apathy. While this type of behavior is the exception to the rule, it seems a few owners of newer models refuse to recognize anything older than theirs, while some others simply won't wave, period. Boo on them. These ding-a-lings don't seem to realize that they are helping to squash a tradition that had its beginnings back when most of us were still driving tootsietoys.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:17 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Get notified of new replies

To Is the corvette wave a thing...?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Sherry Foster
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem!!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

definitely a thing and my gf got her first corvette and she goes all these people in corvettes are waving and I couldn't figure out why, so had to explain to her its just like the Jeep wave

Quick Reply: Is the corvette wave a thing...?