C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, Dodge Demon...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:26 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Proud of what? That a crap car brand made yet another car that's going to break down too often?
Same thing they say about Chevy's...hec, today's Z06 overheating fiasco is at the base of many people's opinions about GM today. "Same 'ol Chevy, not surprised..."

Show patriotism for a car manufactured by a European company? I'll pass, thanks.
Bailouts and Bankruptcies can make strange bedfellows...

Yet, since so many Chevy's are made in Korea and Mexico, they can afford to build their flagship in Bowling Green. Lucky us, but it comes at a price.....because many of Chevy's jobs are elsewhere.

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-17-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Proud of what? That a crap car brand made yet another car that's going to break down too often?

Show patriotism for a car manufactured by a European company? I'll pass, thanks.
LOL

I hear you bro, it's still a Dodge. Would I buy one, no, but I must admit that I love the idea of it. A car maker that designs a car for simply throwing your *** back in the seat. I was a kid during the 70s and remember the big gas crisis, and I also remember when a Corvette had 210 HP, now that's a joke! I'm just thankful that car guys like us have choices to buy & options to make our cars look better & faster.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Yet, since so many Chevy's are made in Korea and Mexico, they can afford to build their flagship in Bowling Green. Lucky us, but it comes at a price.....because many of Chevy's jobs are elsewhere.
I think you need to do some research on Chevrolet, where their manufacturing plants are located, and where they source the majority of their parts from.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:53 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I think you need to do some research on Chevrolet, where their manufacturing plants are located, and where they source the majority of their parts from.
Since I did a research paper on this a few years ago, I actually have been following this subject closely since then...

Two articles on this subject recently that I recall:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/06/i...ally-american/

http://time.com/4677817/american-car...manufacturing/

Again, I'm all for supporting American businesses, but when you dig deeper into the facts, what defines 'an american business' gets muddy.

In the end, I think patriotism is a good thing for most countries, but not nationalism (which typically requires some source of unadulterated power to influence said patriotism, usually leading to destructive behaviors globally).

So, go America!!!

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-17-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:54 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by buck fever
I'm a Corvette guy but I think its great what Dodge did with the Demon. It was purpose built for the drag strip just like the new ZR1 will be for the track but no ones losing their mind over that. Seriously, how many owners really track their cars?

I believe there's a lot of hate on the Demon because it would flat out whip any Vettes *** on the drag strip or closed street race and this bruises the ego's of some.

Who cares! If your a fan of American muscle, you should be proud of this. No one wants a GTR, Porsche, etc. to hold the title of most horsepower or fastest 0-60 time ever.

Kudos to Dodge on a great car
Right on, buck. All vehicles are built for a purpose, whether it is a pickup or a sports car, a minivan or a pocket rocket. If you build a car for a purpose, and it fails, it deserves put downs. But, if it succeeds wildly, then why bring up, "but it can't pull a 35 foot trailer" (or, make it's way through a turn)?

Good on Dodge for building something that just might be the very best at what it was built for...

Last edited by buckmeister2; 04-17-2017 at 04:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
buck fever (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 05:34 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
How many of these will actually see the street/strip. I bet most end up tucked away in some rich guys garage (right next to their GT40) waiting for the appreciation clock to start ticking!
That is where they will be. You can bet the dealers will add a few dollars over the sticker too.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
I give it credit for the power it makes, but then make it a legit NHRA legal machine (i.e. roll cage) like a Copo Camaro or Cobrajet Mustang. Creating this to be street legal is just plain impractical. Guess we'll see how sucessful sales will be and if it was the right move for the company. I don't believe it was, but I could be wrong.

On a side note, imagine the news story when the first one gets wrecked on the street for racing or showing off. It WILL happen.
ANYTHING new with crazy power eventually ends up wadded up in a ball on the news. Sometimes in front of the stealership. Even Corvettes!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 04-17-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

They can throw all the HP they want at the Challenger.

At the end of the day, it's still a Dodge.
Yep, and it will crush any Corvette in a 1/4 drag... that is what the Demon is built for, 1/4 drags, I am not a big fan of Dodge products, but this is a badass, purpose built brute of a car
Old 04-17-2017, 07:39 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Details and driving experience to follow my cousin has one ordered!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:43 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The Demon did exactly what it was supposed to..... Create a buzz around a crazy fast warrantied drag car.... Worked perfectly...... Because we are here talking about it....
The new has worn off the Hellcat...... This is just another successful marketing strategy that pays off for the people that can afford such toys....

it's prob no match for even a base Sting Ray on a road course, but it has bragging rights for what it does, and I doubt any company is interested in getting into than pissing match...

And to non car guys, this is the undisputed car of all times..... Because they are never gonna drive one or a vette to know the difference.....

Hats off to them for having the ***** to build it...

I expect some religious group to start boycotting dodge for the evil names they use... Hehe....
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

1/4 mile is for bottle babies. It's 2017, poor trap speed at 140 for 9.5. That's 10's ET. Lets see that thing roll from 50-180 against a built C6Z.

Or run a 1/2 mile or 1 mile event and watch it fizzle out. That's ok you can buy the 1000HP exorcist ZL1 Camaro from the factory. Except it's built by Hennessey. 50K on top of the inital cost... yeah it handles too! cheap!!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by unstressed

You guys whining about it not going around curves, that's not the point. the simple point is it has 808/840 HP and has a powertrain warranty.

Not everyone gives a crap about curves. With that kind of power, your a stop light king, and can kill about everything from a roll.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

eh... once you've entered the 4-ish 0-60 club... does it matter? Who races between red lights anymore... 17 yr olds? I bought a vette because, within the relatively affordable 4 second machines out there, it's:

1. the best looking
2. the best bang for the buck
3. has a rich history
4. is serviceable
5. the best looking (yes, twice)

just my opinions but that's pretty much it, always wanted one. never for more than 15 seconds have a thought about a mustang or a challenger b/c of 1 and 5. in fact i think the mustang is average looking (and driven by too many teens) and the challenger is butt ugly.

that's where the issue begins and ends. i'm not a guy who frets over an after-market add-on that adds 16 hp or similar. the demons specs are seriously impressive if you want to be king between the red lights which has never been an issue with me, ever.
imgn tht (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:49 PM
CSTYLE
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by buck fever
I'm a Corvette guy but I think its great what Dodge did with the Demon. It was purpose built for the drag strip just like the new ZR1 will be for the track but no ones losing their mind over that. Seriously, how many owners really track their cars?

I believe there's a lot of hate on the Demon because it would flat out whip any Vettes *** on the drag strip or closed street race and this bruises the ego's of some.

Who cares! If your a fan of American muscle, you should be proud of this. No one wants a GTR, Porsche, etc. to hold the title of most horsepower or fastest 0-60 time ever.

Kudos to Dodge on a great car
Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Well. I guess Dodge did SOMETHING right if this Demon has sparked such spirited discussion. Maybe I was wrong!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Eh... Sign me up for a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk instead. 707hp with AWD, seats for 5 + cargo space, more luxurious interior, and way more enjoyable for daily use.
940CACC (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:45 AM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I have always found it interesting to watch how people get right bent about brands and models of cars....Now I'm going to stir the pot but good.

Flame suit on. I challenge these folk. Yes, yes I intentionally used the word challenge in a deliberate tongue in cheek manner. Whenever I see brand or model loyalty to the degree of hating it tells me something right away....The challenge you ask?..I challenge that you are not a true car person/gearhead. You like a specific car or brand but are not a true fan of all performance cars. You defend your choice against all, and listen to nothing. Closed of mind and foot. A true car person/ gearhead will enjoy any car for what it is. I have driven the $hit out of any car that was above average in acceleration and handling. Why, because I want to experience that car's attributes to see what it can do. Regardless of the level it can deliver vs another car. I drive anything I can get my hands on just to experience that car. I have always been a Vette man. Since I was old enough to know what one was. I have owned three thus far but I have owned a ton of other brands along the way. Currently also have a vicious little Subaru WRX 395 crank hp and 470 lb ft . Never had an import before. Thought I would try it. Now done with that experiment, but dam it was fun and FAST! I may not want this Dodge right now but I would sure as $hit run the **** out of it to see what it would/could do!! How many of the people quipping off here have run a car that can shake down 0-60 in 2.3!! With a 1.8 G launch. I can only imagine the rush. It's not going to beat a Vette when it comes to handling but with the 315's on all four corners vs the front runners it might deliver reasonable about town sporty handling. Nobody here would call a C5 Z06 a bad handling car per say but it only managed .98 G's for cornering in stock form....A Helllcat will do .89. We have however moved forward a bunch from the C5, and yes I know there is FAR more to handling than just the G's a car can pull in the corner.

I've had multiple Mustangs ( say it ain't so!), turbo T-Bird, Turbo Capri RS, three modded Lincoln Mark VIII LSC's, Audi, modded Subaru WRX , 340 Dodge Dart Swinger, 5.0L Capri, three Vettes, and likely driven 50 performance cars thus far. Likely forgot some that I've owned but not going to wrack my brain on it. Many different makes and manufacturers. My next car will be my dream which is a ZR1/ Z06X? pending the release of course. Contract open order standing right now....but I will sure as $hit not hate on this Dodge. What they have done is fantastic. If I told you 10-15 years ago that we would have a car with over 800hp, that was docile and drive-able with a full warranty what would you have said? What do I want, really want? GM to drop an 800hp wrecking machine Vette that is what I want. Until then way to go Dodge, if one of my buddies buys one I will run the hell out of it and smile non stop as I do it.

Last edited by Movie Muscle; 04-18-2017 at 01:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sorry, Dodge Demon...

Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Being brand loyal is so limiting!

U.M.

Movie Muscle (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 AM
hillwilliam
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I like all of the big 3 when it comes to performance, the demon will turn as good as most street cars till you put the pizza cutters on the front. I liked the comments about the mustangs crashing in crowds, a little search and you find many corvette in crowd crashes as well. I think it's great what dodge is doing, the others will follow. When the big 3 get in HP wars we win. I don't know which I like more, seeing a new standard hitting the showrooms or a lot of forum members on many different forums crying about the demon. Its funny when people are all about posting their dyno numbers, maybe get a little bench racing going, the demon numbers are on the table now. How many G's will the mustang or the corvette off the showroom floor pull, just curious. I like all American performance cars.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Yep, and it will crush any Corvette in a 1/4 drag...
Stocks ones maybe. I know plenty that would leave any Challenger in the dust.

Originally Posted by 449er
that is what the Demon is built for, 1/4 drags, I am not a big fan of Dodge products, but this is a badass, purpose built brute of a car
Yeah, so? It has to be running to make it down the strip. With Dodge's track record of break-downs, I don't expect to see too many making it all the way to the end of the strip.

Quick Reply: Sorry, Dodge Demon...