C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:06 AM
pfloor
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by red430
Where did you buy the micro switches ?
I used these...

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...w-roller-lever

The are roller ends but work perfectly and fit (snap in) without any modification other than soldering them.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I drilled a hole in the pawl and tied it back permanently (hopefully).
Old 06-25-2017, 08:56 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I drilled a hole in the pawl and tied it back permanently (hopefully).
Unless the wire breaks, that will be the only permanent solution. No one has reported that their wire ever broke.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 AM
red430
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info, just ordered the switches from RadioShack .
Old 08-18-2017, 05:08 AM
Holster Maker
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Low FOB Battery caused mine to get stuck

My '08 started sticking numerous times and I used some of the tricks to release it and eventually it was stuck and couldn't get it out. I remember reading about a guy that replaced his FOB Battery and hasn't acted-up since. So last week I replaced my FOB Battery and the damn thing shifts like butter and hasn't stuck since. Looking back on it, I saw once during one of my occurrences a DIC of "low fob Batt" and it was quick, I almost missed seeing it.

I believe it is all related to a low FOB battery that these goofy engineers did to prevent you from leaving with a low FOB Battery and lock yourself out of your car and then forgot to put it in the owner's manual.
My Thoughts!
The following users liked this post:
Silver Epoch (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:26 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I think it is all caused by not eating enough carrots. I ate some carrots once and mine has worked flawlessly ever since. Hey, we all have thoughts.

Hint: the FOB has absolutely nothing to do with shifting the transmission in any way. Try this, start the car, get out and put the FOB in the house. Now go back and shift out of park. See, the FOB is not needed whether it has a good battery or not.

The FOB is for security. Pressing the brake before shifting out of park is not a security function. It is a safety feature just like lighting a warning on the dash if you have a door open. The FOB is used to lock/unlock access to the car and start the engine. As an incidental feature it has a panic button and identifies the driver that last pushed a button to adjust the seat, radio, mirrors, etc.. If the FOB were communicating all the time as would be required if it were doing things like making sure the brake was pressed before shifting out of park, then the battery life would be measured in weeks not years.
owc6 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:25 AM
pfloor
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
I believe it is all related to a low FOB battery that these goofy engineers did to prevent you from leaving with a low FOB Battery and lock yourself out of your car and then forgot to put it in the owner's manual.
My Thoughts!
You may believe that and it "might" be true or it might just be coincidence. Your evidence/diagnosis is purely anecdotal. I am not saying that a key fob can't be a cause but to say it is ALL related to a key fob is wholly inaccurate.

1) Mine was doing it since I bought it and my car only came with one fob. I purchased a brand new second fob and installed a brand new battery and that made no difference regardless which fob was used, I always had to push the shifter forward to release it out of park and occasionally would not shift out of park until the car cooled down and/or I did the "Corvette shifter dance". As a matter of fact, my wife (who received the brand new fob with the brand new battery) got stuck at the store for 30 minutes and refused to drive the car again until it was fixed.

2) Careful and thorough diagnosis with tools and meters proved that one of the micro switches in the shifter was in fact bad. These microswitches are intended to be open or closed with no resistance. The switch in question had 1500 ohms in the normal engaged position where it is required to engage the solenoid but the solenoid will not engage with any resistance in the circuit and that resistance is what caused the failure.

3) Since replacing the switches, the shifter shifts without "pushing it forward" (a habit that I have yet to thoroughly break) and has not stuck in park for the last 3 months (it used to stick at least once a week).

That is my experience and there is plenty more evidence that the microswitches are the most common cause. And besides that, you shouldn't be able to "lock yourself out of the car", that is what the "goofy engineers" included the emergency key is for.

Last edited by pfloor; 08-18-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:03 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
There is also a fix that doesn't break/permanently disable the parking pawl. Especially helpful for those that understand that this could possibly be a danger.

Instead of breaking or permanently tying back the locking pawl, you can do the same "drill through it and tie it back," but instead drill a hole through the center console with a tether and loop, so when it isn't behaving you can just pull it physically.

I've had the dreaded shifter lockout. I'ver read probably all the corvette forum posts and also watched the Youtube video showing cutting off the brawl so it won't ever re-occur. I like your solution!!!! Whenever a stuck shifter occurs, the repair should include the manual release you show!
Also, look in the Owner's Manual. The Park release normally occurs when you push the shift lever button with the engine running and the brake pedal pressed. It will also should release if you are in the "Accessory" mode and press the shift lever button. Always keep in mind that many Corvette problems can be solved by reading the pamphlets written by the Mexican guy Manual.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Holster Maker
Instructor

I agree "All" is inappropriate, there can be other issues too! However, the other fellow said the same. Really weird, his and mine immediately worked fine and still does. Time will tell, exactly why the other guy waited 6 months before saying anything. I know it sounds totally ridiculous, but I now have no problems so far. Just sharing my experiences!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:31 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
I agree "All" is inappropriate, there can be other issues too! However, the other fellow said the same. Really weird, his and mine immediately worked fine and still does. Time will tell, exactly why the other guy waited 6 months before saying anything. I know it sounds totally ridiculous, but I now have no problems so far. Just sharing my experiences!
And that's the reason this forum is becoming more useless every day. Too many people sharing their "experiences" without any knowledge of what is really going on and unwilling to learn. Did you try the experiment I gave you that would prove which one of us is right? Everyone is free to express their opinions but facts are not negotiable. The solution is the microswitch, not what you had for breakfast no mater what your "experience" says.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

[QUOTE=FortMorganAl;1595400654]And that's the reason this forum is becoming more useless every day. Too many people sharing their "experiences" without any knowledge of what is really going on and unwilling to learn.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Holster Maker
Instructor

[QUOTE=FortMorganAl;1595387614]I think it is all caused by not eating enough carrots. I ate some carrots once and mine has worked flawlessly ever since. Hey, we all have thoughts.

Hint: the FOB has absolutely nothing to do with shifting the transmission in any way. Try this, start the car, get out and put the FOB in the house. Now go back and shift out of park. See, the FOB is not needed whether it has a good battery or not.
________________________________________ _______________________
Okay I will do the test. My vehicle: '08 C6 Z51 A6
I started the car and took the FOB to the very back bedroom and left it. I returned to the car and Park was stuck (couldn't get it out of park) engine running (pushed brake). I returned to the bedroom obtained the FOB and took it out of PARK (pushed brake) and left!

Proof the FOB is related to the shift mechanism.
Think about it, The engineers would not let you leave without a FOB or Low battery FOB.

Not saying this is the problem, just ONE of many different problems.
My Bottomline...change your FOB battery once a year!

Last edited by Holster Maker; 08-21-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM
owc6
Team Owner

The car only checks to see if a fob is in range in a few instances; when you press a door pad, when you start the car, when you shut the engine off, and when you shut the driver's door. It may also check again when autolock is enabled if a fob is left when the drivers door is shut.

You can start the car and throw the fob out the window, and the car will not know until you shut the car off.

The car is not constantly querying the fob.

Last edited by owc6; 08-21-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 PM
pfloor
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=Holster Maker;1595409851]
Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I think it is all caused by not eating enough carrots. I ate some carrots once and mine has worked flawlessly ever since. Hey, we all have thoughts.

________________________________________ _______________________
Okay I will do the test. My vehicle: '08 C6 Z51 A6
I started the car and took the FOB to the very back bedroom and left it. I returned to the car and Park was stuck (couldn't get it out of park) engine running (pushed brake). I returned to the bedroom obtained the FOB and took it out of PARK (pushed brake) and left!

Proof the FOB is related to the shift mechanism.
Think about it, The engineers would not let you leave without a FOB or Low battery FOB.

Not saying this is the problem, just ONE of many different problems.
My Bottomline...change your FOB battery once a year!
My testing was completely opposite.

1) Started Car.
2) Put both FOBs in bedroom.
3) When I came back to the garage, the car was still unlocked (I have auto locks set) and running and it shifted out of Park.
4) Drove 1/2 block away to make sure and shifted from drive to park and back several times without issue and car remained unlocked.
5) Tried to turn car off, DIC showed "NO FOBS DETECTED" Pressed off a second time and turned off car (it will not turn off on the first try if the FOB is not detected).
6) Needless to say, I had to walk home and get a FOB to unlock door and get the car back home.

Also tested the accessory mode with the same results. Once the car is started (or the accessory is on), the FOB has no bearing on the shifter. You can continue to shift out of Park until you turn off the engine or accessory. Once the car is off, the power to the shifter solenoid circuit is cut and no longer works. As far as my testing revealed, the shifter solenoid circuit is solely dependent on accessory or ignition power and not the presence (or absence) of a FOB.

Only difference is mine is a 2007 and yours is a 2008. They did change the FOBs "look" but internally they are supposed to be the same because the 2008 style FOB will work on my 2007. The only difference is the emergency key blade is shorter on the newer models. Did they change the BCM programming? I doubt it but I will test some newer cars in our club next time there is a get together and find out definitively for myself.

Last edited by pfloor; 08-21-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:23 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Both C6 fob styles are interchangeable, and there is no functionality difference. The keys are not compatible w/o modification.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

It's the "Eating Carrots" Syndrome...
Old 08-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I was talking to a guy at a Corvette car show on Saturday, and he was having this problem.

We agreed that we don't understand how people will spend a large sum of money on a Corvette, spend a lot of money on mods but do a cheap *** fix on a problem that could be a safety issue rather than fix it right.

I fix it right.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Stuck in Park

Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 AM
Holster Maker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
I was talking to a guy at a Corvette car show on Saturday, and he was having this problem.

We agreed that we don't understand how people will spend a large sum of money on a Corvette, spend a lot of money on mods but do a cheap *** fix on a problem that could be a safety issue rather than fix it right.

I fix it right.
Absolutely!!
Now after owning a bunch of C6's I've learned one thing, when the shifter sticks in Park I'm going to change my FOB battery FIRST!

Pfloor: BTW, The '07 is a different car, '08+ has about 2 pages of enhancements and who knows what they really did trying to solve different problems.

Last edited by Holster Maker; 08-24-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Out of curiosity, I tested my 2008 and it absolutely will not shift out of park once I remove the FOB from the vehicle. I get the "FOB NOT DETECTED" message when pressing the brake and it wont release the shifter mechanism. You don't even hear it click like it does when you have the FOB. Go get the FOB and it shifts again. I would say there is probably some truth to the 08+ being a bit different.... If everyone knew everything about these vehicles or just read a book to get all the approved answers, this forum wouldn't be any fun, nor would it be necessary.
Holster Maker (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
Out of curiosity, I tested my 2008 and it absolutely will not shift out of park once I remove the FOB from the vehicle. I get the "FOB NOT DETECTED" message when pressing the brake and it wont release the shifter mechanism. You don't even hear it click like it does when you have the FOB. Go get the FOB and it shifts again. I would say there is probably some truth to the 08+ being a bit different.... If everyone knew everything about these vehicles or just read a book to get all the approved answers, this forum wouldn't be any fun, nor would it be necessary.
Yea....I know this is right. This forum can definitely be full of some bad and inaccurate information. But shame on anyone that tries to bring that up in a post. If one starts questioning the validity of some info, or the "general knowledge" of the people doing the questionable post they are immediately chastised for being a smart A$$ trouble maker.....LOL....
Holster Maker (08-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Question about Stuck in Park