C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best sounding exhaust for c6

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Lotsa opinions on this subject, but I like my setup... Kooks long tubes into a catted Kooks X pipe into a Corsa sport axle back

Same setup here. Sounds incredible. The Bullets I had on there before sounded awesome, but the drone killed me.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:06 AM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts

The following users liked this post:
SPSandman (09-18-2019)
Old 04-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jzanetti
I'm looking for a deep, strong performance sound.
If this is what you're looking for then I would also say go with Borla. If you want to save some cash, find some Z06 exhaust manifolds with cats and X or H pipe and some axle-back Borla mufflers. You'll LOVE the sound.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:05 PM
BlacknBluC6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit1
I have the same setup, but catless X-pipe...just awesome! Loud, and awesome.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
I would look up my local Corvette club and go listen to different exhaust systems.

Last edited by MH663; 04-19-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011_Grand_Sport
My vote is for the new Borla S Type II or ATAK. I have the S Type II. Sounds awesome and NO drone. They designed the new systems so they have no drone. I have tried to make mine drone and can't.

Edit: Call Branden @ Maryland Speed. He will hook you up.

I had terrible drone and the Borla S II fixed that and sounds awesome...
(LG long tubes, X pipe, no cats)
The following 2 users liked this post by choppychop:
ElisTwoCents (06-08-2020), ONEBADZ (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

How bout some of those good ol Thrush straight through's that we use to bolt right to the headers back in the day with no pipes after that. Ah...but alas....those days are gone....
jmessner (04-12-2019)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I thought mine were stock because there were no other mods of any kind on it, but I looked and they say Dynomax. Sound great but they do drone at hwy speed in 6th. Not intolerable, just annoying. I put in a cargo pad and partition and it tamed it enough to be livable. I don't really want to spend the money on replacing the exhaust at this point. So just a HU, if you don't like drone, stay away from Dynomax (which a Vette tuner told me were "entry level" anyway).
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Unfortunately you will never achieve the Mustang sound. It is the Corvette firing order and other LSX engine design factors that control the exhaust note. That being said, listen to every different system you can and go from there. "Best" is in the ears of the beholder.

Agree....on all factors! That being said.....you will see that Corsa and Borla get a lot of "likes" here. ...but ya gotta "hear" before you buy and virtually every good sounding system at idle and low gear rev will have "drone" issues at top gear cruse speed. ....it's a Corvette "thing!"

Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

A very subjective topic. I have the stock NPP on my 2008, and I have no problems with the sound.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Twayneo1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just cut the mufflers off my c6 and welded tips back on, it cost 100 bucks at the muffler shop and sounds awesome. its nasty.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by blittle
virtually every good sounding system at idle and low gear rev will have "drone" issues at top gear cruse speed. ....it's a Corvette "thing!"

Virtually every one except the new Borla type II. Like I said earlier in this thread. It does not have Drone. My NPP that I left open all the time did when in 6th gear and running interstate speeds and climbing a hill. The Borla S Type II on my C6 Corvette has ZERO drone. In 6th with cruise set at 80 and hit a hill or incline and the tone does not change. You can believe me or not I don't really care. Do the research yourself.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Virtually every one except the new Borla type II. Like I said earlier in this thread. It does not have Drone. My NPP that I left open all the time did when in 6th gear and running interstate speeds and climbing a hill. The Borla S Type II on my C6 Corvette has ZERO drone. In 6th with cruise set at 80 and hit a hill or incline and the tone does not change. You can believe me or not I don't really care. Do the research yourself.
I can testify... its true...and ive got 510 HP, long tube headers, X pipe, no cats.
ONEBADZ (04-19-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 AM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Twayneo1
I just cut the mufflers off my c6 and welded tips back on, it cost 100 bucks at the muffler shop and sounds awesome. its nasty.
i've heard of people doing this.

I honestly am more of a B&B Bullets type guy but the NPP exhaust upgrade from GM with a M2W switch is pretty nice. I can silence the exhaust with the push of a button.

When it's open it sounds real good as well- I've had many people ask if the exhaust is aftermarket.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

If you notice....i did say "virtually every"...meaning that there might be exceptions....so, great, I'm glad there is at least one recommended exception..but I stand by my original statement...it has been an issue for Corvette owners considering exhaust replacement for a long time. The important thing is for the thread starter to listen to prospective systems and buy the one he likes!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BullittEV
i've heard of people doing this.

I honestly am more of a B&B Bullets type guy but the NPP exhaust upgrade from GM with a M2W switch is pretty nice. I can silence the exhaust with the push of a button.

When it's open it sounds real good as well- I've had many people ask if the exhaust is aftermarket.
That's what I have on mine and I love it .....push the button, kill the drone!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Akropovic!!

Get notified of new replies

To Best sounding exhaust for c6

Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 AM
NewfGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with Billy Boat PRT on my C6. Fairly quiet until you step on the happy pedal, and then it wakes up! No Drone. I get a lot of compliments on it.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by blittle
If you notice....i did say "virtually every"...meaning that there might be exceptions....so, great, I'm glad there is at least one recommended exception..but I stand by my original statement...it has been an issue for Corvette owners considering exhaust replacement for a long time. The important thing is for the thread starter to listen to prospective systems and buy the one he likes!

Oh I did for sure notice you said "virtually every". Hence why I said "virtually every one except". Its been posted on here several times and even by people from Borla that they engineered their type II system to do away with the drone on corvettes. But it seems that SOME people (not everyone) on this forum that have other brand exhaust still want to say "its a corvette thing" and insinuate that you have to live with it. Drone does not bother some people and thats OK too. So I was just letting the OP know that if he wants a great sounding exhaust and NO drone that he should go with the Borla type II. I did have NPP with a mild to wild switch and understand that you can go to mild and the drone goes away. But with mine on mild it didn't sound like I wanted it to. I've posted on the forum before that it sounded like a Camry. So with the Borla S type II I always get the great throaty sound, the burble when I let off that I love and no drone that I hate. And I don't even have to flip a switch.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Corsa has a higher pitched, more European sound. Borla or Billy Boat have the deep sound you say you are looking for. My car had Billy Boat PRT's when I bought it. They sound great but I guess I am getting old. The noise gets a little annoying (and I do mean only a little) on long highway trips. I just bought an NPP system and NPP in a box kit and will be swapping over in the next couple of months. Best of both worlds - noise when you want and quiet when you want it, all from an OEM system. I will be selling the PRT's when I pull them off the car.

Last edited by BadAV; 04-20-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Best sounding exhaust for c6