C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance appraisals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Lreynolds
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Insurance appraisals?

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a car appraised for insurance purposes? I want to go through Hagerty, but I want to insure it for a little more than what they have offered to cover it for. Getting an appraisal could help me bridge the gap, I just don't know anything about having that done. I want someone that has intimate knowledge of corvette's vs some random appraiser that may not have ever looked at a mid year... Thanks for the help!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 PM
sdleo29
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try Grundy before I went to Haggerty. If you have three or more cars in household, they will do an agreed upon value on one or more "classic" cars. Pretty painless process. I was quoted $970 for an agreed upon value of 60K last week from Grundy. Hagerty was $2600 if you could believe it, I still can't, but that is what they quoted.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Those prices are outrageous IMO. Talk to Adam Boca of National Corvette Museum.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by sdleo29
I would try Grundy before I went to Haggerty. If you have three or more cars in household, they will do an agreed upon value on one or more "classic" cars. Pretty painless process. I was quoted $970 for an agreed upon value of 60K last week from Grundy. Hagerty was $2600 if you could believe it, I still can't, but that is what they quoted.

Don't know what your "special circumstances" are, but I have Hagerty policy for my 1967 at an agreed value of $70K. Full comp/collision/liability policy with no deductibles for under $650/yr. I live in Louisiana so this rate also includes Uninsured Motorist coverage as well.

Larry
Old 05-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Lreynolds
Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a car appraised for insurance purposes? I want to go through Hagerty, but I want to insure it for a little more than what they have offered to cover it for. Getting an appraisal could help me bridge the gap, I just don't know anything about having that done. I want someone that has intimate knowledge of corvette's vs some random appraiser that may not have ever looked at a mid year... Thanks for the help!
I have found Hagerty to be very accommodating as far as value goes for insuring a vehicle. Their valuations are actually on the high end of what I would expect for various cars and conditions.

I would ask them what it would take to increase the value to your desired amount...........if it is an independent appraisal, then I would ask them for the names and phone numbers of a few appraisers in your area that they would accept. Then pick one of these.

Unless they are willing to accept a special appraisal as proof for your agreed insurance value, you could have the best Corvette guy around make the appraisal and they still may balk. I can give you names of some of the best in the country, but it may not help you in this case.

Larry
Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 PM
sdleo29
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Don't know what your "special circumstances" are, but I have Hagerty policy for my 1967 at an agreed value of $70K. Full comp/collision/liability policy with no deductibles for under $650/yr. I live in Louisiana so this rate also includes Uninsured Motorist coverage as well.

Larry
No special circumstances thats what they quoted me. Spoke to three different people, perhaps they do not consider a 2010 ZR1 something that would only be driven under 2k miles/year, who knows. Could be because I live on Long Island, 7M people, 120 miles long and 20 miles wide...

Last edited by sdleo29; 05-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

Not sure why you are asking in this section for a 2010 ZR1.

I have four vehicles insured with NCM for a little over $800 a year. Agreed value on my 66 is $60,000 with 3000 miles per year and I didn't need an appraisal for that amount.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

None of this matters unless you get something in writing from the insurance company that you are talking to that says they will accept the appraisal you submit.

Personally I have been insured by Allstate for 30 plus years and have had several classic Corvettes and other old muscle cars along with my regular vehicles and homeowners policies with them. I have had several claims over the years (mostly people running into me) and have never had a problem. I even had a 1981 H.D. Sturgis Low Rider (special bike for those that don't know) stolen and they paid market value on it. I don't like the exceptions that the specialty companies put on you regarding where and when you can drive YOUR car. If you have all of your insurance with one company they are usually very easy to work with for your classic AND they give you multi car/policy discounts, at least Allstate does.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,787 Posts

Originally Posted by bradc6
Not sure why you are asking in this section for a 2010 ZR1.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 AM
Lreynolds
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Not quite sure where anything about a 2010 ZR1 came about or why the thread got moved. I started the the thread for asking for help with a 1964 fuelie.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Those prices are outrageous IMO. Talk to Adam Boca of National Corvette Museum.
I agree Frankie, but the man is asking where to get an appraisal to set a true value on the car which he feels is greater than what he has been given or found.

Adam may be able to point him the the correct appraiser to give him the answer. He may be able to pay for another appraisal that gives him the value he is wanting, but the insurer may not accept that appraisal in the event of a claim.

Then again, he may want to work it out with Hagerty if he is set on going with them as only their appraisal will really matter.

While he is asking Adam for help, he could get a quote to see if he is getting the best price and coverage. Keep in mind the costs here in PooDunk IL is probably a lot less than in Chicago or other metro areas as the number of thieves, idiots, and road rage is somewhat proportional to population.

Last edited by R66; 05-17-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,385 Likes on 897 Posts

Not quite sure where anything about a 2010 ZR1 came about or why the thread got moved. I started the the thread for asking for help with a 1964 fuelie.
Seems like this thread has been moved around to several sections on the forum. Perhaps you could edit your first post and say specifically what you are looking for insurance appraisal on, a 1964 Corvette. Waiting until the 10th post added to the confusion.

You've gotten some good advice so far. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would highly recommend Auto Appraisal Group. We rarely need an appraisal, however, they provide the most substantiated appraisal available.

Give us a call and we can see if we can assist on the value you are requesting. 877.678.7626

Thanks!

Adam
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

If this is not your primary driver, there are many companies out there that will offer stated value and allow differnt levels of miles driven. No need for an appraisal unless you are determined to get one. A professional appraisal will probably set you back from $350 to $500 dollars. A waste of money in my opinion. I would shop around. I use Infinity for both of my corvettes and they also provide free roadside assistance and towing.

Pm if you want their contact. GL
Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

When we acquired our Corvette last November a friend advised to get an appraisal for insurance purposes since he had a no fault accident total loss of a rare restored collector car. Insurance would not recognize its value since he didn't have an appraisal. He ended up getting pocket change for it.

We hired an appraiser who does international appraisals on custom, exotics and show cars. He did a detailed certified, nicely bound appraisal with about 20 color pictures for $400. I was quite pleased with the appraisal since he valued our extremely low mileage showroom condition 07 Indy Pace Car for $10K more than we were offered for it as a trade in on a new one.

Hagerty accepted the appraisal and insured it accordingly although the process involved tempted me to tell them forget it and take a hike. My wife and I both had to submit our drivers abstracts going back 10 years as well as the no claims reports on the 4 vehicles we have had in the past 10 years. The Hagerty policy also does not provide any coverage if participating in any autocross events or racing which is OK by us since we are not into that anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance appraisals?

Quick Reply: Insurance appraisals?