C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible trip travel tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:58 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Possible trip travel tips?

We might be taking our 2012 GS vert on a 2500 mile round trip. Any tips as to luggage or how much we can expect to be able to pack? Any good soft sided luggage we might want to buy?
This is our first long trip in a vert and i suspect wifey is going to have a hard time whittling down what she HAS to have.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 AM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
We might be taking our 2012 GS vert on a 2500 mile round trip. Any tips as to luggage or how much we can expect to be able to pack? Any good soft sided luggage we might want to buy?
This is our first long trip in a vert and i suspect wifey is going to have a hard time whittling down what she HAS to have.
Quick stop, over night stay = Dopp kit for you & equal for her. Change T-shirt & undies. All in same tote as that's all you want to carry into the hotel room. Eliminates the need to unload/reload the entire car. Remember, it's overnight. Your traveling, not socializing.
Each pack your own "suitcase." Of course, you will need less than her . My wife's philosophy has always been, and still is, "you never know." Realize it, accept it. :yesnod

Roll clothing, don't lay them flat (ask any GI).

Just returned from ~2100 mile trip from PHX to CMH. Great ride. I drove, wouldn't want to be in co-pilot seat the entire trip.

ENJOY!
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:25 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

1 samsonite roller in middle with both your clothes in it, separate bag for her makeup,small cooler for drinks and food,stuff extra footwear in the nooks and crannies. The bigger problem is bags of dirty clothes, I fold them flat in plastic garbage bags and lay flat on top. Have fun!!
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:51 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

We have a 13 GS convertible and have been out as long as 15 days. As previously stated, roll your clothes. We count each piece of clothing for each day and take one extra set. One extra pair of shoes for each of you. We have one bag for the bathroom items. We take a small cooler (Holds 4 bottles of water) and we include our folding chairs (They slide under the convertible top divider). Dirty clothes are rolled and placed in a trash bag. We place our jackets or coats (Based on the temperature zone) on top of everything. Our main bag is a Chevy duffle bag that we bought from the Chevy Mall about 4 years ago. Haven't found one like it again. I keep looking because I would like to have another one when this one wears out.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

The trunk area builds up quite a bit of heat, careful of food not kept in the cooler.

Trunk can fit at least 3 carry on sized bags/suitcases with plenty of space left over for the wife's make up bags, slipper bags, insert some kind of something she needs bags....
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 AM
triple black c4
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember back when we had our c4 vert and the question came up about a 2 week vacation on the forum and had several good responses. One person said if you know where you are going and will stay in one place for a time you can ship your luggage by ups, some use the vacuum bags, and one person said to send your wife on the bus with the luggage and drive the car yourself. Needless to say after the last comment my wife recommend we get a c5 with a trunk. We have been on several trips in c5 and c6's and you can get more than you think in the trunk, and if necessary you can always throw in a load of wash as most motels anymore have laundry. Don't worry about the small stuff and enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

My wife and I take many long (5000 to 6000 mile) road trips in our C6 convertible. The secret is to pack light, with nylon based clothes.

Visit the travel clothes websites, Rick Steves,Magellan, ex officio, travelsmith, Cabelas, and get the underwear, socks, shirts and pants/shorts that dry overnight.

We pack 3 or 4 sets of clothes, and we wash a set each evening in the hotel, they are dry by morning. The quick dry pants with the zip off legs, to convert to shorts are great. We pack a duffle bag/ oversized gym bag each with our own clothes. We also will lay flat some sweatshirts /heavier coats under the top divider for those colder mountain mornings. (we always travel with the top down). We take one extra pair of shoes.

Keep sunscreen and apply frequently, and a cap in the cockpit.

Resist the urge to pack more clothes "just in case" you can always buy it.

I also pack a couple rolls of quarters, a California Waterblade, and a couple towels, and wash the car every day or two as it gets grimey on the road. I also pack California Duster for those days it's not too dirty.

Magellans sells a rubber stretchy "clothesline" I have two, and I add those aluminum carbiner loops on each end. You can always find a way to stretch it in the bathroom. Take some Woolite soap and use very little when washing clothes.

Take your ipad or ultra book instead of a the big laptop. don't forget your camera.

We are doing a 19 day trip this year, and I'm looking forward to it. Travel in a Vette with the top down is the best way to see the USA. Don't worry about light to medium rain, just roll up the side windows and keep it over 60 mph, and you will stay dry.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Motels have washing machines! Take a couple of pairs of pants and a pair of running shorts. By souvenir T-shirts along the way. Use the no rinse method to keep the car clean along the way. All you will need is a spray bottle, a few microfiber rags and a microfiber towel.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Cheap soft sided duffle bags.

Best...ship you luggage ahead to each destination and travel with less weight in the Vette.

Have fun.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:30 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

How old is battery? Jump boxes now fit in glove box. plugging kit, air compressor, Small items like bottled water can be put in those small holes around luggage. If you are going to the factory , have enclosed shoes, flip-flops and sandals aren't allowed. A charger that does communication devices.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Motels have washing machines! Take a couple of pairs of pants and a pair of running shorts. By souvenir T-shirts along the way. Use the no rinse method to keep the car clean along the way. All you will need is a spray bottle, a few microfiber rags and a microfiber towel.
We are headed out west for 23 days, and 6K miles. I bought a good-sized duffle, from LL Bean. It conforms to the space you have in the rear. We plan on laundering about every four of five evenings. After all, when you are in one state today, and another, the next, nobody knows you wore that tee two days earlier. As long as they are clean, I'm good.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

We've been on a 5000 mile trip that lasted 21 days. We have a coupe, so a little extra space for luggage. We are able to get 2 medium size (25 x 18 x 11") in the rear cargo area, a laptop, a few pairs of shoes, and car cleaning supplies in the lower rear compartments.
We stayed in Jacksonville FL for 6 days, but other than that it was no more than 2 days anywhere else.
We stay at hotels that have self serve laundry facilities
and do a wash every 3-4 days. It works for us.
Anytime that we do a week or so trip, we mostly always pack 2 med suitcases.

Have a great trip!
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Barndog Buddha
Instructor

Location: Gurnee IL. so close to Wisc. I can smell it when they cut the cheese
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are going to be spending more than a day in one place we have used laundry services. Drop off in the morning and pick up clean, folded and all wrapped up. We have found motel laundry machines being used all evening and laundromats can be a real pita. Have a great time, dirty clothes should be the last thing on your mind.
ByByBMW (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:57 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Thanks for all the tips. Great advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible trip travel tips?

Quick Reply: Possible trip travel tips?