C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious fuel smell in garage and inside the car all the time

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:41 AM
CHARMR
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Serious fuel smell in garage and inside the car all the time

I began noticing this about a year ago. I don't drive the car that often (usually due to some other electrical or module malfunction on this plastic pig!) The gas odor has gotten to the point that it seems unsafe to leave the car in an enclosed area. The fume smell could make one light-headed. I've read many of the solutions in the forum but none seem like something that I can easily repair. If only those members that respond to get another "click" in their response totals or comments about what we've had to eat in the past few days is all the answers I'll get then I'd appreciate no response at all.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:48 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

There is a recall for that. Read the post in the sticky list at the top.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:19 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

It would be helpful to know what year your car is. The "recall" which is actually an extended warranty to cover the fuel leak associated with the smell you experience, only covers 2008 and newer cars (unless there has been an update that I'm not aware of).

I suggest you call your local GM dealer and give them your VIN # to find out if your car is covered. If it is, then the repair should be free of charge. I also suggest you do this as soon as possible both because it is dangerous, and because there is a 10 year in service limit to the extended warranty coverage. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:25 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Strong gas smell for a year and you have not had it fixed? Thats living dangerously.

Dealer can do a smoke test to find any leaks. Mine was the evap line on the fuel pump. Covered under powertrain warranty.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:30 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You really need to fix that for your own safety. My 2008 is not doing it yet. It will as soon as the 10 years is up. Just like my truck did on both the speedo and the injectors. GM sucks. I am done with them. These are my last ones.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I looked up his profile and he has a 2005. No warranty. Expensive repair
Good luck. IMO GM should pay for all of these repairs without a time limit. This can be very dangerous as it's a safety issue.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:51 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I had BBQ for lunch.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I had BBQ for lunch.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:12 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry to hear of your leak. I have an 08 that did that. Had it fixed under the GM bulliten which covers cars less than 10 years or 120k. Shop around and pit dealers against each other to get the best price if possible. I have smelled the fuel while out driving a few times, so I might have to take it back if it continues. Best regards, Monte
Old 04-23-2017, 09:25 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by CHARMR
I began noticing this about a year ago. I don't drive the car that often (usually due to some other electrical or module malfunction on this plastic pig!) The gas odor has gotten to the point that it seems unsafe to leave the car in an enclosed area. The fume smell could make one light-headed. I've read many of the solutions in the forum but none seem like something that I can easily repair. If only those members that respond to get another "click" in their response totals or comments about what we've had to eat in the past few days is all the answers I'll get then I'd appreciate no response at all.
I feel your angst, and as an '05 owner and do not understand why the heck any recall. issue that affects safety times out at the ten-year level.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:28 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CHARMR
I began noticing this about a year ago. I don't drive the car that often (usually due to some other electrical or module malfunction on this plastic pig!)...
If your plastic pig is an automatic it is expen$ive to repair. If it is a manual it is cheaper. I'm guessing it's not something you have the expertise to handle (no offense).
I would recommend taking it to your dealer and see what they say.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:55 PM
CHARMR
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thanks

yes, it is a 2005 and my 3rd party warranty dropped me 3 months shy of the warranty expiring...after they, in total, paid almost $10,000 on repairs that their extended warranty covered. That was about 4 years ago. Yes, it's been a year because, as I said, I don't drive it because it's always broken or some this or that don't work well. For the past 6 months the passenger door would not open, the passenger window would not work from either door and neither would the passenger mirror. I took the door panel off moved wires around and realized I didn't want to try and take the passenger door module off so after a month I decided I'd just take it to the dealer to have them fix it. I put everything back together on the passenger door, reconnected the battery and the passenger window indexed immediately and now all electrical on the passenger door works. Must have been a short somewhere! But, the fuel smell has been there and after the passenger door began working this weekend and it was 75 degrees outside, I got Piggy out and drove her around, filled her full of 93 octane, and this morning when I opened my garage door...holy crap, the smell made my head hurt within a few seconds even before I got the drivers door open. Even today when I was out driving it, with both windows down about 3 inches, the fuel smell still gave me and my lovely bride to be a terrible headache! I'm going to drive it the next few days to run it out of gas and then save up and take it to the dealership. This damn pig is nothing but a freaking money pit! or worry wart! I've had my eye on that new Lexus F-Sport, the one with 467 HP! Maybe while the pig is working and all, might be a good time to trade her in on another ride.... But, man, this pig is nice to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Serious fuel smell in garage and inside the car all the time

Quick Reply: Serious fuel smell in garage and inside the car all the time