C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Windshield wiper question

For those of us who dare to drive our C6s in the rain, I have a question about the operation of the windshield wipers. The intermittent wiper setting has five different frequency levels with the top one being just short of full time low speed operation. When I have the wipers set on the highest frequency setting they sometimes begin to operate at the low speed constant level on their very own. If I switch down to the next lower frequency they operate at the high frequency level for a bit and then slow to the lower frequency. If I then shift to the higher frequency they will operate there normally until they decide to resume low speed constant operation. If I operate the low speed constant wipers and then switch to the intermittent function set on the highest frequency it will continue to operate in the constant low speed mode. This is the first car with intermittent wipers that I have ever had that "works" this way. Is it an intentional thing or just some sort of electrical whoopsie?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Are you sure you don't have it set on the speed sensitive setting? The delay will decrease as you speed up and increase when you slow down.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Intermittent Operation
Windshield wiper delay operation is a low speed wiper motor function with a variable delay interval between the wiper motor cycles. The delay interval is determined by a series of 5 resistors within the wiper/washer switch. The body control module (BCM) monitors the voltage on the wiper switch low signal circuit to determine the delay interval between the low speed wiper motor cycles.

If the wiper switch is moved from one delay interval to another, the BCM will command an immediate wipe cycle, and reset the delay timer.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EVRose
Are you sure you don't have it set on the speed sensitive setting? The delay will decrease as you speed up and increase when you slow down.
Maybe my '09 1LT isn't equipped with the speed sensitive setting because it only seems to have a pull down for one time operation, push up for intermittent, push up again for low speed and push up yet again for high speed operation. Where would I find the control for the speed sensitive setting?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Intermittent Operation
Windshield wiper delay operation is a low speed wiper motor function with a variable delay interval between the wiper motor cycles. The delay interval is determined by a series of 5 resistors within the wiper/washer switch. The body control module (BCM) monitors the voltage on the wiper switch low signal circuit to determine the delay interval between the low speed wiper motor cycles.

If the wiper switch is moved from one delay interval to another, the BCM will command an immediate wipe cycle, and reset the delay timer.
Yeah, OK. But mine doesn't operate either consistently or as one would expect. Your explanation of the normal operation is great, but it doesn't answer my question. I had trouble with a BCM on my 2000 Camaro and finally had to take it out and resolder a couple of joints on the PC board because the Chevy supplier had a wave soldering process that sucked. It was a common failure issue on 4th gen Camaros impacting the radio and power window operation. Hopefully this isn't a further example of BCM problems from Chevrolet.

Last edited by RagTop69; 05-16-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Rain??? Windshield wipers???

Old 05-16-2017, 10:12 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blittle
Rain??? Windshield wipers???

You don't know if your wipers even work, do you? Unfortunately my other car is a '69 Mustang convertible that I don't drive in the rain, so my Vette is my DD and has to do the "wet work".
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Maybe my '09 1LT isn't equipped with the speed sensitive setting because it only seems to have a pull down for one time operation, push up for intermittent, push up again for low speed and push up yet again for high speed operation. Where would I find the control for the speed sensitive setting?
On the lever it's the center position. Picture of the windshield with 3 dashed lines above it.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 AM
mbries
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I experienced something similar once. I found the following statement online that helped explain my scenario.

"There is a feature on wiper intermittent delay fastest speed: When one goes over 50mph in this setting, the wiper automatically switches to constant on (normal speed). C6 has speed sensitive intermittent delay, but no rain sensor."

I'm not sure if it's accurate or not, but you can find the reference at http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=165831. (Post #2, #16 in the list)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by mbries
...I'm not sure if it's accurate or not, ...
I am.

From the shop manual:
Intermittent Operation

Nothing in there about changing intermittent speeds based on car speed. Yes, there are many cars that change speed based on vehicle speed. But the C6 is not one of them.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

OP, if your wiper speed is changing without you changing the speed selection, then you have an intermittent loss of connection in the speed selection resistor array switch. Try just twisting it back and forth several times which may clear a piece of dirt or corrosion in the switch.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:29 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I am.

From the shop manual:
Nothing in there about changing intermittent speeds based on car speed. Yes, there are many cars that change speed based on vehicle speed. But the C6 is not one of them.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Looks like it might depend on the year. What manual is that from? I see where the 2005 owner's manual said it would have speed sensitive wipers but they were never built. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-wipers.html and https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-wipers.html

So what years have this feature? I can't find any.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Our Grand Sport is 4 years old....never had the wipers on!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Looks like it might depend on the year. What manual is that from? I see where the 2005 owner's manual said it would have speed sensitive wipers but they were never built. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-wipers.html and https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-wipers.html

That's from my 05 manual. Whether it actually works or not I have no idea.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

My 07 does not (and the manual makes no reference of it).
Old 05-18-2017, 02:00 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
My 07 does not (and the manual makes no reference of it).
Ditto my '09. Sounds like Chevy published a discussion of some vapor ware in the '05 manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wiper question

Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

The owner's manual must be available when the first unit rolls off the line. That means it has to be sent to the printers before the design is finished. There are often errors in the owner's manual especially in the first edition of changes. Another example is the 07 manual shows the new FOB design which turned out to not work and was held until the 08's were built. The shop manual, on the other hand, is not published until almost a year after the model year goes into production. It, consequently, is more accurate although there will even be errors in it also.

It is rather easy to test. Drive slow in the rain and speed up. Does the wiper speed change? So far I have never seen anything that says any C6 was ever actually built with speed sensitive wipers. I know for a fact that my 3LT 07 doesn't have that setting and that 05 (prior to the first C6 being built) is the only place it was ever mentioned. But, yes, there are several people here that claim they have that feature and love it or hate it while others with the same year and model say it doesn't exist.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 05-19-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtop69
for those of us who dare to drive our c6s in the rain, i have a question about the operation of the windshield wipers. The intermittent wiper setting has five different frequency levels with the top one being just short of full time low speed operation. When i have the wipers set on the highest frequency setting they sometimes begin to operate at the low speed constant level on their very own. If i switch down to the next lower frequency they operate at the high frequency level for a bit and then slow to the lower frequency. If i then shift to the higher frequency they will operate there normally until they decide to resume low speed constant operation. If i operate the low speed constant wipers and then switch to the intermittent function set on the highest frequency it will continue to operate in the constant low speed mode. This is the first car with intermittent wipers that i have ever had that "works" this way. Is it an intentional thing or just some sort of electrical whoopsie?
stop driving it in the rain!!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RichKiss
stop driving it in the rain!!
Really??? That's how you wind up with used cars with under 5K miles on the clock that were owned by people who were afraid to drive them and only ran them in and out of the garage. They're Chevys for crissakes.

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper question