C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run off the road - insurance Claim Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM
travbjork
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Run off the road - insurance Claim Questions

So long story short, I was run off the road by a huge truck with tires halfway up our windows, like we have many of here in South Texas, and I front lined the hard edge of a tall concrete curb-like median thing.

I really don't know the extent of the total damage yet, they can't get an adjuster to me until tomorrow or Monday. They towed the car back to my place though. Anything you think I should look for? It was a hard hit, pretty sure my rear end even came off the ground when the rear tire hit. 40-50mph.

My question is about the tires. I've been about due for some new rubber and I don't want them to replace the tires I have now. They obviously can't replace just two with new ones, could I ask for OEM? Michelin Pilot SS? Something along those lines?

I'm currently running non-run flat Cooper Zeon RS-3 S's.

Thanks everyone, I didn't die, so that's a plus. It was either off the road or hit the truck, I think I picked the better option.

Travis
Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

they will probably only offer a small percent of what the cost of the tire is since it is worn out. take the money they pay for the tire and put it towards what you want and pay the difference.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't know why you figure that you can't replace just 2 tires?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:33 AM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I don't know why you figure that you can't replace just 2 tires?
Why would I want two worn tires on the driver side and two brand new tires on the passenger side (which is the side of the damage, don't think I mentioned that in the OP). Sounds like an accident waiting to happen lol

Originally Posted by russ472
they will probably only offer a small percent of what the cost of the tire is since it is worn out. take the money they pay for the tire and put it towards what you want and pay the difference.
They're not awfully low, but I'm not happy with the grip they're putting out anymore.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by russ472
This..... That is what they did when I hit a deer with my truck. offered me $60 towards a new tire
Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Edit: regarding post #4, not #5.

It doesn't work that way. Depending on tread depth, there may be a betterment charge. Expect the insurance co. to replace the two that were damaged with two more Coopers after taking their betterment fee. Why would you ever think they'd replace two worn, but "not awfully low" bargain brand tires with a set of four premium tires? It sounds ridiculous. If they're kind they'll give you a check for what the two Coopers are worth and you can put that towards whatever tires you want.

Last edited by 919cw313; 06-01-2017 at 11:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-02-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd take the settlement check and just apply it to the tires you need.
jbc1995fb (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 PM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Edit: regarding post #4, not #5.

It doesn't work that way. Depending on tread depth, there may be a betterment charge. Expect the insurance co. to replace the two that were damaged with two more Coopers after taking their betterment fee. Why would you ever think they'd replace two worn, but "not awfully low" bargain brand tires with a set of four premium tires? It sounds ridiculous. If they're kind they'll give you a check for what the two Coopers are worth and you can put that towards whatever tires you want.
I understand, I just don't know how it works, which is why I'm asking I've never had to deal with insurance companies before, didn't know if haggling or asking for things worked.

A buddy of mine got out pretty good after hitting a curb at 55-60mph, new tires, wheels bunch of other suspension work.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Had a similar situation. Sent you a PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
Had a similar situation. Sent you a PM.
Your stored message quota is over, it won't let me reply there so -

My deductible for collision and comprehensive is $100, so should it matter? I haven't had an adjuster come out yet, just started a claim. Other then that, I don't think there will be a difference. Thoughts?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:42 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by travbjork
...new tires, wheels bunch of other suspension work.
Hit hard enough to break the wheels...I would be concerned about suspension damage. Also, whether the wheelbase is now shorter on the passenger side vs the driver side...as in that side is pushed back.
Ugly.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:44 PM
z06Don
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

This isnt a comprehensive claim....its collision...
Landru (06-02-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by travbjork
Your stored message quota is over, it won't let me reply there so -

My deductible for collision and comprehensive is $100, so should it matter? I haven't had an adjuster come out yet, just started a claim. Other then that, I don't think there will be a difference. Thoughts?
Cleared my box. My number is there. Call it if you want.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 AM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you will get replacement of like kind , but it is in dollar value and you then go buy wheels. In this case you are doing an upgrade and an ins policy is again like kind and not an upgrade so you would pay out of your pocket the extra dollars for an upgrade. They will not replace tires not damaged by incident, it must be a peril or loss incurred to be eligible for claim
Old 06-03-2017, 09:28 AM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rdline
you will get replacement of like kind , but it is in dollar value and you then go buy wheels. In this case you are doing an upgrade and an ins policy is again like kind and not an upgrade so you would pay out of your pocket the extra dollars for an upgrade. They will not replace tires not damaged by incident, it must be a peril or loss incurred to be eligible for claim
Most likely tires are NOT the most important thing you should be worried about at this time. You need to get your vehicle to a shop and have them inspect it for other damage. If you hit a curb/median at 40-50 you will have other damage. Find a reputable shop and let them fight your battle with the insurance co.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:29 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be hesitant to take a check from an adjuster if one is offered. Until you have a competent body and suspension person inspect the underside, you may be in for some significant repairs as someone else already explained. Hope it turns out that nothing was damaged, but my guess is that you are lucky if you only need new rims, tires and a four wheel alignment. 40MPH into a curb put one really large shock load into your suspension. Others may know what loads they are designed to withstand. I don't know that. Points where the suspension tie into the underside of your car could possibly be damaged, or suspension components damaged. Maybe you should also check to see if you scraped the oil pan across that curb.
I hope I am being overly cautious and that you have no issues other than those that are obvious in your photos.
A few years ago, my daughter went across a median curb at a much lower speed while driving the family sedan. We were fortunate to only need a tire and an alignment. Somehow the scrape across the front cross member didn't extend to the oil pan.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:51 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
Most likely tires are NOT the most important thing you should be worried about at this time. You need to get your vehicle to a shop and have them inspect it for other damage. If you hit a curb/median at 40-50 you will have other damage. Find a reputable shop and let them fight your battle with the insurance co.
I'd absolutely agree with this post! Even low speed impacts can cause alignment issues and/or suspension component damage. Have your car checked out thoroughly by a reputable shop.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Run off the road - insurance Claim Questions

Quick Reply: Run off the road - insurance Claim Questions