C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on towing a C6 in an enclosed trailer w/ Avalanche

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Default Educate me on towing a C6 in an enclosed trailer w/ Avalanche

Wasn't sure which section was the best to post this in, but since I have a C6 GS, why not test the knowledge of fellow C6'ers.

So, I've been thinking about buying an enclosed trailer for a while.

We might move, so I thought I'd use it move house hold belongings and/or for storage for a while. Also want to use it for tail gating at football games.

I'd pull it with my 2008 Chevy Avalanche, which says the towing capacity is 7000 ~ 7200 lbs.

If I buy one, I'm trying to figure out what type/size of enclosed trailer to get that will also enable me to haul my 2012 Grand Sport, which has a curb weight of ~3330 lbs.

How does one determine if their truck could handle it. So is it 7200 - 3330 = 3870 for the weight of the trailer?

I guess my wish list would be:

24' Enclosed Trailer, with the side escape door. Air Conditioned and awning.

What else should I consider?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:55 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

A 24 ft enclosed should be plenty big enough for the C6. These trailers come with 3500 lb axles or 5200 lb axles for larger loads. You can order or buy all the goodies you want or need on an enclosed.

What is ultra important is the tow vehicle. The larger the truck, the better, and safer it will tow. Lots of good quality enclosed trailers are out there. New and used.

Towing an enclosed usually requires a weight distribution hitch to spread the load from the trailer and load to the tow vehicle.

Example: I towed my 69 Camaro drag car, scooter, spare tools, small upper and lower tool chest in a 24 ft Pace enclosed. Trailer weighed 3300 empty, car weighed 2450, scooter and tools probably 1000 lbs. I first towed with a 1500 Silverado V8. It would tow it but at times a struggle climbing hills and stopping, even with working trailer brakes.

Sold the 1500 and bought a 2007 6.0L gas GMC 2500 3/4 ton with 4 wheel disc brakes and a world of difference in ease of driving and stopping. Both had the weight dist. hitch with trunion bars for stability.

You never want to feel like your trailer is pushing you around while driving and is what can happen if your tow vehicle is undersized. You want your tow vehicle to weigh more than your total trailer load.

Brake controller in tow vehicle is just as important too which controls HOW your truck and trailer brakes apply. It all takes some setup and experimenting. Once you get the feel of it all and you have the right setup with tow vehicle, trailer, hitch, load placed correctly in the trailer, correct tongue weight, sometimes you forget you are towing that big box behind you.

Also, anything in the trailer can and will move around while you tow so, secure everything and tie everything down good.
Is an Avalanche a 3/4 ton chassis? Would be nice if it is.

Last edited by J.Moore; 04-21-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Is an Avalanche a 3/4 ton chassis? Would be nice if it is.
No it's a 1/2 ton.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:49 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Your going to run out of truck fast and you won't be happy towing with it. It will tow it but you won't like it compared to a 3/4 ton vehicle. Not getting into gas vs diesel, but just the gearing, brakes and suspension alone on a 3/4 ton vehicle makes a world of difference.

But back to the question. 7,200 lbs is the max towing for your vehicle. That includes the trailer, corvette and all the gear you throw in the trailer. Not sure you'll have room for the air conditioner and generator.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll echo the other posters. You will be towing a 24 foot trailer which is, I believe, longer than the tow vehicle and nearly the same weight when loaded.
Wind resistance, stopping and humping up and down hills will kill the Avalanche. Plus, even with an equalizing hitch, you will be hard pressed to keep enough tongue weight for safe towing without the trailer pulling too much weight off the front wheels.
The trailer you are describing needs a 3/4 ton truck in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Vetteman2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

WARNING! Not enough truck.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Yeah I may have to think about a 20' trailer. The Avalanche is paid for so I don't want to buy a newer truck for the odd chance I want to haul the Vette. It's a stock GS and I've never drag race so I probably don't need it. It really would be for a potential move, and tailgating. Being able to put the vette inside would just be a bonus.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I think he is stuck with an open trailer. I would suggest an aluminum one. Breaks on both axels. Beaver tail with long ramps. Tire storage and tool storage up front. Brake controller and you will be safe.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I pulled one loaded with about 2500lbs of cabinets with my Tahoe 300 miles, so I guess I was pulling around 6000lbs. It pulled it ok and stopping was no problem as the Tahoe has 4 wheel disc and the trailer had brakes. You could tell it was there and long hills pulled it down.
Gas mileage was 8 mph. The Avalanche would be similar to the Tahoe.

I would get something bigger if I pulled it very much and for any distance.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 PM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 2008 Tahoe, 6" lift, Banks built engine @ 540RWHP/530 RWTQ & I tow my 31' Tournament Edition Fountain on a triple axle trailer with power brakes, and never have an issue. Dry weight of the boat is about 5500 lbs, then add the trailer, 200 gallons of gas & 2 Mercury 250's. No issues on hills, up or down. The Avalanche is the same platform as the Tahoe, so you should definitely be good with a 20' & I don't think a 24' is out of the question. I'm sure it'll have power brakes, and as long as the Ava has a good tranny & engine, you should be good. Been trailering for this setup for almost a decade.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,448 Likes on 2,803 Posts

If you're moving, it's cheaper to rent a big giant u haul truck.

A lot of people that towed race trailers to track days said all the same stuff. That tow capacity is a max, and you should shoot for 75% of the tow capacity. The longer the wheelbase, the better. All the guys who towed enclosed trailers routinely had 2500s. Open trailer guys tended to have 1500s or fullsize suvs. One guy towed a tiny open trailer with a frontier.

A very good friend of mine has a 20 ish foot toy hauler (o think it's smaller than that tbh). He tows it with his silverado crew cab, and HATES it. Says it's super sketchy and he really needs a bigger truck. He has his folks tow it with their 2500 whenever possible.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:44 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by kronix
I have a 2008 Tahoe, 6" lift, Banks built engine @ 540RWHP/530 RWTQ & I tow my 31' Tournament Edition Fountain on a triple axle trailer with power brakes, and never have an issue. Dry weight of the boat is about 5500 lbs, then add the trailer, 200 gallons of gas & 2 Mercury 250's. No issues on hills, up or down. The Avalanche is the same platform as the Tahoe, so you should definitely be good with a 20' & I don't think a 24' is out of the question. I'm sure it'll have power brakes, and as long as the Ava has a good tranny & engine, you should be good. Been trailering for this setup for almost a decade.

Wow, you are a brave man. That trailer and boat sure look like it is an awful lot for that short wheelbase Tahoe. Looks like "white knuckle driving" to me. But, if you have 10 years on it with no issues then good for you and hope you have continued good tows with it.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:01 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
Wasn't sure which section was the best to post this in, but since I have a C6 GS, why not test the knowledge of fellow C6'ers.

So, I've been thinking about buying an enclosed trailer for a while.

We might move, so I thought I'd use it move house hold belongings and/or for storage for a while. Also want to use it for tail gating at football games.

I'd pull it with my 2008 Chevy Avalanche, which says the towing capacity is 7000 ~ 7200 lbs.

If I buy one, I'm trying to figure out what type/size of enclosed trailer to get that will also enable me to haul my 2012 Grand Sport, which has a curb weight of ~3330 lbs.

How does one determine if their truck could handle it. So is it 7200 - 3330 = 3870 for the weight of the trailer?

I guess my wish list would be:

24' Enclosed Trailer, with the side escape door. Air Conditioned and awning.

What else should I consider?
A 20' trailer minimum, and for a Corvette it probably should be a car trailer with the beaver tail drop of about 3" or it will high center, and a car trailer has a mid door on the left side so you can get out.
You may be OK with your tow rig if you're very careful and load it properly.

Mark

Last edited by CHEV AGAIN; 04-22-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 PM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Wow, you are a brave man. That trailer and boat sure look like it is an awful lot for that short wheelbase Tahoe. Looks like "white knuckle driving" to me. But, if you have 10 years on it with no issues then good for you and hope you have continued good tows with it.
Thanks J, but I think upgrading the engine, rear diff, brakes & lines, really has helped make it a fairly easy tow. I'm sure if it were a stock Hoe it would be a different story. But like I said, never really any issues.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 PM
mile-0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my narrow body coupe in my 8.5X18 trailer. I had it built with recessed E-track spaced for the car so I could use tire loops to tie down. Also order a beaver tail rear floor, my vette loaded with no scraping. There was plenty of room to get around the car except to open the doors, which hit the inner trailer wheel boxes. I ended up taking the top off and storing it in the brackets and covering the seat so I could climb out without opening the door.
Towed with HD2500 Diesel GMC, no equalizing hitch, it was a dream to tow, several trips over 4,000 miles. I also invested in a good wireless rear view camera, takes a huge amount of stress out of driving with the crazies!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Born (04-26-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Educate me on towing a C6 in an enclosed trailer w/ Avalanche

Quick Reply: Educate me on towing a C6 in an enclosed trailer w/ Avalanche