C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto paint on gelcoat - color matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Auto paint on gelcoat - color matter?

I am thinking about getting a fiberglass splitter for the front of my car. It is available in a white or black gelcoat finish. I'm assuming neither will be a match for the gloss black of my car, so will need painting. Since that will involve prep, primer and paint, I'm thinking the white splitter would be just fine ($50 cheaper).

I know little about working with fiberglass, gelcoat, nor the prep and painting. I tried some searches on Google and found a bunch of stuff boat related, but nothing that answered my query, so hoping some one(s) here can help this guy learn something, so I choose the best option for the project. I will take the splitter to a local auto paint shop for the prep, priming, and painting.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:13 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Not sure why the black is so much more
That said if you go black your prep work will be less they may not need as much primer
If any.
Second smaller rock chips won't expose the white behind your black top coat
Old 04-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Yeah - a local shop theorized they sold more black, so could keep the higher price.

Given that chips are more of a risk with this, you raise a good point, having a black splitter as the base.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-08-2017, 05:49 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

You can get some insight if you google Factory Five + painting. When I built my FF Cobra, paint was a complete project in itself. The FF body is fiberglass done in a gelcoat. So it'll be a similar process for your project. Being fiberglass/gelcoat, you'll need a special filler, if required and a flexible paint system.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:53 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would also think that black would be the better choice because of any stone chips that might occur
Old 04-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
You can get some insight if you google Factory Five + painting. When I built my FF Cobra, paint was a complete project in itself. The FF body is fiberglass done in a gelcoat. So it'll be a similar process for your project. Being fiberglass/gelcoat, you'll need a special filler, if required and a flexible paint system.
Thanks for the tip and direction. I will check that out, so I have a sense for what I'm getting into - and what extra expense there may be working with this product.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto paint on gelcoat - color matter?

Quick Reply: Auto paint on gelcoat - color matter?