C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP NEEDED Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 AM
POLCATT
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP NEEDED Car wont start

I have power to everything-except when I hit the start button nothing happens. All goes dead. I charged the battery-changed the battery-bought a new battery-had all the batteries tested. Checked all the fuses-changed ALL the fuses. Still nothing!!!

Car is turning into a lawn statue. (2008)

Checked neutral safety switch as well...HELP
Old 04-23-2017, 10:48 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Might check the connections at the starter. Known problem area both hot and ground connections.

GL.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 AM
POLCATT
Cruising

Originally Posted by wayback
Might check the connections at the starter. Known problem area both hot and ground connections.

GL.
Starter checked...both ground and hot check out good. Keep the suggestions coming...still searching.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:24 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by POLCATT
Starter checked...both ground and hot check out good. Keep the suggestions coming...still searching.
Is new battery fully charged?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:27 AM
POLCATT
Cruising

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Is new battery fully charged?
Yes---but taking it back and getting another one.

I just noticed the battery on its own will not power the car-I need to put the battery charger on boost in order for it to charge anything.

Going into town to replace the new battery I just bought. When I test the battery it shows charge-but when I turn the key it goes to zero (0).

Gremlins...gotta love em
Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Make sure the new battery is fully charged before leaving the store.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Right. Have the store check it just as they would if you carried in an old one for testing.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback

GL.
How did you check them? A simple continuity test won't tell you anything. Although I would need some expert advice before attempting this on a complex modern vehicle filled with electronics, in an earlier life I would take a jumper cable, hook one end to the negative battery terminal (remove the ground cable) and the other to a good ground. If it cranks over then you have a weak connection in your ground cable/terminals. If it doesn't crank, wiggle both ends and try again.

To check the positive cable/terminals, I would also just short the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver, and if the engine cranked over then there is a problem with the positive cable and/or connections. Ha, I don't think I'd try this on my C6.

But the safe way (on a modern vehicle) to rule out the far ends of BOTH battery cables as being the problem is to remove them, clean everything up with a wire brush, Scotch-Brite, etc. and re-tighten.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM
POLCATT
Cruising

I took the starter off and did the old fashion jumpers utilizing a vise- starter kicked over. I also tested the positive and negative cable for continuity-to ensure there was no short. All tested good. I traded my new battery for a new battery-changed all the fuses (after checking them). Hooked everything back up---Car started right up. I have turned it on and off several times-all is working as it should. The cause of the problem is still unknown-all contacts have NOW been thoroughly cleaned-maybe that was it. Maybe not---GREMLINS gotta love them

Last edited by POLCATT; 04-23-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I was gonna say, did you run a trouble shoot with a scanner, that oughta tell you the code/issue really quick.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I took the starter off and did the old fashion jumpers utilizing a vise- starter kicked over. I also tested the positive and negative cable for continuity-to ensure there was no short. All tested good. I traded my new battery for a new battery-changed all the fuses (after checking them). Hooked everything back up---Car started right up. I have turned it on and off several times-all is working as it should. The cause of the problem is still unknown-all contacts have NOW been thoroughly cleaned-maybe that was it. Maybe not---GREMLINS gotta love them
The odds of it being a bad connection are much higher than the odds of getting a (2?) brand-new batteries that were bad.

FWIW, continuity test on the cable: What you needed to know was: Is full current available between the battery posts and the terminals that they ultimately connect to? It might not be (if the terminals are dirty) even though the cable itself might be fine.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:50 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

if the battery wouldn't power the car,it was ''JUNK'',,get a battery tender,if you don't drive it much,,''c-tek'' makes a great one,and make sure your alternater is charging the battery at 13.9-14.2 volts when idling,and charge the new battery over-night to fully charge it before using it

Get notified of new replies

To HELP NEEDED Car wont start

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED Car wont start