C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather wrapping some interior panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Red12
Love the red stitching. I contacted the vendor and he is sending me color samples. I have the ebony and cobalt red interior. Is yours the same?
My interior is now all black with Victory red accents. I think the red stitching would match the cobalt just fine though.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist

I just completed the apillars, front windshield trim, rear halo trim and rear speaker trim panels. Took my time and took we roughly 2 panels per day. I ordered the interior upper door sill pieces. Hope they come by this weekend. Those look pretty easy to recover. I like the looks of the lower door sill panel in leather, but I'm afraid it will get scuffed up too easily. I covered the gauge pods last year and had to add spacers since the thickness of the leather was engaging the buttons.

My haven't been able to take very good photos as of yet, but everyone loved the look at the car show sthis weekend.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon05vette
I just completed the apillars, front windshield trim, rear halo trim and rear speaker trim panels. Took my time and took we roughly 2 panels per day. I ordered the interior upper door sill pieces. Hope they come by this weekend. Those look pretty easy to recover. I like the looks of the lower door sill panel in leather, but I'm afraid it will get scuffed up too easily. I covered the gauge pods last year and had to add spacers since the thickness of the leather was engaging the buttons.

My haven't been able to take very good photos as of yet, but everyone loved the look at the car show sthis weekend.

You went all in, very nice work. Looks great. How do the sunvisors fit?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Nice job! I have the rear trim, upper and lower door sill pieces on the way as well and am concerned about scuffing.

With your door sill panels being cashmere, do you think the black leather on the upper will transition ok with the cashmere lower?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
Nice job! I have the rear trim, upper and lower door sill pieces on the way as well and am concerned about scuffing.

With your door sill panels being cashmere, do you think the black leather on the upper will transition ok with the cashmere lower?

I purchased a pair of ebony color lower door sills to replace the cashmere ones. I was concerned about that transition also.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

I purchased a pair of ebony color lower door sills to replace the cashmere ones. I was concerned about that transition also.
Problem solved! Would love to see another pic when you get finished.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

how did you remove the speaker grills?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maligator
how did you remove the speaker grills?
Speaker grill removal is pretty easy and obvious once you have the panel off.
Make sure you mark the grill and panel because believe it or not they are oriented a specific way. That was not obvious and it took me about 5 minutes each to get them reinstalled correctly.

That panel was a little tricky to get off. There is a pretty substantial white push fiction pin jump behind the speaker. I use a very long slotted screw driver as leverage to pop that pin out. You have to be careful with that pin or you can break the holder built into the panel.

Last edited by Jon05vette; 07-22-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Addition info
Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are some photos of the Additional pieces received today installed.
New dual color door handle leather pieces and the inner door trim under the apillar.

I just bit the bullet and ordered the illar and lower door trim. Hope I don't scuff that lower piece.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:03 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Really nice work. Looks top notch. The more I did, the more confident I became. I do really wish that they made the knee bolster and glove box pieces though.

Last edited by myredhead1; 07-25-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:14 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by myredhead1
Really nice work. Looks top notch. The more I did, the more confident I became. I do really wish that they made the knee bolster and glove box pieces though.
I think it would be nice if they had the dash as well.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Update: installed the b-pillar and lower door trim this weekend. A little tedious but I like how it turned out.

Last edited by Jon05vette; 08-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:05 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm so glad people are doing this mod. I find it to be challenging but very rewarding. I'm contemplating doing the back speaker panels now, lol.
I bought a roll of just vinyl a while back. Haven't done anything with it yet, but my thought was that the vinyl would be better that just the plastic every where. I really don't like that plastic material on the door panels. Your guys Leather with the seams are outstanding. Very nice job.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:28 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Finally finished all the interior work. I have installed many different interior pieces to try and tie in the black, red and cashmere together but never liked any of them. I finally decided to lose the cashmere.

When I bought the car, it already had some interior pieces that were color matched. Here was the original

And the latest with all the leather wrapped pieces completed

The door trim pieces are nice but not really something most are going to see unless the door is open or the top is down at a car show. I did catch my boot on the drivers side getting out and it didn't hurt the leather at all. I was worried about that but it seems like it will hold up fine.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Trim

Finally finished all the interior work. I have installed many different interior pieces to try and tie in the black, red and cashmere together but never liked any of them. I finally decided to lose the cashmere.

When I bought the car, it already had some interior pieces that were color matched. Here was the original

The door trim pieces are nice but not really something most are going to see unless the door is open or the top is down at a car show. I did catch my boot on the drivers side getting out and it didn't hurt the leather at all. I was worried about that but it seems like it will hold up fine.

Very nice job!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jon05vette:
1rusty1 (08-08-2017), Keev1414 (11-21-2021)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:14 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Just finished my last piece. Steering column cover. Couldn't figure out how to disassemble the wheel cover so I installed the leather on the car.

If I get ambitious over the winter, I might do the top of the door panel. That looks like a pretty involved project though.

I also Had my gas cap dipped (carbon fiber look) to match the rest of the other black parts now.
Running out of modifications to do!!!!!

Last edited by Jon05vette; 08-12-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-2017, 02:30 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Love the steering wheel shroud. Can you share how you installed without removing please? Very interested but do not want to remove. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Leather wrapping some interior panels

Old 08-12-2017, 03:17 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

This looks great. I think I want to do this to my car at some point.

I wish that the ebay listings for this made it a little bit more clear where these different pieces go.
The following users liked this post:
1rusty1 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Steering shroud

Love the steering wheel shroud. Can you share how you installed without removing please? Very interested but do not want to remove. Thanks!
i only installed the top half and not the bottom at this point.

I could not figure out how to remove the column adjustment lever. Could not find the little clip.

Just laid the leather on the top and used a silver marker to mark were i needed to cut the leather. Must of did this about a dozen times to ensure i had the right cuts.

I taped off everything i thought i might possibly get contact adhesive were i didnt want it.

Wipped the shroud with alcohol and then with 3m pre-adhesisive since i did nor want to spray contact adhesive in the car.

Sprayed a heavy coat of contact adhesive on the leather and quickly placed it on the shroud and worked the leather from the steering wheel to the dash display.

I moved the steering wheel all the way down and out to help with the install.

Keep working the leather with my hands for about 15 minutes to make sure it conformed to the shroud propetly.

I did not install the leather on the bottom and may not since no one sees it, but we will see.

This piece took the most patience to instal.

I used a black perminant marker the coat thesidesof the leather were i cut it to blend into the bottom of the plactic showing better.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:26 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FAUEE
This looks great. I think I want to do this to my car at some point.

I wish that the ebay listings for this made it a little bit more clear where these different pieces go.
Thanks.

They have so many different patterns it can be difficult to figure out what fits what.

Quick Reply: Leather wrapping some interior panels