C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive vs Sport mode ( automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM
kharouf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drive vs Sport mode ( automatic)

what is the main difference between them? does drive have better fuel econ than sport mode? both of them i notice both are always looking for higher gears. I think GM should keep lower gears when in sport mode.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:48 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

S for working the paddles.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:49 AM
kharouf
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
S for working the paddles.

i dont use paddles, but thats the only difference in sport mode?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

All you need to do is look at page 9-29 of your operators manual:

When in S (Sport Mode), the transmission will work as an automatic until you use the Manual Paddle Shift Controls, which activates driver manual gear selection.
See Manual Mode on page 9‑29.

While in S (Sport Mode), the transmission will have more
noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM
kharouf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
All you need to do is look at page 9-29 of your operators manual:

When in S (Sport Mode), the transmission will work as an automatic until you use the Manual Paddle Shift Controls, which activates driver manual gear selection.

noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance.

so in that case its better always in sport mode? lol
Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by kharouf

so in that case its better always in sport mode? lol
In the case of "more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance" while in 'Sport' mode, I noticed this to be true at wide open throttle, but during normal driving, I don't notice any difference at all.

I think the Sport mode would be best during drag racing ... other than that, I leave mine in the regular Drive mode.

BTW ... using the paddles are pretty much useless for drag racing.

For drag racing, I would just turn off the Traction Control, and put the transmission in Sport mode, and then let the car shift by itself (not using the paddles)
The following 4 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
ls7plus (02-03-2019), MidYearRoadster (06-15-2017), Mikey965 (12-10-2022), Ratical 08 (09-10-2019)
Old 06-15-2017, 03:06 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It really depends on what year you have. GM changed the tune quite a bit through the run.

S will hold a lower gear longer if you are driving aggressively. Not much difference under normal stop and go traffic.
The following 3 users liked this post by wayback:
Al. (11-23-2020), Mikey965 (12-10-2022), Trebor (09-10-2019)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
It really depends on what year you have. GM changed the tune quite a bit through the run.

S will hold a lower gear longer if you are driving aggressively. Not much difference under normal stop and go traffic.

And it shifts harder

Dave
Old 02-03-2019, 03:50 AM
ls7plus
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayback

Sounds like it offers the same quicker shifts and longer gear holding as the "sport" setting does in my 8 speed Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi. The differences in "sport" versus normal are pretty significant in that vehicle.

Best to all,

Larry
Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Old Man in a C
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 133 Posts

So you're saying that if I have the tranny in "S" (sport mode), and don't use the paddles, it will still shift, but harder? Can't believe I didn't know that. I always thought Sport Mode simply activated paddle shifting. Duh

QUOTE=

noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

When you go to Sport mode and do not touch the paddles it will shift as an automatic...but if you touch the paddles it will stay in manual mode until you shift back to drive then back down to sport to go back to automatic mode.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 AM
tsmart
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been confused too, even after reading. When in D, doesnt the car start off in second gear ? When sitting in drive, i shift to sport, only then does the DIC show I am in first gear. Whats the point of a vette starting from a stop in second?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I just have the habit of always pulling the selector all the way down to Sport mode. I do use the paddles a lot however and I have modified my paddles to down shift on the left and upshift on the right and added custom paddles. I think gas milage might be slightly better in t=just the drive mode as the shifts are a little sooner then in sport and they are smoother. I for one do not get overly concerned about mileage. If I was worried about it I wouldn't own a Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
BIGGDADDYWIGGS (07-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Funny, on the way into work I was thinking of asking a question related to this and I see this post resurrected. I had the same setup in my Camaro 2SS, and it had a tune on it, that made Sport A TON more aggressive. It shifted so much quicker.

Anyway, I always left the car in Sport mode and have done the same with the Vette. Rarely do I put it in Drive.
Though, it doesn't shift nearly as fast as the tuned Camaro did, it is a bit noticeable compared to Drive, but nothing dramatic. I need to get a tune for my SCTX4 on the Vette to get that shift speed updated.

I still think GM definitely has the A6 set to up shift way too soon. One reason I do use the paddles is to keep in down a gear to keep the RPMs up a bit when I am driving through the curvy back roads to stay in the power band. No reason to be in sixth gear at 45mph. I know they do it for the fuel economy, but would be nice if Sport would be a bit more... Sportier.

Also, I had the same thing happen with the Camaro and have noticed it occasionally with the Vette, I will be in Sport mode and locked into a gear cruising and it feels like there is a.... almost a shift, but it isn't as the car is still in the same gear say 3rd, but it feels like it shifts. Seems weird, maybe just the engine, but almost feels like it downshifts? This is usually at very low speed going in the neighborhood. Anyone experience this?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Speed07
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tsmart
I have been confused too, even after reading. When in D, doesnt the car start off in second gear ? When sitting in drive, i shift to sport, only then does the DIC show I am in first gear. Whats the point of a vette starting from a stop in second?
The way I understand it, when in D the trans will start in 1st gear. When in S and using the paddles, it will start in 2nd gear unless you use the paddles to shift down to 1st.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
In the case of "more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance" while in 'Sport' mode, I noticed this to be true at wide open throttle, but during normal driving, I don't notice any difference at all.

I think the Sport mode would be best during drag racing ... other than that, I leave mine in the regular Drive mode.

BTW ... using the paddles are pretty much useless for drag racing.

For drag racing, I would just turn off the Traction Control, and put the transmission in Sport mode, and then let the car shift by itself (not using the paddles)
Yes. When I first got mine I practiced with the paddles, which was a far cry from a three-on-the-tree or floorshift. I can shift those subconsciously but not so with the paddles. Someone on this forum suggested to just drive around as you would normally, but use the paddles so you get used to them. That helped, and I still do that sometimes. It's very hilly where I live and I like to downshift when necessary.

With none of this coming by rote, starting out in 1st with full throttle, the redline comes quick -- and avoiding the rev limiter but not shifting too early has to be learned. I decided that I didn't want to beat the crap out of it that much so I just use "S" and let 'er rip.

Somebody above me asked, and I've seen this debated before, but does anybody know FOR SURE that if in "S" from a dead stop, and not using the paddles, does it start out in first? If it didn't, it would all seem pretty pointless. Who wants to race starting out in second?

Last edited by Bruze; 03-19-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Who wants to race starting out in second?
A guy with crappy tires on his C6?!?!?!?!

Get notified of new replies

To Drive vs Sport mode ( automatic)

Old 03-20-2019, 01:32 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I can't confirm what GM did on the A6 tuning in years before and after '08, but that year starts in 1st in D or S as long as you don't activate the paddles which force it into paddle mode until you shift out of S.
Automatic WOT shifts come at 6300 RPM in D and 6500 RPM in S. If you activate the paddles and go WOT, you'll hit the rev limiter about 6700 RPM unless you paddle shift to the next gear. If you are cruising and the converter clutch has locked up, feeding a bit of throttle will release the lock-up and the car will feel like you did a slight downshift, since you're getting a bit of boost from the converter.

You can change lots of parameters with HP Tuners to whatever suits your fancy. Beware that hard shifts may feel like old school shift kits, but transmission life will be shorter. The 3-4 shift is the weak point in the 6L80 trans.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
CWIC (09-09-2019), Telepierre (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I can't confirm what GM did on the A6 tuning in years before and after '08, but that year starts in 1st in D or S as long as you don't activate the paddles which force it into paddle mode until you shift out of S.
Automatic WOT shifts come at 6300 RPM in D and 6500 RPM in S. If you activate the paddles and go WOT, you'll hit the rev limiter about 6700 RPM unless you paddle shift to the next gear. If you are cruising and the converter clutch has locked up, feeding a bit of throttle will release the lock-up and the car will feel like you did a slight downshift, since you're getting a bit of boost from the converter.

You can change lots of parameters with HP Tuners to whatever suits your fancy. Beware that hard shifts may feel like old school shift kits, but transmission life will be shorter. The 3-4 shift is the weak point in the 6L80 trans.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:26 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Also, I had the same thing happen with the Camaro and have noticed it occasionally with the Vette, I will be in Sport mode and locked into a gear cruising and it feels like there is a.... almost a shift, but it isn't as the car is still in the same gear say 3rd, but it feels like it shifts. Seems weird, maybe just the engine, but almost feels like it downshifts? This is usually at very low speed going in the neighborhood. Anyone experience this?
Can't say for sure because I've never owned a Chevy with a slush box but it sounds like what you are experiencing is the torque converter clutch going in and out of lockup.

Quick Reply: Drive vs Sport mode ( automatic)