C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wax thread again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:10 AM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 174 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

If you truly believe that a cars shine is actually accredited to the prep and not so much the wax, then 2 questions come to mind. 1st, if that is true why did we ever move from Turtle wax? Sorry but my age only lets me go back as far as Turtle wax lol. 2nd, if there was a wax that could produce the exact same shine results without any of the prep would it not be a superior wax?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
If you truly believe that a cars shine is actually accredited to the prep and not so much the wax, then 2 questions come to mind. 1st, if that is true why did we ever move from Turtle wax? Sorry but my age only lets me go back as far as Turtle wax lol. 2nd, if there was a wax that could produce the exact same shine results without any of the prep would it not be a superior wax?
I feel it's technique over anything else. Shine seems about the same to me over the years but technology has advanced how long the shine stays.
That being said, it's just my 2 cents
Old 04-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Evander Holyfield
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I'm in with Maguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, easy, smells good, and leaves my car with shiny results, but then we all know its the final polish/buff under the wax that really is the key to great lookin paint right
NSF
Another nod to Maguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. Hand applied.

The following users liked this post:
humvet (04-18-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Duck Pond
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't seen Mother's products mentioned. I really like their products and have been using them for years.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

We are a family of three black vehicles. I have tried many of the options mentioned here. In general terms I think Meguiar's make decent products with decent results. I tried the Collinite Insulator Wax once - didn't even finish the vehicle - it went straight to the Goodwill box. My C6 came with a bottle of Zaino Z-6 detail spray, so I thought I would give them a try. I bought a ton of product, studied their site, swapped some email with them. In the end, it's not for me - too hard to get off and more importantly, I didn't get the results I expect from the effort I was investing.

In the end, Chemical Guys is what works for me. On my gloss black C6, after using a polisher and correct products for clear coat correction, I use JetSeal sealant, Black Light glaze, and two alternating coats of Black and XXX. Black is a black wax that gives real depth. XXX is Carnauba/synthetic blend and gives a bright shine. All I know is heads turn when I pull up and my buddy who is way more dedicated than me to detailing his all black truck was amazed and wanted to know what I did to get the results. I need to get current shots of the car, but here is one from last year:

Old 04-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

I see lots of great product here, but in the end its what works for you and then price. Some of the product on the market today is ridiculous so I stick with my ole favorite Meguiars, readily available at every place I shop so I pick it up when I need it, no shipping or any of those charges, priced right imho.
Good luck with whatever you use Some shiny cars here
NSF
Welker1 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 01:45 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm pleased with M Ultimate paste wax with top coat of Griots garage spray wax. Use the spray wax like a detail spray and the car always shines.

Almost 10 years old with 182,000 miles.

Nice shine on the white.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

That is a great looking white car!

I should have added that I use a variety of detail sprays (depending on need, purpose, and condition of the vehicle), but one that is great and easy to use for all the surfaces of the car is Meguiar's X-press spray wax. You can only get it by the gallon, but it is my go to product for our daily driver and the truck. It goes on easy, comes off easy and leaves a nice layer of protection, as well as acting as a lubricant to take off the daily dust and pollen we see.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:16 PM
keegs54
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

bringing my 2013 torch red in monday for ceramic pro finish. hope i can clean out my garage of all the half used wax thats hanging around.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:25 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead
I'm not much of a waxer
Neither am I, I'd rather drive it and get it dirty. Taking mine in for a detailing, thinking of having him do his ceramic coating. $150.00 and no pain. He details motor with some waterless product and I have a happy little car.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:39 PM
HMannini
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Adams Butter Wax........
Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I sticking with what I said the last 3 times this was brought up.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 04-08-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Gutch94
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Detailed my '06 for the first time this weekend. Started with Griot's Ultimate Compound which got 98% of the PO's swirl marks and looks darned good -- Not perfect (Still has a couple deeper scratches), but darned good for a first try. Finished up with Griot's One-Step sealant which, according to the label, includes a polymer wax. Shined up nicely, although not a super wet looking finish. I may steal some of son's NXT wax and give that a try tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:52 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rateti
I like Zaino polish. I think it's the best.
Same here, been using it for at least 12 years on 2 black Corvettes & 2 black daily drivers. My wife's 7 year old Jetta with 135k miles impressed the dealer how deep & shiny her paint was. Nothing better or easier to use than Zaino.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:50 PM
GeeRock1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best wax I've used is Barrier Reef from Surf City Garage .
Old 04-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I used the Maguiars polish and liquid wax. They may have changed the polish. It almost dries instantly and it's almost impossible to take off.
I purchased the Griots Garage polishing kit at Barrett-Jackson this past January. I haven't tried it yet.
When I was in Arizona I met some Corvette guys who swear by a wax sold by a guy in Arizona. It may have been Jax Wax.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:22 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
I think the uptick in the number of car care products came with the times. In the 40's guys were just lucky to break 10k miles on a vehicle, they didn't care how it looked as long as it ran better than the junk built in the 30's. In the 50's guys were taking 30's cars and racing them using scrambled egg junkyard parts, it was hot rodding. I think in the 80's guys all had to have 50's led sleds, the whole grease movement. Then the 90's into the new millenium brought all the boomers into retirement and nostalgia kicked into overdrive. All of the muscle cars from the 60's went off the charts and the muscle car craze was born. Well the next generations are brought up with copious amounts of advertising thanks to the age of the internet, and social media. Out of this, comes the age of the extreme shine. You've never seen cars look better than they do today, in part because painting is much more refined and we use base coat clear coat paint.. but also because were all a heck of a lot more conscious about our vehicles in this hobby. Were all obsessed with having the nicest, the newest, the best. Companies make a fortune feeding off this frenzy of consumerism. We want choices, they provide endless products to choose from.

The second part of your question, most waxes can and will fill small scratches and swirls and make a car look better than it does without a product on it, but as you saw in my photo my car is completely stripped of all chemicals and it looks arguably better than most cars do new on dealer lots. If I seal, or wax it.. it's going to look like wet paint. I truly do believe it's all in the prep work, you wouldn't be able to guess which wax I'm using if you gave me 3 or 4 of them and told me to apply 1... could you?

Get notified of new replies

To Car wax thread again.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze

A good friend of mine is a restorer, body man, mechanic. I asked him a year or so ago about waxes, and he said there is no big secret -- which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Anything can be chemically analyzed, and if somebody had some secret ingredients that made their wax obviously superior it would be quickly known.

At any rate he said to try "Collinite Insulator Wax."

I don't know if it's any better or worse than any other (to actually find out you would have to test several brands under laboratory conditions), but it sure is a lot easier to rub off than Rejex is.

Here's "The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax"...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html

I love it!

-Mickey
Bruze (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:02 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by MickP
Here's "The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax"...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html

I love it!

-Mickey
Thanks! Interesting.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Stewartm
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey D
I use primarily black fire products on my car. I find their quick detailer to be super slick and their waxes go on and come off super easy.
Black fire wet diamond.

Quick Reply: Car wax thread again.